• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What can we do from 12:00 PM to 5:45 PM in Key West?

oldshovelhead

A Disney Family
My DW :bride: and I pirate: are going to be on the Wonder, sailing from Miami on 2/26/14:boat:. One of the ports is Key West, FL. The Itinerary says we'll be there from 12:00 noon until 5:45 PM. What is there to do in Key West in that short of a period of time? I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves.:hug: Shopping? Food? Suggestions?:)

I always enjoy the butterfly conservatory! There is also the Hemmingway house where you can meet his 6-toed cats that run freely around the grounds. The Main Street has tons of little shops and pubs. It's been a few years since I last went but there was one eatery I went to that looked like an old wooden outside pub covered in vines which had great food, drinks, and atmosphere. I just don't remember the name.

Parasailing is much cheaper at Key West than it is Castaway Cay through Disney and it is only takes about an hour so we will still have time left to explore/shop some before returning to the ship.

Go see the Southernmost Point area. Its a great photo op! Also the milepost 0 sign.
And I recommend the frozen Key Lime Pie on a stick as a nice treat.
(Why grab a meal when that is included in your cruise?!?)

We loved Key West and thought it was so cool. We just walked around and explored. Our family likes to geocache and we did some of that too.

Southernmost point in the US is a must, followed by a nice relaxing stroll around the town and then a pit stop at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. ;)

We were thinking of doing the Hop On/Off Trolley and visiting the Butterfly Conservatory and the Aquarium when we hit Key West in October.

We were not sure if we would have enough time. Any thoughts? :confused3

Good thread. We were wondering what to do as well, since most of the Shore Exs have an age requirement and our DD will only be 7.

We were thinking of doing the Hop On/Off Trolley and visiting the Butterfly Conservatory and the Aquarium when we hit Key West in October.

We were not sure if we would have enough time. Any thoughts? :confused3

I'd invite your brother to join you

Hemingway house was great! DD loved the six-toed cats, I lost count of the number she just had to pet. ;) Little Whitehouse (Truman's home), and of course Frozen Key Lime Pie on a Stick at Kermits! YUM!!!! We didn't make it to the southern most point because torrential down pour cut our visit short, but we found it really easy to get around, walking everywhere we did make it to.

It's really fun to grab a drink at Sloppy Joe's or Hog's Breath if you like outdoor bars. I was a little disappointed in Margaritaville, as it's indoors and kind of dark...doesn't match the tropical theme, IMHO. There's lots of fun shops...you can just walk around and people-watch.

We just vacationed in Key West in May. There are plenty of things to do and you can walk to do them. The trolley hop is great, you get on and off whenever you want until I think 5:30 or so and you get a tour by the driver. When we did a cruise several yrs. ago we paid for a gps tour, but the trolleys do a much better job. We ate at Hard Rock when there before, but found many nice restaurants while on vacation.

For two adults, the Little White House and the Hemingway House are doable in that time frame. We did both in January along with the Hop On Hop Off Trolley (Old Town Trolley). But we had a couple of more hours than you do - I think we were in port from 9am to 3:30pm.

Both of these are an easy walk from the ship (if docked near Malory Square - not the Navy Pier). Heck you probably could walk to the "Southernmost" Point and back also (Hemingway house over halfway there). The "tourist" part of key west is very walk-able!!

Take a Trolley Tour, eat at Blue Heaven, visit the Southern Most Point, have a conch fritter snack! Those are my fav things in Key West and plenty of time to get them all in!

For two adults, the Little White House and the Hemingway House are doable in that time frame. We did both in January along with the Hop On Hop Off Trolley (Old Town Trolley). But we had a couple of more hours than you do - I think we were in port from 9am to 3:30pm
From 12pm to 5:45 pm is 5 3/4 hours. From 9am to 3:30pm is 6 1/2 hours. So you were there only 45 minutes longer than the OP will be. Which means they can likely do the same as you did! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

Back in 2011, my wife, daugter (7 at the time) and I managed to have lunch at Margaritaville (to this day, the best cheeseburger I've ever had), visit the Hemingway House and then take the trolley tour around the island (didn't have time to explore, but at least we could see the highlights whizzing by).

Plenty of time for some conch fritters at an outdoor restaurant, some key lime pie on a stick from Kermit's, and a few cold drinks at my very favorite bar, Irish Kevin's! (Right next to Sloppy Joe's)

Sláinte!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter