What can I easily skip from WDW? What are must-dos?

awndrayuhhh

Earning My Ears
I've been to Disney World so many times (the last was in 2019) but I'm planning my first solo trip to Disneyland over Labor Day weekend. I know it will be busy but I'm going alone and a lot of things are repeats so I want to know - what things can I easily skip over that are basically the exact same as WDW? And which things are one-of-a-kind that I absolutely should make sure I don't miss?

Do not miss:
Pirates as I hear it’s longer and the drop is better
Matterhorn
Indiana Jones
Mr road wild ride
Storybook land canal boats
Finding Nemo subs (if open)

There are many attractions that are similar between WDW and DL but I wouldn't skip any of them. The quality of attractions far surpasses the quality in WDW (I.e. Pirates, Space Mountain, Peter Pan). None of the attractions are 'the same'. The only exceptions arguably are Splash, Big Thunder Mountain and Jungle Cruise which I prefer in MK. Disneyland fequently updates and improves their attractions on a scale that WDW doesnt. They are also held to a higher standard than WDW by guests. The Fantasyland dark rides are so incredibly charming; Matterhorn is a classic and unique; Radiator Springs (if its running: are you visiting DCA?); the new Avengers Campus; Fantasmic; Indianna Jones; a smooth as butter Space Mountian. I can go on... do everything you can... except Autopia 😌

Do not skip Pirates, the DL version is far superior.

Same is true for Big Thunder (and you don't want to miss the goat!).

I think Peter Pan is way better in WDW because the queue is far superior and the ride is the same.

The railroad and Casey Jr are iconic DL this that were pure Walt, so you don't want to miss those.

In DCA, definitely hit RSR. It's a perfect combo of dark ride and coaster.

Skip: Star Tours (lower capacity than WDW), Toy Story Midway Mania, Soarin' unless you really want to see the DL ending scene, Little Mermaid. All are essentially identical to their WDW counterparts, though Little Mermaid is generally easier to get on than in MK. Pooh is easy to ride with a minimal wait but is worse than the WDW version. I don't care for the POTC version of TSI and would also consider that to be very skippable and not worth the time commitment.

Must-dos: Pirates, Space, Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, Storybook, the Railroad (ideally the whole circuit starting from Main Street, but bare minimum ride from Tomorrowland to Main Street), Small World, SBC walkthrough, Mr. Toad. All are suitably unique from the WDW versions and/or are quintessential Disneyland experiences.

At DCA, make sure you do Guardians and Radiator Springs Racers.

I'm going to put these in skip and don't skip categories by park.

Skip in DLR: Buzz, Star Tours, MFSR, Rise, Jungle Cruise, Splash, Winnie the Pooh
Skip in CA: Little Mermaid, Goofy Sky School, Soarin, Grizzly River Run (unless you like getting soaked), Jumping Jellyfish, Toy Story Midway Mania.

Don't skip in DLR: Fantasyland (all of it is great), Space Mountain (totally different), Matterhorn (Space Mountain outdoors), Autotopia (if you like it in WDW, it's even better), Indy (what the Dinosaur ride should be), Haunted Mansion (Hatbox Ghost), Railroad, Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough, Pirates of the Caribbean (simply for the opening boat ride which is maybe my favorite part of DLR), and Monorail.

Don't skip in CA: Cars Land (the single best themed land in all the US Disney parks), Avengers Campus + Guardians, Incredicoaster, all the rest of Pixar Pier minus the above rides in Skip in CA, Monster's Inc dark ride.

I definitely agree with some of the previously mentioned skip-able rides at DLR (Soarin, Toy Story, Little Mermaid at DCA and Star Tours, Pooh and Jungle Cruise at DL), and I would add the water rides (IMO splash is better at WDW and Grizzly = Kali River at AK), but Labor Day weekend is usually hot hot hot so you may want to still do them… Peter Pan is meh at DLR.

Must do which are way better at DLR: Space, Pirates, Small World, Big Thunder (I prefer at DLR but my hubby prefers WDW), Buzz (awful at WDW).

I would consider everything else a must-do including the nighttime entertainment, although fireworks can be a disappointment at DLR if they’re canceled. Have fun and enjoy how close the parks are to each other if you’re planning to park hop!

Went to WDW for the first time in 2019. Returned from the trip thinking Magic Kingdom would be a half day, maybe a single day park in the future. Don't want to sound like a DL snob, but many of the rides there were a one and done for me. Wanted to experience the WDW version once, after that no need to do them again. mdmost's list is a very good guide to go by. I wouldn't skip Goofy's Sky School though :)

Went to WDW for the first time in 2019. Returned from the trip thinking Magic Kingdom would be a half day, maybe a single day park in the future. Don't want to sound like a DL snob, but many of the rides there were a one and done for me. Wanted to experience the WDW version once, after that no need to do them again. mdmost's list is a very good guide to go by. I wouldn't skip Goofy's Sky School though :)
We had the same thought at WDW. I have no need to go on their Pirates ever again. I do love their Jungle Cruise, and 7 Dwarves is fun albeit too short. Laugh Floor might be my favorite thing at MK though!

the only one I am skipping is RotR its the same and the lines are massive. No thanks. Other then that-- im not missing any

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily skip anything as there are always little differences except in a few cases. Some are better at WDW, some are better at DLR.

Exactly the same: Star Tours, Rise of the Resistance, Smuggler's Run, Toy Story Mania

Similar and Skippable: Jungle Cruise (no tunnel), Peter Pan (slightly rearranged and differnt staging), Mad Tea Party (no canopy), Dumbo (single unit), Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (different cars, slightly rearranged), Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters (handheld blasters, better targeting system), Astro Orbiter (ground level), Soarin' (end scene at Disneyland)

Similar but Different Enough to See: DL Railroad (Dioramas in section between Fantasyland and Mainstreet), Pirates of the Caribbean (longer, more scenes), Haunted Mansion (shorter but some different scenes), Big Thunder Mountain (reversed and more effects), Splash Mountain (single-file, different scenes), It's a Small World (different staging and some DIsney characters worked in), Tiki Room (longer show, fountain)

Same name but Quite Different: Space Mountain (completely different than WDW Space, side-by-side seating)

Different Name but Similar: Matterhorn (same ride system/cars as Space Mountain WDW), Indiana Jones (Dinosaur), King Arthur Carousel (Prince Charming Carousel) Autopia (Speedway), Mission: Breakout (Tower of Terror), Grizzly RIver Run (Kali River Rapids), Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (Alien Swirling Saucers), King Arthur Carousel (Prince Charming Carousel)

Wholly Unique: Snow White's Enchanted Wish, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Mister Toad's Wild Ride, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Monster's Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue, WEB Slingers, Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters, Radiator Springs Racers (though similar system to Test Track it is so much more!), Incredicoaster, Pixar Pal-a-Round, Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind, Silly Symphony Swings, Golden Zephyr, Jumpin' Jellyfish, Goofy's Sky School (though this is a little similar to now-defunct Primeval Whirl)

That may not be comprehensive since I did it form memory, but I hope it helps!

Last edited:
The Toy Story themed rides and anything in Star Wars Galaxy's Edge are carbon copy clones. CarsLand is an absolute must. The theming is amazing, and it looks especially wonderful at night with all the retro vintage neon glow. RSR is a fantastic ride. Pirates is also very different from its WDW counterpart so that is something you should ride as well. I haven't been yet, but Avengers Campus is only in Disneyland.

IF HM is open for your dates (official start of Halloween has not been announced so we don't know yet) it will have the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay which, IMO, makes it a must do as even though the overall ride is similar this overlay is unique to DL and is a HUGE transformation. I've only been on HM at WDW once but I prefer DL regular HM too. If Halloweentime has not started yet for Labor Day weekend, HM will be closed (to install the overlay).

UPDATE: Haunted Mansion Holiday will be up for 2022 Labor Day weekend, also updated post below.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone mentioned it's a Small World yet - it's the original from the NY World's Fair and they have updated it with Disney characters made to look like the dolls. It's far superior to the Florida version. Don't miss Alice in Wonderland, Storybook Land Canal, Mr. Toad, Snow White, etc. in Fantasyland.

I don't think anyone mentioned it's a Small World yet - it's the original from the NY World's Fair and they have updated it with Disney characters made to look like the dolls. It's far superior to the Florida version. Don't miss Alice in Wonderland, Storybook Land Canal, Mr. Toad, Snow White, etc. in Fantasyland.
I agree with the exception that the all white costume room finale in the WDW version is superior.

If you're by yourself, you walk quickly, and you have multiple days in the parks, you'll likely be able to do anything and everything given you're getting Genie+ and also willing to purchase Individual Lightning Lanes. You should be able to do your favorites multiple times. I personally wouldn't skip anything you might want to do because most attractions have at least subtle differences, even if it's just in the queue. And if you're really into Disney parks, you'll appreciate those differences.

We had the same thought at WDW. I have no need to go on their Pirates ever again. I do love their Jungle Cruise, and 7 Dwarves is fun albeit too short. Laugh Floor might be my favorite thing at MK though!
We skipped Laugh Floor :( No interest/time to do it on the trip. Same feeling for pirates, once was enough for the rest of our lives :) When we go back, i think it will be 2 days at EPCOT, 2 at Animal Kingdom, one or 1/2 at Magic Kingdom, and one at Hollywood Studios.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter