• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Can Guys Wear at DLR Thats Not a FannyPack?

dnamertz

DIS Veteran
The only time in my life I've ever wore a fanny-pack is at DL. I know they are extremely unfashionable, but when you're at DL for an entire day it's the only thing I've know about that carries what I need.

Being a man, I can't carry a purse, and something like a backpack is much bigger than I need, and pockets aren't big enough. I need something that can carry some snacks and diabetes supplies as well as cash, credit cards, and DL tickets.

Any suggestions on something to use at DL that is smaller than a backpack but not as tacky as a fanny-pack?

Possibly a cross body messenger bag.

I prefer that style myself, as a standard lady's bag is sometimes heavy and awkward to carry all day and back packs are sometimes overkill and warm in the summer months.

When DH carries a bag, he carries an ammo bag (his is army green and he wears it cross-body); I'm not found if it, though (as it doesn't zip close, a must in my opinion). My sister's BF carries a camera bag that is a monopack (it's pretty small) or a small messenger bag and one of my other friends carries a small Camelback, without the bladder as an in-park bag. I would explore a small backpack, monopack or messenger bag.

I'm thinking a messager bag too - google image "Man Bag" and you'll see heaps of men wearing them.

I've got a black Patagonia atom, it's a single strap backpack that is much smaller than a regular backpack. It's comfortable and large enough to hold everything I need in a park but small enough to easily stash between my legs on rides. It's even got adjustable straps on the back that I can use to secure a coat if I need one.

I'm not sure of your personal style, or exactly how big the items you are talking about, but what about cargo shorts? I can fit an amazingly large amount of stuff in mine...

Pro--no bag to lose, still get to skip bag check (at least at WDW);

Con--if the things are super heavy or bulky, it does get slightly annoying sometimes.

Hope this helps.

Scott

I just use a nondescript fanny pack with a water bottle clipped to it and sling it over my shoulder. No law that says it has to fastened around your waist.

Another vote for the Camelbak. DH is enough of an outdoors buff that we have a whole series to choose from, but one on the small side seems to be perfect for us. We fill the bladder with ice and water in the morning and sip on it all day, which is really nice. And there are a couple of pockets, but not so many that you feel weighed down. We can fit some snacks, maybe a small container of baby wipes, etc. So that might be a good fit for you! They are designed for outdoor wear, so they fit close to the body, which is really nice.

Another vote for a monopack /sling backpack here. This is one I got from Eddie Bauer last year, which has plenty of room for a water bottle, the standard "travel kit" I carry into the parks (things like a poncho, sunscreen, various pills, etc.,) a few snacks and other stuff like cell phones and cameras. Usually I've even got room for a T-shirt or other small souvenir if I pick one up. Previously I used another slightly smaller one, but it didn't have quite as much space, and the strap got annoying after a while.

IMAG1543_1-1.jpg

...I need something that can carry some snacks and diabetes supplies as well as cash, credit cards, and DL tickets.
I wear a Scottevest.
p2_travel_vest-split_x_ray.jpg

Everything is safely zipped into pockets, and all my pants pockets are empty.

The new Tropiformer Jacket is very lightweight and has removable sleeves :thumbsup2
I currently own a lightweight vest that has been discontinued, basically replaced by the Tropiformer -- might be time to upgrade :goodvibes

I keep tickets on a lanyard, and zip them into a front vertical pocket (at chest level) for extra security.

My husband carries a sling backpack like those pictures above. He has used one on the last several trips we have taken. It is the perfect size for everything he needs for the day, and not too big. :)

at DL I've found that cargo shorts have enough space. Phone, spare battery, money, wallet, and sunglasses in a case. At WDW I just take a backpack.

My brother does a small camelbak and my cousin goes with a small messenger bag. The messenger bag seems to hold a lot more but my brother has water for the day so it depends on preference!

Are you completely opposed to have anything strapped around your waist? I only ask because where I live, Utah, I always see guys wearing hiking waist packs. (Technically, they're called lumbar packs, so you're fanny isn't even an issue.) They seem to be larger than a typical fanny pack, sturdier, and can carry your water. I often think the people wearing them are just outdoorsy, rugged type, not goofy-looking at all.
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog..._-The North Face Mountain Lumbar TNF Black OS

or

http://www.ems.com/product/index.js...g&matchtype=&gclid=COP51LnH67gCFUJlMgod9wwAng

Otherwise, a messenger bag would probably be best. Cargo pants might work too. Good luck finding what you need.

We have a light weight "sackpack" by under armour that is very comfortable and can hold as little or as much as you need it too. I liked it so much that it became our diaper bag after our first trip.

I'm not sure of your personal style, or exactly how big the items you are talking about, but what about cargo shorts? I can fit an amazingly large amount of stuff in mine...

Pro--no bag to lose, still get to skip bag check (at least at WDW);

Con--if the things are super heavy or bulky, it does get slightly annoying sometimes.

Hope this helps.

Scott
This is exactly what i do too. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter