• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What can a child get out of it?

DoseOfAtmosphere

Earning My Ears
Hello all! :) I've just been introduced to the boards by the young daughter of a family friend who has an account here, and so, I decided, why not? Anyway, this is my first post! Ooh, exciting!

My daughter is 8 months old. We were recently invited on a trip to Disney World by my brother-in-law to accompany his family. My daughter will have just turned 13 months by the time that trip happens. I don't have issues taking her, however, I'm the kind of gal who doesn't do anything if I don't see a benefit. Could you help me understand the possible benefit of taking my young daughter to Disney at only 13 months?

Thank you very much!

The benefit is for YOU. Will YOU have fun?

Your daughter just wants to be with you right now. That's it. She'll see stuff and smile and toddle around at 13 months and all that, but the trip is not for her. It's for you, if you want to go. If you don't, honestly, don't bother. But if you do want to, go, and have fun with her. She'll have fun with you having fun.

A fun vacation. My dd first went at 16 months. She is almost four and loves looking at the pictures from that trip. She tells me how mickey mouse is her buddy and she hugged jesse.

Your daughter just wants to be with you right now. That's it. She'll see stuff and smile and toddle around at 13 months and all that, but the trip is not for her. It's for you, if you want to go. If you don't, honestly, don't bother. But if you do want to, go, and have fun with her. She'll have fun with you having fun.

Yep this answer! Who knows maybe you will love it! and maybe not.

For me, DH & I vacationed at disney 2 times before kids arrived on the scene, it's part of who we are & what we consider an enjoyable & worth while vacation. We love the customer service, the kitchsy disney magic feeling, the attractions & did i mention customer service.

(now I also don't like crowds, so we will only go during down periods here on out- that's part of the magic for me) if the vacation falls during a crowded time, will that bother you?

Really it is about you and do you want to vacation at Disney. Baby girl will simply be along for the ride. If you go into the trip expecting her to "get something" out of it. something tangible or measurable. you will set yourself up for disappointment.

Let us know what you decide!

ETA: i just saw in your signature you have been to WDW several times. i'm confused now, seems like you are already a fan of WDW. since you have been several times. I guess the question becomes: do you want to vacation right now at disney or wait until your child is older?

I always explain it this way - Do you bring your dd 8 mos anywhere for fun? The zoo? The park for a walk? Even though an 8 month old likely gets about the same 'benefit' from playing with a toy or having a bottle in her own living room than she does in the big world - it doesn't mean we stay cooped up with the babies, right? We make memories...Maybe not hers...but mom and dad will remember that loud laugh and smile as the baby swings on the playground...etc.

Honestly if you are only looking for a benefit for the baby...I'd say stay home. I doubt there is any significant difference to being at WDW vs. watching a Disney video at that age. But the fun and memories are for the family. Again though, if Mom and Dad have no interest in going to WDW...likely should pass.

I think there is definitely a benefit to going, for you and for her! I personally think babies take a lot in just looking around, the stimulation at WDW is great for them. You will make memories being there with her, my mom actually says she liked taking my brother at that age best :)

Yeah, I agree with this. It's not something I think I'd be happy with. I'd wait until the children were older, but that's because I think having a child that young around Disney World would not be fun for me.

Then again, I'm done with having kids, so, your mileage may vary. :)

DITTO DITTO DITTO!! SO well said!!

She will be introduced to lots of new things that will stimulate her brain, force her to process new information, and question new ideas. She will hear new music, and smell and taste new foods and see things full of colors and shapes and designs. Could she do all of this at your local mall for less money.....sure, but a lot less fun for everyone! She will get lots of family time....extra cuddles with dad in the morning, days at a time without having to be left at the sitters. Could you stay at home for a week and do the same thing....sure, but a lot less fun. She will spend enough time with extended family that she may learn to trust a new person....yep, that could be done somewhere else, and cheaper too but there are soooo many positive reasons to take your little one and enjoy the trip.

Agreed with what everyone says about it being for YOU!

We have taken our 2 year old twice so far and are going again in September. We have fun watching her take everything in. We like being there and we like that she enjoys it.

Having said that, she has just as much fun at our local playground, zoo and mall. :rotfl:

At that age the stimulation is very good for their developing brains. It exposes them to new sights and sounds and situations. Very important at that age.

I agree. We took DD at 9 months, 21 months, 28 months, and again at 34 months. She had fun on all the trips. This last trip was the only one where she really got what Disney was about and asked to do specific attractions. All the other trips were really for DH and me because we love Disney. Yes, she had fun, but she would have really had as much fun anywhere else just hanging out with us, such as our local amusement park, the zoo, or the park. If you want to go, go. If you are only going for the sake of your child, you might reconsider that trip at this point.

Yeah, I agree with this. It's not something I think I'd be happy with. I'd wait until the children were older, but that's because I think having a child that young around Disney World would not be fun for me.

Then again, I'm done with having kids, so, your mileage may vary. :)

:)

Whereas someone like me wanted to get out, go places, do things. Sitting at home was the pits, and since all my friends with kids had much older kids AND were at least an hour away (funny how when they had kids, I visited all the time, but each one visited me ONCE and that was it), that's what we did, sit at home. So going to Disneyland when DS was 17 months old was very fun. :) Well, it was a day-trip while on a longer trip to San Diego; I didn't even know I would become such a Disney fan! I had been a serious stick in the mud about Big Giant Corporations through my whole 20s, so I truly did not realize that I would have fun. Thought it was a one-time thing. :rotfl2: 17 months...a year later...a year after that...2 months after that...a just-me trip 1 month after that...and so on and so on and so forth...

I wanted to go, so we went. I still want to go, so we go. And for us there's no option for both of the grownups to go while leaving the kidlet at home. Some people have that opportunity but it's not an option at all for us. Kiddo better keep on liking Disney and Universal, that's all I gotta say! :):upsidedow

take lots of pics of her enjoying all of WDW. make a book for her to remember the trip by. "read" the book with her often and soon she will be able to tell you about the trip she does not remember. how do I know have a grandson now 8 years old that can tell you all about thee trip he was on at age 4 months. yes he has been back but even on the later trip he talked about what he had done on the earlier trip. she will have as much fun as you want her to have. if you expect a fun trip she will pick up on that.

Perfect answer! If you would enjoy it then go.

In your situation, I would have gone with my DS. He was an easy baby, could sleep anywhere, and would have been perfectly content to enjoy the sights from a stroller. On the other hand, I would have declined with DD at that age. She was a high maintenance baby. She needed her regular schedule and her own bed to sleep well. She was much happier close to home until about age 2.5 so that was where we stayed.

ITA with the other posters... go because you love Disney!

Even though intellectually you kind of know that she won't really remember much and that there are great things in Disney that she can't yet experience, there is something intangibly moving about taking your baby to Disney. YOU see things differently when you're there with your baby, even above and beyond seeing it through her eyes for the first time, your eyes suddenly see it differently for yourself. <3

And for us with DS1, who was 17mo when we took him the first time - and this is in NO WAY scientific - but noticeable to us without a doubt... his vocabulary exploded starting at the tail end of that trip and from then on. Coincidence? Maybe :) Again, no documented basis for this, but there could very well be something uniquely stimulating about Disney to their little brains that you just don't encounter anywhere else. ;)

And for us with DS1, who was 17mo when we took him the first time - and this is in NO WAY scientific - but noticeable to us without a doubt... his vocabulary exploded starting at the tail end of that trip and from then on. Coincidence? Maybe :) Again, no documented basis for this, but there could very well be something uniquely stimulating about Disney to their little brains that you just don't encounter anywhere else. ;)[/QUOTE]

This has just happened to us too. We came back from our trip almost two weeks ago. DS is 26 months now. He could say a lot of words before the trip and would string a couple together but since we have been back he has been talking in full coherent sentences. I am sure it is down to spending two weeks with his family and getting more attention than he may do at home without work, housework, school runs etc getting in the way.

Hello all! :) I've just been introduced to the boards by the young daughter of a family friend who has an account here, and so, I decided, why not? Anyway, this is my first post! Ooh, exciting!

My daughter is 8 months old. We were recently invited on a trip to Disney World by my brother-in-law to accompany his family. My daughter will have just turned 13 months by the time that trip happens. I don't have issues taking her, however, I'm the kind of gal who doesn't do anything if I don't see a benefit. Could you help me understand the possible benefit of taking my young daughter to Disney at only 13 months?

Thank you very much!

The benefit is for you and your Dh and the memories you will have of her first trip to Disney :)

Going with a baby is not my idea of fun. You're going to subject it to heat, crowds, noise, and germs. If you're a selfish person, drag it along. If not, find somewhere else less daunting for a 18 month old like Sesame Park.

Going with a baby is not my idea of fun. You're going to subject it to heat, crowds, noise, and germs. If you're a selfish person, drag it along. If not, find somewhere else less daunting for a 18 month old like Sesame Park.

Lol, déjà vu!

Op if you lived a life before jr. continue to live one with him! It never hurt any child to travel. You could be just as hot in pa as wdw and with twice the humidity some days. Although October In either is more than tolerable.

Lol, my 18 month olds were daunted by nothing... It is just some parents who find it daunting.

Go and have a ball!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter