What British Goodies would you send to an American?

Discussion in 'UK Community Board' started by T16GEM, May 14, 2009.

1. T16GEM

T16GEM <font color=blue>I must have a funnel cake when I'

Hi Everyone!

A friend of mine is sending me some of the lovely snacks that I like to buy when we are in the States and I wanted to return the favour, she has never visited the UK so doesn't really have anything specific that she likes. Although I know that she likes Curly Wurleys so I am going to pop some of those in the parcel.

What suggestions do you have? She doesn't have a preference between sweet or savoury so that is quite good. Please bear in mind that they have to travel all the way to Oregan on the West Coast! :scared1:

Gems

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Tillybud

Tillybud DIS Veteran

that sounds like my kind of friend :goodvibes I'm not sure what chocolate would travel like but I immediately thought of wispa bars. It's a tough one so I look forward to reading the suggestions although they'll probably make me feel hungry ;)

4. gemmybear83

gemmybear83 <font color=royalblue>I would blame it all on Bob<

Cadburys creme eggs! Actually an cadburys chocolate? Does she like marmite?

5. taylor3297

taylor3297 DIS Veteran

I don't live in the UK, but I do love the candy from the UK. Anytime I know someone who is going to visit the UK, I always request Polo mints. For some reason the Polo mints taste better than the US lifesavers. Also, I love the munchies chocolates with the mint in the middle ( I think these used to be called Mentolas) also Smarties (I call these the UK version of M&M's), smarties here are something totally different, also the cadbury flake bars. Maltesers, fruit pastiles, Hula Hoops (cheese and onion flavor), and Walker's Crisps Worcester sauce are all I can think of right now.

6. Mrs Doubtfire

Mrs Doubtfire DIS Veteran

My friend liked me to take Extra chewing gum as he thought it tasted better.

How about a Thorntons bar of chocolate or some of their toffee?

(Just back to my friend - his mum took brussell sprouts for the Christmas Dinner quite a few years ago as he couldn't get them!! Not sure how she got through customs - they also took a Christmas Cake.)

7. Beth__WDW23/6/02

Beth__WDW23/6/02 <font color=deeppink>you can never mock anything u

Cadburys chocolate,Also Chocolate fingers :lmao: (this was one of my cravings whilst over there),not quite sure what else.

Sounds like you have a great friend :goodvibes

8. anonymousegirl

anonymousegirl DIS Veteran

Hello, American here!

having lived in the UK with DH there are so many foods I miss, but you can't send them over (like decent beer, and most M&S yummies; I would do a lot for M&S's Lime and Corriander chicken right now)

But for stuff you can ship:
    Galaxy choc bars-- the best choc ever!
    Tunnocks --I'm drooling right now
    Cadbury's Milky buttons--unheard of here
    Gingernuts
    McVitties Choc digestives
    Heinz beans --our beans are nothing like these (man, I miss those jacket potatoes with beans and cheese)

If you could also send over some decent newspapers, and Midsomer Murder that would be much appreciated!

I was joking about Midsomer, but I always enjoy reading your papers more than ours, so pop a copy of the Mirror in there so he/she can see what's going on in the UK. On my first date with my DH he brought me the Manchester Guardian and some English money to show me since I had never been over to the UK.

9. mandymouse

mandymouse <font color=red>If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm

Definitely some Cadbury's chocolate, then perhaps some Scottish Shortbread, and a miniature Irish Whiskey, I can't think of anything from Wales - how about a leek ? :rotfl2:

10. PoppyAnna

PoppyAnna <font color=darkorchid>Despite the end of tWW I'm

Straight away I thought about Marmite too:confused3

Twiglets
    Mini cheddars
    Mint Aero
    Revels
    Coconut Ice:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
    Not a fan of Cadburys myself but it would be good to send some, or Galaxy:thumbsup2
    Terrys Chocolate Orange
    Crunchie bar

Good luck with your package, Gems. I'd struggle not to eat it all as I was packing it;)

11. Lizzybear

Lizzybear <font color=purple>You fool! You gave cheese to a

I've done quite a few 'candy swaps' and some things i've sent are: Thorntons chocolate, flake bars, milky way magic stars, chocolate hobnobs, aeros (especially the different flavours), galaxy, monster munch, giant buttons... :)

12. natalielongstaff

natalielongstaff <font color=deeppink>I need a cup of tea and a big

walkers crisps :thumbsup2

13. higgy66

higgy66 <font color=deeppink>I have to force myself to go

I'm originally from Pontefract - home of sweets!

I would have to include Pontefract cakes, Liquorice allsorts and Haribo!

14. Tillybud

Tillybud DIS Veteran

most of the supermarkets appear to have creme eggs half price at the minute, although I'm pleased to say I've resisted all temptation :goodvibes

how about some shortbread biscuits and some proper tea ?

I love smarties so I'm not sure if I could part with those, or what about kitkats ?

15. T16GEM

T16GEM <font color=blue>I must have a funnel cake when I'

Loving all your ideas, more please!!

16. torsie24

torsie24 Mummy to a perfect princess.

Where do I find these Candy swaps?!?!

I'd send flake, mint aero, maltesers, cadbury buttons, baked beans.......

When I was at Uni in the states I missed baked beans sooo much! Was my first meal when I got home!

17. Lizzybear

Lizzybear <font color=purple>You fool! You gave cheese to a

I'm a member what used to be a 'teen' buying/selling/trading/general chat forum since 2001 (most of us are in our 20s now, I sometimes wonder if we'll be posting about our grandkids in years to come! :laughing:) and I used to do swaps on there since most of the members are American, it gets a bit expensive though and since you can buy most US candy over here nowadays I don't tend to do it anymore except for a few people in the US whom I buy birthday and Christmas presents for :)

18. Claire L

Claire L <font color=blue>Enjoys a good broadway show<br><f

How about some shortbread?
    Claire ;)

19. BRobson

BRobson <font color=green>Beavers is a dangerous place to

What about a couple of our magazines ?

I am a magazine junkie and love buying all the US ones :thumbsup2

20. Pegasus928

Pegasus928 DIS Veteran

We have a shop local to us that sells retro sweets - all the favourites from our school days such as cola cubes, sherbert fountains, dib-dabs (though I am sure you can still get these).
    Not sure if I have seen things like midget gems, wine gums etc - so I would be tempted to stick a few 'quarters' of something in there.

21. mushumadness

mushumadness <font color=ff6633>Shopaholic<br><font color=cc339

I take a tin of cadburys roses every year for my american friend. she loves them lol