• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What brands are you loyal to and will you buy generic?

I'd just like to say that thanks to the recent discussion in this topic about the bad stuff in food, I now have a lovely ad at the bottom of the screen that has pictures of a lab rat with some particularly horrifying mutant growths all over its body. :( So thanks for that. :-/

I buy name brand toilet paper, garbage bags, and laundry detergent. I don't like to deal with the mess that comes from cheap garbage bags, and my skin problems require me to use a specific type of detergent. And as for toilet paper, I used to buy cheap TP but I found it was actually cheaper in the long run to buy the good stuff so I can use less. Food products, I don't really care, I'll buy store brands of cereal, ketchup, mayo, whatever. My roommate is picky about ketchup and soy sauce. Neither of us worry about MSG, HFCS, GMOs, etc. I try to limit the amount of processed stuff I buy just because I prefer food that looks like food, though.

AH-HAH!

OK, so I hear people saying all over this thread that they would never have any kind of mayo except Hellman's. And I am thinking what the heck is Hellman's and why is it the bloody gold standard of mayo?? I've never even seen Hellmans?

Until I open that link and realize that in my neck of the woods, Hellman's is Best Foods! Which yes, I almost always buy. But I won't throw out another brand.

Right now, I have Kraft mayo. I sent DD19 shopping after class one day and that's what she bought - must've been on sale. (As an aside it is amazing how much more frugal people of her age become when they are contributing to the upkeep of the household as young adults, and get sent shopping with their own money...)

Some die hard foodies have gone through the trouble of getting both brands together for photo ops.

Mayo-300x225.jpg

http://themacandcheesechronicles.com/2012/08/21/east-side-west-side/

Apparently there is a difference - perhaps not in the ingredient list or the nutritional information, but with slight differences in proportions of ingredients.

I always buy Kraft mayo so what do I know? I buy a tiny jar and it last us forever since we use it so rarely.

I am also loyal to Chobani, Twinings, ICE waters and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter olive oil brand. I also only buy branded soft drinks and certain detergents and paper good. Just my preferences.

Often McDonald's ketchup IS Heinz. (Though it says it on the packets if it is.)

Revisiting an old thread, but I have something to add.....

I've never seen a McD's ketchup packet that ever explicitly named the supplier. I have seen other Heinz ketchup packets that display the Heinz label on one side and the restaurant name on the other. McD's is basically the same red label on one side (been the same for over 30 years) and white on the other side. It's only had minor changes. I do remember seeing a pamplet once that listed all the various suppliers McDonald's had. They get supplied by large companies like Tyson.

However, McDonald's cut ties with Heinz recently. The reason was because their new CEO used to be in charge of Burger King. It wasn't that big a deal domestically since Heinz only supplied their locations around Pittsburgh and Minneapolis.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...heinz-ketchup-ties-40-years-article-1.1497368
http://www.post-gazette.com/busines...en-Arches-dropping-Heinz/stories/201310250056

Sort of generic, but we LOVE Costco brand baby wipes! Much better than any of the name brands :)

Name Brands:

Jif Peanut Butter
Hellman's Mayo
Heinz Ketchup
Pledge
Tide
Cottonelle
Listerine mouthwash

Will buy generic:
jelly
paper towels
mustard
salad dressing

Another thing to think about now with our food is where it is from. We have to look for food from USA! So much is from China, VietNam, Thailand - especially seafood! Processed in horrible conditions! Green Giant frozen vegetables are from China - BirdsEye from USA - we all need to read labels and buy American!!

Haribo gummy bears

For me it depends. Haribo has production facilities around the world. I remember they used to vary the origin of their standard gummy bears since I remember from the 80s. I think they used to manufacture in the US. Eventually what they sold in the US was from Hungary and pretty much now only from Turkey. Their various other items can be made anywhere from Spain to Hungary or even Germany.

I recently got some of their Christmas bears on clearance after Christmas. They're all red/green with a bear wearing a Santa cap. They were made in Germany. They're fine after being in your mouth for a while, but initially it's tough like chewing rubber. The occasional time I've found their standard gummy bears marked as made in Germany, they've been similarly tough.

Heinz ketchup
Miracle Whip
Marburger milk
Oreo and Chips Ahoy
Cheerios
Cottonelle toilet paper

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter