What Books Are You Bringing?

fredms

Love my nieces and nephews!
So my last cruise I read Nanny Diaries which was a perfect cruise book. The cruise before I read The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood - also great. Any recomendations on what you are bringing to read?

If I haven't gotten to them yet, a mystery by Lawrence Block, and Timothy Zahn's latest Star Wars book.

hopefully the new sherrilyn kenyon book, if we get an advance reading copy at work on time. It's supposed to come out the tuesday after I get back, but my fingers are crossed for an ARC.

Huge "Lost" fan here. I ordered a new book coming out called "Bad Twin" that is suppose to be the manuscript that Hurley was reading the beginning of March. The book is due out on 5/2 and we leave on 5/5.

Hoping I can keep myself from starting it before we leave. This is the only book I plan on taking.

Queen Bee Moms & Kingpin Dads - same auther who wrote Queen Bees and Wannabees. It's all about other parents and the dynamics of parents, coaches, school officials, etc. Ugh!

I have no idea what I am bringing to read. All I know is that it will not be about moss, genetics, or ecology. (I finish my first semester towards my graduate degree in Biology the week before my cruise.)

I do have some recommendations. If you liked the Nanny Diaries you will enjoy The Devil Wears Prada and Berdorf(sp?) Blondes. I also love Summer Sisters by Judy Blume.

...it was a perfect vacation book. I have since read the other two "Shopaholic" books and they are light, fluffy, and funny--devoid of any significant value but entertaining nonetheless! They are written by Sophie Kinsella.

Do you like historical fiction? Books about royalty? Posie Graeme-Evans has a trilogy about a girl with King Edward 4th- the 3rd isn't out yet, the first two are: The Innocent and The Exiled. Very good- along the lines of Philippa Gregory....

I'm on a Steve Berry kick at the moment. I do that, I get fixated on an author and read all of their books back to back.

I just finished The Amber Room, before that I really enjoyed The Templar Legacy, and I'll be bringing The Third Secret along with me.

(loved the Ya-Ya's!)

LisaSp said:
...it was a perfect vacation book. I have since read the other two "Shopaholic" books and they are light, fluffy, and funny--devoid of any significant value but entertaining nonetheless! They are written by Sophie Kinsella.
I love these books. Looks like you still have one to go Lisa - there's 4 all together :thumbsup2 . I think the last one was Shopaholic and Sister. I enjoyed this one, but not as much as the others.

Sherry

Just back from our cruise this past Sunday.

I loved the Nanny Diaries! Mr. and Mrs. X. With the spatula - poor Gopher. Hee. And Miss Chicago! And the teletubbies. I bought the book on tape too (because I get bored with kids and their ipods driving all over), Julia Roberts reads it. Not half as good as reading it on a Disney boat :thumbsup2

My smart DH read Emperor, Julius Caesar, The Gods of War by Conn Iggulden, loved it. Finished on the 3rd day, bought another book on board, Valley of the Bones, by Michael Gruber. Almost finished it at the airport ;)

I myself, got my Entertainment tonight fix by reading The Starter Wife. Funny! Gracie, who was married to an up and coming movie exec is the next Nanny! Loved it!

fredms said:
So my last cruise I read Nanny Diaries which was a perfect cruise book. The cruise before I read The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood - also great. Any recomendations on what you are bringing to read?

I already have my Jodi Picoult book ready for our cruise! I love all of her books and look forward to spending time on the verandah reading!
:thumbsup2

Mine.... Oh heck...I wrote it - I don't need to read it. :lmao:

Maybe NEXT cruise I'll have my paranormal thriller finished and ya all can take that!

Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot-her adult fiction is really fun, easy read! Very light and perfect for the cruise! Nanny Diaires may have to come with me though with the reviews I keep seeing! Ginny ;)

I read all of Stuart Woods & James Patterson, Since I am caught up with them I think I am going to bring a book or 2 from Tom Corcoran, I found his name and link from a Jimmy Buffet site, his books are supposed to have that Island mystery flare, seems appropriate.
Anyone read Tom Corcoran?

Stuart Woods has a new book out as of 4/11/06, Dark Harbor.
Patterson also has one coming out 5/1/06 Beach Road.

As far as time to read, I'm an early riser on vaca and enjoy sitting on the veranda or at the Cove Cafe and reading a chapter or 3 daily.

Check-out Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen. I'm not taking it because I've already read it, but it is perfect for the cruise. It is a fun, light read that begins on a cruise and then is set in South Florida. I found myself laughing out loud a lot.

OHJulie said:
Check-out Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen. I'm not taking it because I've already read it, but it is perfect for the cruise. It is a fun, light read that begins on a cruise and then is set in South Florida. I found myself laughing out loud a lot.
Thanks to the OP and OHJulie...after reading your post I went out on the web and read about "Skinny Dip" and found a used copy in very good condition for $1.99 so along with my Bible I'll be taking "Skinny Dip". (I'm not sure the 2 sound like they go together! :teeth: ) It sounded so funny. I hope I can keep from reading it before we cruise in June!

Thanks for all the recomendations. For anyone still looking for a book The Secert Life of Bees is really good as well.

Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter