What Beach to visit during DL trip

kc10family

DIS Veteran
We are adding an extra day to visit a beach on our trip... what is a good beach for families?
We are willing to drive an hour or so DOT, so we do not need to be right next to DL for the beach day.

It was recommended to me when I planned our last trip, and we loved it. There is a playground for the kids, tide pools, food within a 5 minute walk, and it was a very friendly crowd. The only downside is that it does get seaweed.

There's also a store right by the entrance to the main beach...or at least there was on our last trip...that rents beach equipment (everything from sand pails to boogie boards).

My FIL took us to Corona Del Mar. He loved it growing up and it did seem to be more family friendly than a couple others we visited. We also love Huntington but it's pretty busy

I was thinking Laguna when I go in June but I thought it might be too crowded...? Does it get really crowded? And which is the least crowded beach within an hour from DL? Anyone know? :confused3

We really like Huntington Beach! Go eat at Ruby's at the end of the pier!!! Great food and a great view!!

We went to newport one year and it was ok. We didn't hit balboa island or the main part of newport I guess we were just a tad north of it. This year we are going to try Corona del Mar. I've heard good things.

I shall pass this info on to DH (he is deployed) so he can take a look and decide.

Thank you all so much:goodvibes

We also do Huntington beach and eat at Ruby's. Go to Santa Monica or Venice if you like to watch people.

Jack

What beach is the easiest to get to from DL using public transportation, cab or shuttle? We aren't renting a car, but I would love to go to a beach in September for a half day while there for the 1/2 marathon. I had heard of the breakfast place in Laguna (Las Brisas, sp?) on the podcast that sounded good. There was also the Rockin Baja mentioned for dinner at HUntington Beach?? I would like to hit a beach that is easy to get to and has a good dining destination.
Any thoughts?

What beach is the easiest to get to from DL using public transportation, cab or shuttle? We aren't renting a car, but I would love to go to a beach in September for a half day while there for the 1/2 marathon. I had heard of the breakfast place in Laguna (Las Brisas, sp?) on the podcast that sounded good. There was also the Rockin Baja mentioned for dinner at HUntington Beach?? I would like to hit a beach that is easy to get to and has a good dining destination.
Any thoughts?

Last time me and DF were at DL last June we took the city bus (Orange County Transportation I believe) to Huntingtion Beach. It was a little less than an hour and we only had to switch buses once. The buses were pretty clean too. We then ate at Rubys on the pier and took the bus back to our hotel on Harbor. It was cheap and easy. All you have to do is call the OCT people and ask which routes can take you from your hotel cross streets to Huntington!

Thanks Kelly!!! That sounds like a good option.
Laguna sounds really awesome too. I wonder if that bus line goes there as well.

We just got back from DL yesterday and spent two days at the beach. We planned to go to Laguna Main Beach but it is under construction right now and there was no parking except street parking (which there was none). We instead opted for a beach in South Laguna called Aliso Beach and loved it there. Great parking and facilities and also a child's play area. There were also tide pools you could walk up the beach too. The following day we went down to San Clemente and went to the San Clemente Pier beach. Another great beach with swings for the kids and a view of the trains that comes past. We can't wait to visit these beaches again. We also went out on a boat in Dana Point and saw a pod of about 3,000 dolphins. It was amazing and the kids can't stop talking about all the dolphins that were jumping around us in the boat. That was called Captain Dave's Dolphin Safari. It is pricey but we thought well worth the price.

Thanks Kelly!!! That sounds like a good option.
Laguna sounds really awesome too. I wonder if that bus line goes there as well.

There's no public transportation to Laguna. Or, if there is, it is well hidden. I checked city busses, charter bus lines, and Amtrak...no luck.

You might check with the city of Laguna, as I think there is some local transportation available later in the summer, but I'm not sure that it connects with any other transportation sources.

I have a feeling that, due to the ambiance at Laguna, it may be a choice they've made in order to make their city more of a destination and less of a tourist stop.

The OC tourist bureau can give you names of limo services. Or, there are rental cars.

The OCTA 83 will take you south to the general area of Laguna Hills then from there you can transfer.
http://www.octa.net/trip_planner.aspx
There might be an easier way but that is OCTA.
Walk to HARBOR-EAST SHUTTLE AREA in ANAHEIM, stop #0247

Take HARBOR BLVD and walk to HARBOR-EAST SHUTTLE AREA in ANAHEIM, stop #0247, it is on the right (+/- 1 min.).

At 2:54 PM, take Route 083 South. Exit bus at CALLE DE LA LOUISA-HEALTH CENTER in LAGUNA HILLS, stop #3976 at 3:53 PM.

At 2:54 PM, take Route 083 South and get off at stop #3976, CALLE DE LA LOUISA-HEALTH CENTER, street CALLE DE LA LOUISA (LAGUNA HILLS) following street HEALTH CENTER. Last intersections: RONDA DEL ROSSMOOR, CALLE DE LA LOUISA, HEALTH CENTER DR.

View stop timetable for HARBOR-EAST SHUTTLE AREA View stop timetable for CALLE DE LA LOUISA-HEALTH CENTER View timetable for route 083 - Anaheim - Laguna Hills (South)

Wait 27 minute(s).

Transfer at CALLE DE LA LOUISA-HEALTH CENTER in LAGUNA HILLS, stop #3976. At 4:20 PM, take Route 089 South. Exit bus at LAGUNA CANYON-FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS in LAGUNA BEACH, stop #3878 at 4:49 PM.

At 4:20 PM, take Route 089 South and get off at stop #3878, LAGUNA CANYON-FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS, street LAGUNA CANYON (LAGUNA BEACH) following street LAGUNA BOWL. Last intersections: WOODLAND DR, FRONTAGE RD, LAGUNA BOWL RD.

View stop timetable for CALLE DE LA LOUISA-HEALTH CENTER View stop timetable for LAGUNA CANYON-FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS View timetable for route 089 - Laguna Beach - Mission Viejo (South)

Walk to LAGUNA BEACH CITY HALL.

Take LAGUNA CANYON RD and walk to FOREST AV, it is the next street. Take FOREST AV and walk to LAGUNA BEACH CITY HALL, it is on the left (+/- 4 min.).

Thank you guys for all the bus info. I am really torn between Laguna and Huntington.
And to confuse me even more, a friend from CA has recommended San Juan Capastrano as a good beachy trip from Anaheim. And apparently you can take the Amtrak down there. Anyone have any opinions on that town? Does it have a beach?

I'm partial to Huntington Beach because that's where I went as a kid and into my adult years, until I moved to Florida in 1999...The AmTrack to San Juan Capistrano is a fun trip too though

When I visited Cali for my first time, we did DL and then we went to Newport Beach, Manhattan Beach and Santa Monica Pier. Loved all. Newport we did a tour on a boat and saw all these beautiful homes of "rich and famous" also saw some celebrities boats. It was really neat. I loved going to Santa Monica for the experience. Just thought it is such an icon that I should see it. No regrets.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter