What bag to use around the parks

Fiona35

DIS Veteran
I'm after some suggestions for what people use around the parks that could carry the following items - rain Mac, camera, purse, phone, water bottle & a few medicines.
I had thought of a piazza day bag but wondered if it would be big enough.
I am not so keen on a back pack as I don't want to sweat down my back & thought a cross over bag might be better in the heat.
Thanks

I use a lesportsac small Cleo bag. It holds quite a bit, holds up well in the rain and is machine washable. It's a crossbody

I take a vera Bradley small backpack. It's light and small and I don't have to use my hands to carry it. It's great. I love it as my park bag.

I have a piazza day bag and I don't find it to be comfortable to wear for long. My go to bag is a bagallini messenger bag. It is roomy enough for me to carry all of my stuff with me, and yet comfy enough that it doesn't feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders.

I love a sling pack with a strap that can change sides. Mine is an Eddie Bauer and has a buckle on each corner at the bottom that the strap can clip to to switch sides. The back panel that touches the body is a mesh padding that reduces sweating.

I have a cross body purse that I got maybe 4 years ago from REI. It has 2 bottle holders on either side, a phone pouch on the outside and zippers to close the bag. I can fit my water bottle in one side and the handle-less refillable mug in the other without any trouble.

I'd been wearing a random crossbody purse I bought at American Eagle but my last trip I used a Harvey's bucket bag for a good portion of the trip and really liked that too. The great thing about Harvey's is that most of them are machine washable. They also have bunch of Disney patterns that are super cute and some truly gorgeous colours!

I've used both a cross body bag i purchased at TJ Maxx for two trips and a packable backpack on my last trip. I actually found the backpack better for when I was traveling solo/needed to carry most things for the parks. it carried my water bottle, fleece jacket, battery backup for my phone, a book, my wallet, and a small first aid pack (band aids, advil, hand sanitizer, kleenex). There was plenty of room for more. The most important thing, however, that I would suggest is that you would bring a large ziplock plastic bag that can fit all the items that SHOULD NOT get wet in case of storms/water rides if your bag is not water proof.

I use an Overland Equipment Donner crossbody bag when I need to carry those types of items. It has two water bottle compartments, one at each end. I put water in one and a compact umbrella in the other. I have a nylon rain poncho which isn't very compact when folded, and it fits well in the main compartment, with room to spare for the camera. One side has sections for a phone, a zipper compartment for cash and other pockets for smaller items. I usually only carry this bag when I think the weather will be rainy. Otherwise, I carry my Dooney HM pouchette bag, as it's much smaller and lighter. But it will only hold a phone, wallet and a few hand wipes.

We use a one-shoulder backpack from LL Bean, that DH carries during park time. It is small and comfortable, but roomy enough to carry lots of stuff. I bought it about 17 years ago and it still looks brand-new. Gotta love LL Bean!

Vera Bradley backpack (the "school" size, not the "purse-size").
Padded, wider straps distribute weight, external pockets (some models have zipper or velcro pockets) that a travel companion can open without you taking it off. Best is that it is machine wash and dry. I also like that it is much deeper than a purse, so when you are balancing it to try to take items out, there is less risk of spilling the contents. Any flip top open is also better than a traditional backpack with the zippers that wrap around for keeping items put when it is open.

I have a small midnight Mickey Vera Bradley backpack that I use but I feel like they don't carry that anymore at the stores. It's just the right size to carry all the necessities.

I carry a small Vera Bradley backpack, not the school sized. Or, I carry a Vera Bradley hipster. I find they both have enough room for everything I need, but aren't big enough for me to pile full of junk...like I tend to do :)

I have a Lugg crossbody (mini flutter) for stuff I want to keep on me at all times. I'll take a backpack for diapers, etc to leave with the stroller.

Regular backpack. We just switched from an Eddie Bauer backpack diaper bag to the black and white Mickey backpack they are selling in parks right now.

I second the Eddie Bauer sling. It has a handy front pocket for you phone too. It has enough room for some snacks plus a water bottle holder. I don't really notice it is there either because it is nicely balanced on your back.

We bring the smallest size camelback. We are park opening to park closing type of people so we do a ton of walking and are always thirsty. Having a backpack with the water system in it is a life saver for us! We bring a few gallons with us on our trip and fill it each morning with ice and water. Good to go!! We also have a mouthpiece cover so it isn't open to germs all the time- it's just my husband and I so we aren't too concerned. Might not work for a family though. We still have plenty of room in the actual backpack for whatever we may need to bring that day!

I used a Vera Bradley cross body and loved it. I could easily fit what we needed (with a 7 and 4 year old) without it being too heavy. That said, we had a stroller for our 4 year old, so we put our ponchos in a shopping bag on the handle. Next trip we will not have a stroller, so DH is planning on wearing a cinch backpack for our ponchos while I carry the same stuff in my bag.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter