What attractions might be of special interest to Christians?

ajcolorado

<font color=deeppink>lots of pokey crumbs in my cl
First of all, thank you to everyone who helped with the best educational attractions. The homeschoolers in our group will really appreciate your suggestions.

Now, can you suggest any attractions that might be of special interest to Christians? I've thought of the Stave Church and the Gutenberg printing press portion of Spaceship Earth in Epcot. Oh! And the statue of St. George and the Dragon is fun. Any additional suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Hey

We are homeschoolers and Christians. And we love trips to WDW. I dont neccessarily have suggestions for things that are geared towards Christians or anyone else for that matter. WDW doesnt have attractions that will "ruffle" anyones feathers.

I will say this, Ellens Energy Adventure in Epcot is a good ride but when we ride it I make a point to our kids that the Big Bang Theory is just that, a theory. I remind them that God created the world, not some explosion. Bear in mind that it is a good ride and worth seeing if you can get past "the theory" part.

Also, Dinosaur in AK is another ride which lightly explores Dinosaurs roaming the earth millions of years ago. Most Christian scientists say that God created the world around 6,000 yrs ago. Again, this ride is good and worth doing, it is intense for young ones though.

I am glad that WDW does the Candlelight Processional still at Christmas. It is a good show with lots of scripture intertwined with the music.

American Adventure at Epcot is good, Hall of Presidents at MK.

I think as a Christian, we go to WDW to escape the world around us. It is a fantasy world. That is part of the appeal for us. We are still Christians there as we are at home. Christians can enjoy all things in life that God has provided for us, including WDW. Bottom line is, there is lots to see and do for all people, dont hesitate to try all thats available there.

And most of all, Have Fun and Enjoy!!

I thnk Disney goes out of its way to be PC and avoid any faith. However, the candlelight procession, as has been mentioned, as well as Night of Joy would be the only things that come to mind.

Hi!

Personally, I feel like one of the great things about Disney is the fact that it steers clear of religious issues and provides a place where everyone can celebrate regardless of background (religious, ethnic, racial, or otherwise). It's a Small World is probably the best example of that! :goodvibes :

It is not so easy to find religious stuff at Disney, but that gives you a great opportunity to help with universal life lessons! The rides have tons of opportunities to learn important global lessons...Animal Kingdom is a GREAT place for environmental conservation (especially the Safari and the Conservation Station!), Spaceship Earth and Carousel of Progress has interesting lessons about the rise of modernization and concepts that change history, and the Worlds at Epcot help teach tolerance of diverse cultures. :)

Disney is chock full of great lessons to teach youngsters, but you may want to focus on the more universal lessons rather than "read into" rides to find religious aspects. I'd just be worried that kids might miss out on the really important themes of Disney if religion was the only focus for the trip.

--Babka Gal

PS: If you really do want to focus on religion for at least part of the trip, it is interesting to read The Swiss Family Robinson and then go the treehouse. I know the full version of the book has interesting passages about how the family's religious beliefs helped them through their struggles on the island. You won't find any religious aspects of it at the Disney attraction, but it gives interesting background to the attraction. And it is fun to play in the treehouse!

BabkaGal said:
Hi!

Personally, I feel like one of the great things about Disney is the fact that it steers clear of religious issues and provides a place where everyone can celebrate regardless of background (religious, ethnic, racial, or otherwise). It's a Small World is probably the best example of that! :goodvibes :

It is not so easy to find religious stuff at Disney, but that gives you a great opportunity to help with universal life lessons! The rides have tons of opportunities to learn important global lessons...Animal Kingdom is a GREAT place for environmental conservation (especially the Safari and the Conservation Station!), Spaceship Earth and Carousel of Progress has interesting lessons about the rise of modernization and concepts that change history, and the Worlds at Epcot help teach tolerance of diverse cultures. :)

Disney is chock full of great lessons to teach youngsters, but you may want to focus on the more universal lessons rather than "read into" rides to find religious aspects. I'd just be worried that kids might miss out on the really important themes of Disney if religion was the only focus for the trip.

--Babka Gal

PS: If you really do want to focus on religion for at least part of the trip, it is interesting to read The Swiss Family Robinson and then go the treehouse. I know the full version of the book has interesting passages about how the family's religious beliefs helped them through their struggles on the island. You won't find any religious aspects of it at the Disney attraction, but it gives interesting background to the attraction. And it is fun to play in the treehouse!

I agree that in Disney's own interest, they should stay away from religion, however, I think some lose all aspect of Disney's values. Just because someone is not Christian or not "religious" of any religion, doesn't mean that values can then be overlooked. Values are part of life. I doubt WAlt was a Christian, but the man had values and built the company around those values.

The things that Disney is tagged along with, due to Eisner's connection with ABC, is NOTHING what Walt would have associated himself with. You may love the Desperate Housewives program, just as I love many things as an adult. HOwever, that does not mean that it's right for kids. Disney has lost ALL of it's Values since Eisner has run the show and lost ALL touch with Walt Disney the man and his vision and values.

Personally I think the best way for Disney to be run is "independently". You may say "well without ABC and those other entities, Disney wouldnt have so much money" WRONG! In fact most of those entities are given money FROM Disney because of Eisner. I think Disney stock would be stronger than ever and the company would be more tightly run if it were owned by a sole CEO with a board of directors and not be affiliated with multiple other companies.

jimmytammy said:
Most Christian scientists say that God created the world around 6,000 yrs ago.

Darn! Now what the heck do I do with the carbon dated fossil that indicates it is a couple million years old??? That God guy sure likes to play tricks! :rotfl2:

As opposed to the Heathen rides. ;) :laughing:

Sorry. Couldn't help it.

Not Disney, but there is a religious theme park :confused3 near Millenia Mall. DH says it is named Holy Land. You might want to check it out.

Also next to the Premier Outlets is a church with a museum. It seems very busy. But sorry I don't know much more about it.

I don't want this thread to become a debate or into personal attacks on each other.If it does it will quickly be closed or deleted.Thank You All Danny :goodvibes :earsboy: :)

Haunted Mansion suggests the possibility of resurection. That should be good.

Bill From PA

jimmytammy said:
Hey
I will say this, Ellens Energy Adventure in Epcot is a good ride but when we ride it I make a point to our kids that the Big Bang Theory is just that, a theory. I remind them that God created the world, not some explosion. Bear in mind that it is a good ride and worth seeing if you can get past "the theory" part.

It should be noted that not all Christians have problems reconciling faith with science. Many of us accept the theories of evolution and scientific creation as explanations of ways in which God may have accomplished the wonders of this world and understand the mythologies of Creation as the oral tradition passed down through the ages and finally codified around 1200 B.C., long after Father Abraham departed Ur and set into motion the Judeo-Christian story of salvation through a God who loves us.

To dismiss the positions of science as "just that, a theory" with the suggestion that the libraries, museums and laboratories filled with the evidence in support of that theory can be dismissed out of hand gets somewhat problematic when confronted with the facts of electricity (also just a theory), nuclear energy (just a theory, once again), relativity (theory) and gravity (purely theoretical.)

That there are many Christian scientists (as opposed to Christian Scientists -- who are really neither) who are willing to risk their academic credentials with the suggestion that the earth is 6000 years old is doubtful. This "theory" was put forward by an English bishop in the late 19th century, suggesting the date for Creation as about October 25, 4004 B.C. Kind of makes the evidence for the 8000 year old village in Jericho problematic, doesn't it?

EDIT:Bishop James Ussher, a 17th century archbishop from Armagh, Ireland, was able to use the ages of famous pre-flood personages in the Bible to estimate the number of years between creation and the flood. In 1650 CE, he published his book "Annales veteris testamenti, a prima mundi origine deducti" ("Annals of the Old Testament, deduced from the first origins of the world.") He calculated that God had created the Earth in 4004 BCE. A decade earlier, Dr. John Lightfoot, (1602 - 1675), an Anglican clergyman, rabbinical scholar, and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Cambridge had already arrived at an estimate of 4004-OCT-23 BCE, at 9 AM. (We assume that this was either Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) or Jerusalem time). Unfortunately, Ussher gets most of the credit; Lightfoot's contribution is rarely cited.

RoyalCanadian,

How I wish there were more people like you in my country.

Bill From PA

As a Christian (with no problem with the big bang theory, btw..) I would recommend taking your group to the Affection Section area of the Animal Kingdom, where kids can feed, brush, and spend time with animals. My kids all love it! (sorta like a petting zoo, but very popular with little ones)

Also, so much of Epcot would be interesting, Journey into the Imagination is great lessons on being creative for kids, and of course all the countries in Epcot have the kidcot fun stops where kids can make masks and take part in this activity in each country, or have them get the passport stamps.

I am sure the kids will all love this trip, there is so much to explore and take in. Enjoy! :wave2:

Actually, Quite a few scientists are young earth belivers. I have a book by fifty of them not otherwise associated with Christian organization called "In Six Days" which is a very persuasive work, and began to make me think about this issue.

I am a trained meteorologist (although I'm not forecasting weather professionally right now), and nothing I know as a scientist dissuades me from a corresponding belief in God. If anything, the intricate organizations of life's systems down to the tiniest molecular and sub-molecular level persuade me IN the existence of God. Many professors believe in a creator, even if they are not Christians. The Second Law of Thermodynamics, that organization decreases with time (very loosely put) has to be overridden somehow, and every explanation outside of a creator, so far anyway, is less than convincing. The've even talked about "Creative mass" to try to explain the phenomena, without saying the G-word (God).

And as far as fossils go, by and large they are dated by the layer of soil in which they are found...not generally by carbon dating.

We've been to NOJ (and loved it) and are going to the candlelight processional this year and can't wait. We've also been to the Holy Land Experience and highly recommend it for a young Christian homeschooling group. They have and amazing collection of early Bibles there, and a 1/7 scale mock-up of Jerusalem in 70AD. The "scriptorium" as the attraction housing the biblically related scripts is called is excellent. They have a martyr's manuscript there (the transcriber was killed for attempting the translation). It is amazingly impacting. If you go, budget about 3/4 day, and go early so you don't miss anything.

As far as the parks go, I'm with the poster who said American Experience and Hall of Presidents. Both are great. But there are good moral lessons throughout the park. With a little homework by you, the whole experience could be really amazing, and fun, too! :flower:

jimmytammy said:
I think as a Christian, we go to WDW to escape the world around us. It is a fantasy world. That is part of the appeal for us. We are still Christians there as we are at home. Christians can enjoy all things in life that God has provided for us, including WDW. Bottom line is, there is lots to see and do for all people, dont hesitate to try all thats available there.

And most of all, Have Fun and Enjoy!!

Very Very well said jimmytammy. As a pastor, I very much look forward to my trips to WDW with my family. It is a wonderful place to go.

RoyalCanadian said:
It should be noted that not all Christians have problems reconciling faith with science. Many of us accept the theories of evolution and scientific creation as explanations of ways in which God may have accomplished the wonders of this world and understand the mythologies of Creation as the oral tradition passed down through the ages and finally codified around 1200 B.C., long after Father Abraham departed Ur and set into motion the Judeo-Christian story of salvation through a God who loves us.

:cheer2: What he said! :cheer2:

I don't know why you need to pick out the things in WDW that are of interest to Christians. I'm a Christian and I like all the things that everyone else does.

Ali

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter