What are your thoughts on a reclining sofa and loveseat?

Shelly888

DIS Veteran
We are in need of new living room furniture. I went browsing yesterday, and told the sales woman I was looking for comfort and casual and she showed me a reclining sofa and love seat, in a new fabric called champion which she said is the new microfiber but it more durable and textured.

I fell in love with this sofa...it is extremely comfortable and a good price point. But, I am not thrilled with the style completely. It seems most of the recliners have the same puffy/poofy cushions(which I guess is why it was incredibly comfy).

I sat on many sofas and came back to the first one. I'm hesitant though, maybe I should keep looking but I think I might be sold on a reclining set.

Thoughts?

I ordered a new reclining sofa but instead of the love seat, I purchased 2 reclinders. They have not come in yet but in shopping for them, I fell in love with the reclining sofa. The one I purchased was not overly stuffed and I wanted one that I could sleep on if possible. Good luck since purchasing furniture is worse than purchasing a new car!:headache:

I got a couch from Broyhill that is so comfy - a definite napping couch - that is also stylish and there are no recliners. I only wish I got two couches instead of the traditional one couch/two seats. When the napping couch is in use by someone else, I always wish I had a second so I could nap too! ;)

We have four chairs and one couch in our family room and 3 of the four chairs recline and two of the spaces on the couch recline. Only one chair actually looks like a recliner. Sadly, the couch certainly does. They are comfy and I am a person who needs to put their feet up at the end of the day. It also has proved to be good for my parents when they come over. Sometimes you have to choose comfort over looks, which is what DH and I did when we bought these. The ones you're thinking about sound lots better looking than our do, though, so I would go for it.

I was couch shopping last year and it seems the reclining sofas are really in style right now. I'm never in style when it comes to furniture and still not.

We like to lay down on our sofa to watch tv and my husband is a tall guy who needs his leg room. I also entertain alot and sometimes have to "squish" on the couch, think 4 people, and hard to squish on a reclining sofa.
I also didn't like that they didnt' come with zippers in case I needed to restuff in a few years.

A good friend has a set though and hers are really comfy and I would love just a loveseat that reclines.

Our coach has recliners on both ends and both sides of our loveseat recline (and rock). We bought them 11 years ago when we moved in to this house and they still look great.

We love them. We love to nap on the couch (the long way ;)) and love to put our feet up anytime we sit down. :)

We just bought new living room furniture - and got two love seat recliners and a chair that reclines. They can be restuffed - there are zippers on our for the arms and the company can come out and do the back cushion. We ended up getting electric recliners - my husband needs both knees replaced and doesn't have the strength to push the foot down when it's reclined - so now he just has to push a button on the side - and you have tons of "stops" to position the recline - not just the normal up or down.

We have a leather sofa where the two ends recline. They're very comfortable, but looking kinda worn (8-10 years old). The center section of the sofa doesn't recline and looks terrific (since it doesn't get sat on as much.)

In the house we live in now, the sofa back is not against a wall, so the unevenness of the 3 sections of the sofa look very odd. When the sofa backed up against a wall, you couldn't see that.

I'd buy this type again, since the recliners are so comfortable.

We have both a living room and a family room - out here in suburbia, that's the norm. We have a small living room, so we'll be swapping out our couch for a loveseat when we replace it. No recliners in there - no TV either. It's basically a "sitting room".

I couldn't do the reclining look. So we do not have a reclining sofa. I do, however, have 2 reclining chairs that I researched like crazy because I couldn't have anything that looked like a recliner. I found a nice chair at Thomasville that does not look like a recliner. They were pricey; we got them in leather. They still look new after 12 years and my husband and I use them daily.

Finally this weekend my husband got rid of the recliner he purchased when he graduated from college. There will never be another one in my house.

We are in need of new living room furniture. I went browsing yesterday, and told the sales woman I was looking for comfort and casual and she showed me a reclining sofa and love seat, in a new fabric called champion which she said is the new microfiber but it more durable and textured.

I fell in love with this sofa...it is extremely comfortable and a good price point. But, I am not thrilled with the style completely. It seems most of the recliners have the same puffy/poofy cushions(which I guess is why it was incredibly comfy).

I sat on many sofas and came back to the first one. I'm hesitant though, maybe I should keep looking but I think I might be sold on a reclining set.

Thoughts?

Definately lay on it first. My MIL has a reclining sofa.

The middle doesn't recline and isn't as soft at the reclining end spots.

It's next to impossible to lay down on because the middle spot is higher and harder than the end spots.

It's got a hump! You can't see it, but it's just not comfy in the middle. She'd have been better off getting 2 love seats instead of 2 sofas. Because of the hump issue nobody will sit in the middle so her sofas only seat 2 people each!

It's next to impossible to lay down on because the middle spot is higher and harder than the end spots.

It's got a hump! You can't see it, but it's just not comfy in the middle. She'd have been better off getting 2 love seats instead of 2 sofas. Because of the hump issue nobody will sit in the middle so her sofas only seat 2 people each!

Agree with kangareaux - definitely lie down on it first if you want to use it as a "nap" sofa.

We bought a Laz-e-boy reclining sofa that was not the usual "poofy" kind (they no longer offer it or I'd post a picture) and while comfortable to sit on, it's definitely not for napping.

Oh, and it's in our great room - not many formal living rooms in FL and NO basements. And I like it that way. ;)

Mine is reclincers on both ends, non reclining in the middle but it doesn't have the hump you mention. I second laying on it.

I will say that I have 2 reclining sofas..not because I have a huge fondness for them or anything..one I "inherited" from Grandma..good piece of furniture but she upgraded and I took it. They are not overly comfortable and are solid all the way across.

My other sofa has recliners on both ends as well but it is overall must cushy and soft. You can lay across it easily without the difference being too obvious.

That said I almost never use the reclining part on either sofa..I can probably count on one hand the number of times in the several years I have owned them.

Agree with kangareaux - definitely lie down on it first if you want to use it as a "nap" sofa.

We bought a Laz-e-boy reclining sofa that was not the usual "poofy" kind (they no longer offer it or I'd post a picture) and while comfortable to sit on, it's definitely not for napping.

Oh, and it's in our great room - not many formal living rooms in FL and NO basements. And I like it that way. ;)

Yeah, that whole basement thing in FLorida just doesn't work, does it? :)

Yeah, that whole basement thing in FLorida just doesn't work, does it? :)

South Louisiana here... Basement? What's a basement? LOL!

(You also don't see a lot of attics converted into living space. Just too darned hot up there!!!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter