What are your money saving tips?

TheConsciousness

Coaster Skeptic
There have been a few posts that I've been amazed by, but now that I'm planning another trip, I can't remember if I'm forgetting any good tips for money saving. :upsidedow

Does anyone have any tips for saving money during your trip, whether it be during the planning phase or while in the parks?

Some things I've found:
  1. UndercoverTourist can sometimes beat US prices
  2. Freestyle cups can be reactivated for a discount (at least I have 3 now)
  3. Google Flights can help you find cheapest flights if you're dates are fluid

I always calculate the cost of food several different ways.

We saved one year by staying club level and not having to feed the teens three whole squares per day.

We saved this year by doing the CBBR suite that has mini-kitchenette. Two meals per day were made in room from a single supermarket visit.

A budgetary note to only eat one (or less) table service meal per day. The rest is counter service or snack.

CityWalk has a meal and mini-golf package deal that saves money.

So far I have saved money by:
Getting an annual pass for hotel discount
Watch hotel rates mine dropped $30 a night
Plan to share meals as portions tend to be large
Breakfast in the room or on the way to the park ( granola bars, breakfast sandwhiches)

So far I have saved money by:
Getting an annual pass for hotel discount
Watch hotel rates mine dropped $30 a night

Good thinking!
As we were planning on getting APs this year, could we get the discount on the hotels without yet picking up the passes?
Would they be tied to an online account that we could reference when booking?

Good thinking!
As we were planning on getting APs this year, could we get the discount on the hotels without yet picking up the passes?
Would they be tied to an online account that we could reference when booking?
You can get the rate, if available, without a AP in hand. You will have to show it a some point during your stay.

Use multiple ways to search for the best hotel rate. I've had the best rate by a PIN code - so get on mailing lists. I've had the best rate using SMSM rate. I've had the best rate by booking through Orbitz. I've had the best rate through Universal but then they had a better one so I called them and they changed it. Strangely, I've never had the best rate by using my annual pass discount - though some find it that way. If you do book not through Universal, don't put the kids under 18 on the reservation since some of those sites charge more - though Universal doesn't. As long as they are under 18 and don't make you go over max capacity, then they can be added when you check in.

We eat breakfast in our room with food from the grocery store. It saves both money and time. Share meals when possible. We eat off-site sometimes too, which is a great option if you have a car. Boston Market is really cheap and good for families.

You can get the rate, if available, without a AP in hand. You will have to show it a some point during your stay.

If I make the cheapest reservation I can through, say Expedia, can I show them the AP at some point during the stay to have the price reduced...or would I need to use a different way of booking? Is the AP discount ever more expensive than discounts offered by travel booking sites?

If I make the cheapest reservation I can through, say Expedia, can I show them the AP at some point during the stay to have the price reduced...or would I need to use a different way of booking? Is the AP discount ever more expensive than discounts offered by travel booking sites?
You can only use the AP for a discount if that is the code you originally booked with

There is a limit of the number of rooms and room types that can be booked with the AP

You can only use the AP for a discount if that is the code you originally booked with

There is a limit of the number of rooms and room types that can be booked with the AP

Does this mean I'm not going to be able to book a room with the AP discount if I am planning on picking up the AP during this stay?

No what I said is you can not use the AP voucher for discounts on food and merch
Has to be an activated AP

And if you book with the Aph rate you are fine with getting the room without having the AP bought yet

You will need to show the AP sometime during your stay

If all you have is the voucher when you check in, that is not an issue
Once you get the actual AP, show it at the front desk and your rate will reflect the AP booking rate

My original reference was to your question

If you book with Expedia and want to switch to the AP rate, you can't just show them the AP and have your rate changed

You would need to book the AP rate from the start

If the AP rate would drop after you book it, you should call and modify the rate to the lower advertised AP rate

I also do Groupon searches for Orlando to see if there are any deals on restaurants or other stuff in the area.

Got a good one for the Mandara Spa at Portofino this way (saved ~40%)

I also do Groupon searches for Orlando to see if there are any deals on restaurants or other stuff in the area.

Got a good one for the Mandara Spa at Portofino this way (saved ~40%)

Wow that's a great idea. I always want to start using Groupon, but never remember to jump on to see what's available.
Did you happen to see many deals for Citywalk?

Last edited:
More important than anything is the time of year you travel. That affects hotel rates and flights the most. So if you're flexible, travel when no one else is, and it'll always be cheaper than holiday weeks, springs break and summer no matter what someone does to save money then.

QS dining plan can sometimes be worth it. We'd buy 2 dining plans and get 2 rib platters at Three Broomsticks for all 4 of us to share. This comes with 2 drinks and we'd get pumpkin fizz/cider/lemonade to share. Then we still have 2 more drink credits to use elsewhere (fresh squeezed lemonade or more pumpkin fizz!) plus two snack credits (frozen butterbeer or the gigantic cheesecakes at the Boulangerie)

You would need to book the AP rate from the start

Gotcha. When I go online and try to use the online booking from the USO site using 'APH' promo code, I get the message "Sorry, we do not have any room available with this promotion for some or all the days you have specified. Please try alternative dates or select one of our regular rooms listed below."

When I Google this message, someone says that the rooms haven't been 'set up' that far in advance (as I'm looking in Feb). I've also seen your post saying that the rooms were not available consecutively. Any hints?

Don't the different levels of AP offer different percent discounts on hotels? How does the booking system know which discount to offer?

If the AP rates have been released for your time period then what you are facing is some of the dates you list already are filled

Call and ask a supervisor of dates the AP has rooms avaiable for your time period
It could be the first or last date you list is full for the number you want

When that happens I use the public code of smsm instead of the AP code

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter