• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are your favorite things to do that aren't rides or shows?

vcgirl925

DIS Veteran
I'm 11 weeks pregnant and am looking for alternate things to do while the rest of my family does some of the attractions i can't do. Would love to get some ideas!

Grab a copy of Hidden Magic of WDW...
Take it to the park with you and walk the book looking at all the cool hidden stuff most people don't take the time to notice.

Do you have a specific theme park in mind when you ask this question? It might help to know if your question is park specific.

I would hop on the wedway people mover um..... the new name escapes me! I coould ride that for an hour! Then I would walk over the Carousel of Progress. I know they are rides, but I think you could handle them at 11 weeks. Have fun!

If you are in EPCOT, spend some time in WS. I could spend hours going through all the countries and watching the films. I definitely would be checking out the cookies, etc. in Germany!! ;)

At 11 weeks you would be suprised ho little ther is that you won't be able to do. My doc says everything without a height requirment is fine. Even someo f the height requirment rides were ok. Splash comes to mind. I don't think there were more than 3-4 in each park that were off limits.

At 11 weeks you can ride almost everything in WDW (unless of course morning sickness is an issue). In Mk only the mountains are out (I think). Epcot, you can probably only go on Soarin. The rest might not be too good and I dont knwo if soarin has a pregnancy warning. DHS and Ak might be a bit of an issue, but at least at AK there are tons of walking paths. :thumbsup2

Congrats on the new baby!

I would hop on the wedway people mover um..... the new name escapes me! I coould ride that for an hour! Then I would walk over the Carousel of Progress. I know they are rides, but I think you could handle them at 11 weeks. Have fun!

Love those rides. But my kids love them too so i would go on with them.

Thanks everyone. I guess what i'm looking for are things that are off the beaten path. I know there used to be a wishing well somewhere by the castle that you could hear something....or maybe a shop that has interesting details or items.

I already told dh that i am getting alone time in WS. I want to actually leisurely walk through it and take in the movies and details. Usually we fly through because the kids are bored.

My family likes to search for Hidden Mickeys, many of which are located in waiting areas, shops, and restaurants.

Watching the little train near Germany is fun and there are benches nearby to sit. Also in WS, I would recommend Impressions de France (it's a good movie and the theater has seats).

Sitting on a bench and looking at the Tree of Life in AK is also a good thing to do. There are so many animals carved and there are some benches scattered around the tree base.

Here are some things we have done that are not rides/shows but we had a lot of fun:

1. head to Fort Wilderness and check out the animals, maybe do a pony ride for the kids (you lead the pony around, so since you do all the work, technically not a ride) :)

2. Same area - do a horse drawn carriage ride.

3. check out the fireworks from the beach at the polynesian

4. mini-golf

5. Animal Kingdom - go to Rafiki's your kids will love it and you can sit down and take it easy. Also at AK - if you are not too tired, do the animal trails.

6. if you have a car, resort hop and have the kids collect pressed pennies.

7. shop shop shop at DD.

8. head to Beach Club and go to beaches and Cream for hot fudge sundae

Just a couple, I'm sure others will have plenty of more ideas.

Thanks everyone. I guess what i'm looking for are things that are off the beaten path. I know there used to be a wishing well somewhere by the castle that you could hear something....or maybe a shop that has interesting details or items.

I already told dh that i am getting alone time in WS. I want to actually leisurely walk through it and take in the movies and details. Usually we fly through because the kids are bored.

Around Castle I would suggest,

1. Get on a boat but make sure you get a seat, 20 min, boring but if you sit it is nice.
2. Hall of Presidents.
3. Shooting place.
4. Pins store.
5. Store right across Hall of Presidents. They have a book with last names like in England/Epcot. It is fun to find your family history.
6. Dole Whip.
7. COP
8. HM, if kids are afraid of it.
9. People Mover.

Those are around Castle and around mountains. I would suggest to skip all mountains, Cups, Buzz, POTC in MK.

Epcot, skip MS, TT, Norway ride. You can still do Soarin, Turtle Talk, can't think of what else.

DHS, avoid TOT, RNR, TSM(not smoove), do each and every life show.

AK, avoid EE, Kali River, Safari is a ?, Dino, and any ride at Dino land.

I could spend days at Epcot, just walking around all of the countries and enjoying the shopos and scenery. And the same goes for Animal Kingdom. The trails there are fascinating, the animals are beautiful. FOLK is my all-time favorite live show. :love: And I feel like looking at the Tree of Life is my own personal scavenger hunt, to see how many carvings I can spot. ;)

WORLD SHOWCASE!!! The shops, shows, street acts, food....Impressions de France, Miyuki, Voices of Liberty, Mariachi Cobre....it's all great!!!

While they ride Splash or Big Thunder I would sit in one of the rocking chairs on the porch of the store in Frontierland and just relax and people watch. I've always thought that looked nice, but we never took the time. Our last trip, it was raining really hard and DD (then 3) fell asleep in Country Bear Jamboree. It was raining too hard for her to sleep in the stroller, so I got her over to the porch and just sat in a rocking chair with her on my lap until she woke up. I really enjoyed it. You might find yourself getting tired a little faster while pregnant, so you might need an extra rest now and then.

While they ride Splash or Big Thunder I would sit in one of the rocking chairs on the porch of the store in Frontierland and just relax and people watch. I've always thought that looked nice, but we never took the time. Our last trip, it was raining really hard and DD (then 3) fell asleep in Country Bear Jamboree. It was raining too hard for her to sleep in the stroller, so I got her over to the porch and just sat in a rocking chair with her on my lap until she woke up. I really enjoyed it. You might find yourself getting tired a little faster while pregnant, so you might need an extra rest now and then.

Totally will get tired easily. Thanks for the great place to rest!

I was pregnant when we went in 2008 and there are still TONS that you can do. I steered clear of the rides that have a pregnancy warning, except for Soarin'. I thought that was just a silly warning. It's not like it's bumpy or has any sudden drops.

I had a great time checking out all the shops without anyone rushing me out the door to the next ride. Definitely get the Hidden WDW book that the pp suggested and you could also get a Hidden Mickey book.

Have a great time and Congratulations!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter