• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are your FAVORITE running/walking shoes?

ggeorgiagirl

Valdosta, GA
I am sure that it has been here before but could someone give me some advice on jogging/walking shoes. My Nikes are about WORN out and I was hoping that some of you could give me some ideas for new ones? The high school kids at our shoe store just want to sell me the most expensive tennis shoes in town! They do not have much advice for me!

HUGS!

Beth

Beth - First of all, you are part of one beautiful family! Love the pic! Now, on to your question......

I've run 2 marathons in ASICs 2110s. They are around $85 to $95, which is not a bad price for good running shoes. Many love teh ASIC Kayano. Those run ~$135. You can find deals on shoes online,but here's my best advice:

Find a a real running store. Most of them do not employ HS kids. ;) Take in your Nikes and tell tehm what yuo liked or did not. Most of them will have you walk to see what kind of a stride you have (pronator? High or low arch?).

They should be able to recommend something, maybe several. Try them on. See what feels right. Now, you will pay refular price, but their advice is usually priceless. Buy at least your first pair there, iif you find something tha tyou think you will be happy with. If you like those, find online deals after that if you need to. (Actually, I found that DSW has a graet selection of running shoes for pretty good rpices if you know what you want)

FInal advice - Go at least one size bigger than normal. Your feet will elongate during long runs and you need alot of toe room.

Good luck and happy shopping!

You really need to go to a specialty running store (not Dick's or The Finish Line, etc) and have them find you the perfect pair for you. My running store really works with me to find the right shoe, they have me walk bare foot with my pant legs rolled up, so they can watch my ankles and see which way my feet turn, then I can try on several different pair of shoes (they don't try to sell me the most expensive ones), and I can even run outside for a few minutes to see how they feel. Lots of stores have a treadmill and will put you up there and video tape you running, to get a better idea of what kind of runner you are (ie. do you over pronate, supponate, etc). Also, take your old running shoes with you so they can see where the wear on tread is. This gives them a good clue as to how you run as well. Running stores really will work with you to find what you need, not what is good for their sales. Hope this helps!

Oh, and I wear New Balance 857's and I love them!!

Ditto the above!

After wearing many different shoes (Asics 2110, Brooks Dyad 3, NB different styles,etc.) I have been wearing Mizuno's Inspire 2. I wore this shoe during WDW marathon. While at the expo I tried the updated Inspire 3, which feels even better than the 2's. Since I have less than 200 miles on my 2's I won't be getting the 3's for another month or so.

Good luck on finding your perfect shoe!!!

Erica:)

Y'all are SOOOO kind! I guess the nearest running shoe store would be in Tallahassee (1.5 hours away). We have a Lady Foot locker here in town...but, then again, it is high schoolers selling the latest and greatest!

I will check around on the internet and find a location where I can find a good store!

Thanks for the comment Carrie! I am the luckiest mom in the WORLD! We are at WDW in the pic...at Christmas time! I love seeing that photo as it brings back such good memories!

Erica, I have never heard of Mizuno's! I will be checking on those!

Krista, I would have never thought to take my old one's in...but now looking at the bottom...you can REALLY see where I wear them out!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

My only tips of advice:

It will be the shoe that works for you--try them all if necessary!

When you approach 300 miles, it is time to switch shoes. You don't want to wear them until they are broke. Log your miles and once you get in that neighborhood, get a new pair. Especially important when you are in live training for a distance event.

There is a link in the FAQ where you can self assess your own feet to try and determine which type of shoe you require. That way you can head in that direction. You may have to resort to on-line purchasing perhaps from a vendor with a generous return policy in case the shoe you select doesn't work out.

I haven't been to Dick's--but most of the other regular athletic stores only carry shoes that are considered "neutral". They might have some stability--but sometimes they wouldn't know which shoes to shoe you if you ask.

Krista, I would have never thought to take my old one's in...but now looking at the bottom...you can REALLY see where I wear them out!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Where in particular?

I ask b/c it means a couple of things--you have used them too long and if wear is favoring a particular part of the foot--it could mean it is not the right shoe for you.

My wear (before getting shoes proper for my foot) would be towards the arch...and the sidewall of the inside of the shoe would be collapsing.

Hey Beth-

I live near you-- I think the closest store I found was Savannah or Jax (I'm in Waycross). I couldn't work in a road trip, but had to replace my old shoes! I ended up going with a large internet store. I tried to interpret my wear pattern and arches on my own and e-mailed them for recommendations. I ended up with Mizunos and new insoles. I think they are really comfortable, but of course, I have nothing to compare them to except my old, painful shoes.

I know it would be WAY smarter to try on a bunch of shoes and the perfect shoe may be out there waiting for me, but until I can go on a road trip, this approach worked. I did order a size larger based on the recommendation of the store. I also made sure they had a good return policy in case I could tell quickly that they weren't working.

As I put in more miles and start to get serious about training for Minnie, I'll probably try to get to a specialty store just to make sure. I just didn't want to lose my motivation before i even started...

Jen2 (hoosmi)

Based on the advice of this board I scouted around and found a running store. It is just a tiny place in the front of a workout center. But, the guy that runs it is involved in the local track club and is a coach for the Team in Training.

So, I went to him and ended up with a pair of ASICS Kayano which were on sale because they are last years model. Otherwise I would have gone with the New balance 767 as I loved my old 766's. But, he didn't sell new balance. He did look at my old shoe and watched me run. Luckily I have a pretty neutral run so I don't need any special support.

So, don't give up and check out the local runners - where do they get their shoes?
Enjoy,
Duane

I use the Brooks Adrenaline 6 GTS and like them. I used a Sauchany pair once and didn't see much difference except in the price.

Bill

I also agree with getting fitted if you can. Otherwise find a really good online retailer with a great return policy.

I love my Asics Gel Foundation VIs! I don't think I am the type to be attached to a shoe. But I saw a podiatrist this summer. He checked out my running shoes and said that he couldn't have picked a better shoe for my very flat feet! He wanted to know who suggested those for me. So, now I am attached to them. And they of course, discontinued them.

I did order a size larger based on the recommendation of the store.

Jen brought up a good point. Larger size for running. I have a 7 1/2 size everyday shoe but my running shoes are a 9. My old Brooks Ariel were a 9 and think my new New Balance 122s are the same but I just don't recall. I just know I have room in the toe box. You don't want squished toes!

Like the others my local running store has me walk around (minus shoes) with my pants rolled up so they can evaluate my feet better.

Then out come the shoes. I swear it takes me an hour to find the perfect pair. I have a favorite guy who I trust at the local store and he makes sure I have plenty of room in the toe box. Makes sure the shoes aren't too tight on the sides. They allow you to test the shoes by running around the building and into the nearby sub a bit.

A side note, Susan (my running partner) has wide feet (*evil laugh* she's gonna love me talking about them) but she was wearing regular shoes! She bought new shoes last spring and throughout the spring, summer and early fall was in constant pain. It finally came down to her going to a sports orthodic place to have her feet looked at and to get inserts made. They were the ones to recommend specific shoes and told her she needed to look at wider shoes. Now that she has her width needed she actually picked up a comfortable pair of New Balance at Kohls that are walking shoes and finished her 2nd Donald (WDW). But this issue was part of the reason she was unable to finish the DL race. By mile 1.5 she was already in pain and as I came upon her was informed she wasn't going to finish. She tried and made it another mile and then made the decision it was better to pull herself than to cause further injury.

Now that our race is over Susan is going to start hunting down a comforatble pair of running shoes. Nothing makes me nervous than Susan getting new shoes for training and racing. :eek:

Try them, take your time. Best now to take the time than later during a race deal with issues. Good luck!!! Hope you find a pair soon and that the weather is lovely so you can enjoy them!!!!

I also agree with getting fitted if you can. Otherwise find a really good online retailer with a great return policy.

I love my Asics Gel Foundation VIs! I don't think I am the type to be attached to a shoe. But I saw a podiatrist this summer. He checked out my running shoes and said that he couldn't have picked a better shoe for my very flat feet! He wanted to know who suggested those for me. So, now I am attached to them. And they of course, discontinued them.

Hi Kristi1357- I work at a small running store (just the owner and me, and we are both athletic trainers who have degrees in biomechanics)- just a note on the Foundations- Asics didn't discontinue that style, they just updated them to the 7's. I just sold a pair today to a runner that LOVED the 6's, and she said these were even better! They have really made some nice upgrades to their line this spring- I have tried them on when our Asics rep comes in, and they added memory foam to the medial heel cup, which feels great. As far as the stability level and location, the foundation 7's are pretty much the same, so they should still work for you. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Hi Kristi1357- I work at a small running store (just the owner and me, and we are both athletic trainers who have degrees in biomechanics)- just a note on the Foundations- Asics didn't discontinue that style, they just updated them to the 7's. I just sold a pair today to a runner that LOVED the 6's, and she said these were even better! They have really made some nice upgrades to their line this spring- I have tried them on when our Asics rep comes in, and they added memory foam to the medial heel cup, which feels great. As far as the stability level and location, the foundation 7's are pretty much the same, so they should still work for you. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Thanks for the info!

I thought the new ones would be fine for me too. Just that fear of the unknown! I just grabbed another pair of the 6s online just to be safe. After those, I will be moving up to the 7s!

I do like the new color better - the purple just doesn't go with all my other gear. ;)

Find a a real running store. Most of them do not employ HS kids. ;) Take in your Nikes and tell tehm what yuo liked or did not. Most of them will have you walk to see what kind of a stride you have (pronator? High or low arch?).!

ABSOLUTELY. And good stores will have a treadmill so you can actually run in the shoes for a few paces. Oh - and bring the socks you like to run in with you to try on the new shoes.

:tiptoe:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter