What are your favorite products for detangling?

bjscheel

(Avatar art by my daughter)
DD10's hair is getting curlier and thicker by the day I think! I don't think she would be able to comb through it all herself, so when I leave before she gets up, it doesn't get done till I get home from work. Yesterday she looked like the Bride of Frankenstein. :duck:

Her hair is light brown, about shoulder length, but if you pulled down the ringlets some of it would probably be mid-back. The underneath ringlets are the worst to comb out!

We need help for tangles! It is easy to comb through when it has been washed, but washing every morning is not going to happen, nor do I think it should be washed every day. And when she washes at night and goes to bed with it wet- watch out the next morning! Eeek! I need something for the in-between days. We have a Pantene detangling spray and I use a wide tooth comb or pick.

Is there anything better?

My daughter has combo curly/straight hair. When she wakes up in the morning you would think her finger was in the socket. It's awful.

We started using a kids bed head spray that Suave makes (Suave Kids Morning Hair Tamer...has an monkey like animal juggling oranges on the bottle). It smells great, and works really well. It has a nice orange smell to it. It has made taming her mane much easier. It helps with pony tails too! :thumbsup2

My daughter is bi-racial (black/white) so has very curly hair. Her hair dry is right at her shoulders, but lower back when wet. The difference for us has been to band or put her hair in 3 easy braids before bed. I lightly mist it with 3/4 water to 1/4 conditioner mixed in a water bottle. I use Suave Almond/Shea Butter for this but you could use any cheap conditioner (also use that in the bath tub as a detangler while I am combing her hair out). Then put 2 or 3 quick braids in it every night. Takes less than 10 minutes and I avoid the 30 minutes of trying to comb out the matted rat's nest in the morning if I didn't do it. Then in the morning, you can mist with water/conditioner again and use the wide tooth comb or even finger comb. The process in the morning takes NO time, less than five minutes--and if her hair is curly enough, you won't even have to use rubberbands at the ends of the braids, which keeps her hair healthy.

This is something your DD may be able to do on her own. :thumbsup2

We use different sprays, L'oreal has a good one for kids but sometimes I get a free bottle of the Ouidad one with my stuff and it is good, too, but if I didn't get it with my stuff for free I wouldn't pay the extra for it. I can tell a difference if my daughter didn't do a good job putting on conditioner, but the best thing that we have is the Tangle Teezer. It is a brush, but it is handheld and about the size of your hand. We bought ours at either Regis or Mastercuts(can't remember which)--and it was well worth the $10(I think that's what it was--somewhere around that price).

My dd 5 has curly hair to her waist, we use suave detangling spray apple scent. Also when shampooing her hair we leave the conditioner in her hair for longer not rinsing immediately. I also put her hair in a low ponytail when she sleeps. I haven't tried it but was told that using a silk pillowcase causes fewer tangles overnight.

Thanks for the tips. She has done braids at night occasionally, but not on a regular basis. We should try being more consistent on that. We have tried silk pillowcases but don't notice a difference either way. I put the Tangle Teezer in my Amazon cart to think about. I think I will pick up some Suave too and see if we like it better than the Pantene detangler.

Her sister was also blessed with curly hair but not as tight or thick so she doesn't have problems any more. I LOVE their hair...when it looks nice!

I ordered a spray from Amazon, it was Aussie Hair Insurance Leave in Spray Conditioner, it's wonderful for getting the tangles out. I use it instead of regular conditioner, because my hair tends to get oily and this is perfect.

My younger daughters have waist length hair and the older daughters did also back in the day. I agree the night time braids are the key and also use the water cheap conditioner spray combo. Works great and DD8 can comb out her hair in the morning by herself.

My 11 year old granddaughter's hair is very curly. When she was younger her mother used a leave in spray conditioner. She also put it in a braid every night. As an 11 year old she can brush it herself, she braids her hair every night before she goes to bed. And also uses a conditioner after washing her hair which helps to get the tangles out.

My dd uses Suave apple de tangled and brushes with the Knot Genie. The Knot Genie brush is sold at Shear Madness kids salons.

My DD has long, very thick, straight hair. We used No More Tangles when she was younger. Then a brilliant hair stylist suggested that we thin her hair. I was very hesitant, but the results are outstanding. Much more manageable and it still looks thick.

Another brush in the same family is the Hair Bean, which you can pick up at BB&B with a coupon. It does work pretty well for detangling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter