• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are your best Europe tips?

I'd say to do a bit of blending in, for example to go a bit dressier than at home. In Italy a couple was fuming as they thought they were being targeted because they were Americans, but I think sweats and tie dye shorts in the Vatican gave them away as tourists. And I know they are going to London and Paris, but I always try to convince people to stop by Berlin. I think it is one of the most amazing places in the world.
London and England are pretty expensive, with that being said the people are awesome. I went to school there( Lucy Cavendish @ Cambridge) and when I go see my friends if I can't stay with one of them because it's our whole horde then I rent a private room. They have tons of options on the web. Much, much cheaper and more personal than a hotel. I am sure natives can give you the best tips.
Paris is awesome, but I would really suggest learning some basics in French, they love it over there if you at least give it a try. Try to get out into the country side, just a short train ride away there are tons of WWI and WWII sites and cemeteries and local museums. Really fascinating, well to me.

I use my Amex quite frequently but also have a Mastercard and Visa just in case. But cash is still king in many countries, such as Germany. And as someone pointed out, chips are common in credit cards here; hence your American cards often won't work in machines at train/metro stations, parking machines, etc. As someone pointed out, don't expect to pay in American money, and don't tip in it either. You wouldn't like it if I gave you a few Euro coins, right?

Are you interested in 'Europe', or specific countries? 'Europe' is rather vague and too broad to give information. If you narrow it down we can give you country specific advice. From what I gather - London, Paris, and ??? If you are including Rome, for instance, I recently did a review of the various tours of the city available and can link it for you.

I am in Paris every few months; don't know what you want to know. I strongly urge people not to follow Rick Steves advice as I have some very strong feelings about him. If it is your taste, fine, but you won't see as much of real people and places - but you will find lots of Americans around you (I passed a restaurant in Rome a few weeks ago with a sign 'featured in Rick Steves' and it was packed with Americans, with a menu board in English. Not very 'local flavour')

For Paris don't get sucked into the overpriced Paris Visite card; buy carnets of metro tickets or a Carte Orange for weekly travel depending on your arrival date. Check the www.ratp.fr site for travel info, but note that if you turn it into English language it won't give you the cheaper options but only the overpriced tourist options.

If you are buying train tickets buy them at the local sites ie www.sncf.fr etc. The North American sites which sell European train tickets have a high markup and you will save a lot of if you buy local. Look for local specials; I can often get train tickets from Germany to Paris for 29 Euros, for instance; or I can find First Class tickets for less than Second Class if I am flexible on date/time. Flying may be cheaper than taking the train in some cases; you really need to do your homework. But note that there are dozens of LCCs in Europe and if you add in the cost of getting to out of the way airports, fees for checked luggage, and fees for boarding, low cost carriers may not be cheaper than legacy carriers. If you then factor in travel time, flying may be a better value than taking the train.

Americans often find our hotel rooms small; many do not have air conditioning and most do not have washcloths, unless they cater to Americans.

Eat like the locals; that means find the local bakeries or local chains or even food from the grocery store. In Paris the bakery chain Paul is excellent for cheap meals; Hippo is a good local restaurant chain. There are fixed price menus in most restaurants which are a good value. Ask your hotel or people in shops etc for a recommendation. Paris doesn't have to be expensive, contrary to popular belief.

Buy souvenirs at the grocery store. Local chocolates, cookies, drinks, etc make good gifts at a reasonable price. Look for local hypermarkets such as REAL in Germany or Auchan in France, or local discount stores such as Monoprix. They usually sell better products at a reasonable price when compared to places aimed at tourists.

Clothing and shoes are expensive here; I can buy Longchamp and GEOX for instance, two of my favourite brands, for cheaper in America than in France or Italy or Germany. If you are interested in buying clothes or shoes, then do some research but you may be shocked at the prices. Sales are usually held twice a year in January and July in Paris; this is a good time to stock up on end of season items.

Don't feel that you have to 'do' sights. I see tourists trailing around, looking miserable, because someone told them that they had to 'do' Versailles, or 'do' the Louvre, and they have actually no interest in art, or history. (And those sights can take many hours or even days to see even part of what they have to offer) Follow your interests and include them in your plans. If you don't like going to museums, and have no interest, then find something more to your taste. Buy local guides in the cities, such as 'Time Out' or similar. For guidebooks, find one of your home town, read the description, and if you like what they say and it is accurate, that is an indication that the series is going to be useful. I often find books which are inaccurate, or even offensive, about where I live, so I won't buy books in that series.

Avoid being scammed; American tourists are a target in big cities because they are visible and sometimes too friendly. If someone asks you to help find their diamond ring that they dropped, or a woman runs after you crying 'speak English?' chances are they have identified you as a possibly easy target. Don't feel bad about saying 'NO', or just walking away. I never get bothered by these types because I don't stand out and don't make myself available to them.

Dress appropriately. All summer I saw tourists turned away at cathedrals (even at the Vatican!) for wearing shorts and bare shoulders. Short shorts, tank tops, flip flops are not worn in cities by most locals and may be considered inappopriate or even disrespectful.

Learn some basics of the language. 'Hello, goodbye, thank you, excuse me, do you speak English?' Don't launch into English and expect us to understand. Even if we do speak English, many of us struggle to understand some American accents. It may sound like a stereotype, but again I saw this all summer long and actually had people shout at me in English without even addressing me in German. If I walked up to you in your hometown and started babbling at you in German, you may not be overly friendly or helpful either. People of an older generation, or in smaller towns, don't always speak English. Even some Germans I know don't speak very strong English, so be aware of that.

And remember that most of us do understand English, so don't talk about us loudly and criticise our clothing, or habits, if we are sitting right next to you on a train or in a restaurant. Yes, I had that happen to me many times this summer too... apparently I dress 'weird' as do many of my countrypeople. :rolleyes:

Again, if you have more details as to what specifically you wish to know, it would help to narrow it down. I hope that I didn't offend anyone in my comments; I am always happy to help people plan their trips, but this summer in particular seems to have been a bit of a challenge and I will admit that I am a bit cranky from some of my interactions... :)

Bank of America, BNP Paribas, DeutscheBank, ScotiaBank, Barclays have a no fee agreement for ATM withdrawals. I use this service all the time when travelling which saves me countless money in fees throughout the year as I am in so many different countries.

This is particularly helpful as cash is still more useful in much of Europe.

Bank of America, BNP Paribas, DeutscheBank, ScotiaBank, Barclays have a no fee agreement for ATM withdrawals. I use this service all the time when travelling which saves me countless money in fees throughout the year as I am in so many different countries.

This is particularly helpful as cash is still more useful in much of Europe.
Thanks for this info and the other you sent. I really do appreciate it.

American Express is worthless outside the states.

:confused: I pay for my gas in Germany with Amex all the time. I pay for a LOT of things with my Amex here. I even have one for work expenses and one for personal expenses because it is so useful. In fact I just was in Germany, Austria, Belgium, France, Italy, Switzerland, Monaco in the past few weeks and used my Amex for several thousands of Euros in purchases. I even use Amex at small bakeries etc.

Amex is NOT worthless - just ask if the vendor accepts it.

IAmericans often find our hotel rooms small; many do not have air conditioning and most do not have washcloths, unless they cater to Americans.

Most beds are smaller and not as comfortable either. Most hotels have a breakfast included in the price.

Eat like the locals; that means find the local bakeries or local chains or even food from the grocery store. In Paris the bakery chain Paul is excellent for cheap meals; Hippo is a good local restaurant chain. There are fixed price menus in most restaurants which are a good value. Ask your hotel or people in shops etc for a recommendation. Paris doesn't have to be expensive, contrary to popular belief.

Around here, the cheapest meals are the small places that sell pizza by the slice and those counter places that have already prepared foods and you just point and they put it on a plate and you eat it standing up. My favorite is the fried mashed potato balls and fried rice balls. You can also get pasta, etc. Oh, and if you go to a cafe counter and order coffee and then decide to sit down at one of the tables outside, you can't do this. Sitting at the table means you pay more for the items. You are being served by the wait staff, thus more expense with the tip. If you only want counter service, you must pay for the items first. The cash register is usually close to the counter. Take your receipt to the counter and they will serve you there. Leave about 10-20 Euro cent for a counter tip even if it is just a cup of coffee. Oh, and there is no American coffee in Italy. Please don't be like the American tourists my friend saw who got very angry and kept demanding American coffee. When you are ugly, it makes life for us more difficult. Italian coffee is very strong and not watered down. This is why there is about 2 swallows in a cup.

Buy souvenirs at the grocery store. Local chocolates, cookies, drinks, etc make good gifts at a reasonable price. Look for local hypermarkets such as REAL in Germany or Auchan in France, or local discount stores such as Monoprix. They usually sell better products at a reasonable price when compared to places aimed at tourists.

We have Auchan (which I love :love: ) here as well, but you won't find them anywhere near the tourist areas. You have to go outside the downtown city location. It would take you about 1-1/2 hours to get to the one here from Downtown. You would have to stick with the mom and pop type places if you have no car and you are not adventurous.

Clothing and shoes are expensive here; I can buy Longchamp and GEOX for instance, two of my favourite brands, for cheaper in America than in France or Italy or Germany. If you are interested in buying clothes or shoes, then do some research but you may be shocked at the prices. Sales are usually held twice a year in January and July in Paris; this is a good time to stock up on end of season items.

Italian name brand items normally thought to be so much cheaper in Italy are NOT cheaper. Not by the price tag and definitely not after you add the 50% markup due to the curency exchange rate. Stick with the street vendors who sell the knock offs. Haggle. If they say 20Euro, tell them 10.

Avoid being scammed; American tourists are a target in big cities because they are visible and sometimes too friendly. If someone asks you to help find their diamond ring that they dropped, or a woman runs after you crying 'speak English?' chances are they have identified you as a possibly easy target. Don't feel bad about saying 'NO', or just walking away. I never get bothered by these types because I don't stand out and don't make myself available to them.

I have never seen that scam. PLEASE don't give to beggars. They are not as bad off as they want you to believe. They are usually clean, well fed, and do have places to live, unlike what you are used to beggars being like in America. By giving to them, you make life harder for those who live here. You will normally be approached by a woman with a baby (the same baby will be seen with 3-4 other women each day....they pass them around for the sympathy donations), someone with a horrible body defect (burn victim, diabetic eaten foot, etc), small children taught to look sad and cute (mom knows they get more money if they give them a toy musical instrument). If you give to the children, they will not go away. They will literally cling to your leg like a monkey and not let go. The idea is to get more money out of you. If people stop giving, they would pack their bags and find another city to beg, but thanks to the tourists, they stay.

Dress appropriately. All summer I saw tourists turned away at cathedrals (even at the Vatican!) for wearing shorts and bare shoulders. Short shorts, tank tops, flip flops are not worn in cities by most locals and may be considered inappopriate or even disrespectful.

Only tourists wear shorts in Italy. If you are worried about being hot, wear capris. They are always in style here.

Learn some basics of the language. 'Hello, goodbye, thank you, excuse me, do you speak English?' Don't launch into English and expect us to understand. Even if we do speak English, many of us struggle to understand some American accents. It may sound like a stereotype, but again I saw this all summer long and actually had people shout at me in English without even addressing me in German. If I walked up to you in your hometown and started babbling at you in German, you may not be overly friendly or helpful either. People of an older generation, or in smaller towns, don't always speak English. Even some Germans I know don't speak very strong English, so be aware of that.

And the knowledge of English depends on the location. Not all tourist areas are going to be filled with English speaking people. For example, my city does have a small number of English speaking people to serve the English speaking tourists, but they are only found in certain establishments that want to make a profit off tourists......restaurants for example. Even then, the knowledge is limited. Example, you want to come here, so you might just learn "Thank you, please, etc.". That foreigner who can speak English might only know words related to their job such as "I would like, glass, water, fork, etc". Remember that most people who live here (well, my area for example) are majority poor and will NEVER leave their city or even their country. They have no desire to learn a foreign language because it will do them no good. Just as most Americans don't speak anything other than English. I encounter many Italians who get excited to see me and start speaking in English. They say "Hi, where are you from?" Sounds like they can speak good English, but that really is the extent of their English. Answer back that you are from America and now live here and they understood the "America" part, but have no clue what "I live here" means. They will just smile and leave it at that. They are just being friendly. In my area if a person asks you, "English?", they are not asking if you speak English, they want to know if you are from Great Britain. You MUST answer no, American. The Italians in my area are NOT overly thrilled to have British people here.

And remember that most of us do understand English, so don't talk about us loudly and criticise our clothing, or habits, if we are sitting right next to you on a train or in a restaurant. Yes, I had that happen to me many times this summer too... apparently I dress 'weird' as do many of my countrypeople. :rolleyes:

This is true, but at the same time I encounter Italians who will openly speak about me thinking I can't understand them.

Again, if you have more details as to what specifically you wish to know, it would help to narrow it down. I hope that I didn't offend anyone in my comments; I am always happy to help people plan their trips, but this summer in particular seems to have been a bit of a challenge and I will admit that I am a bit cranky from some of my interactions... :)

Let it roll off. This is the only way I survive.

I would also like to add some area specific stuff (Naples) since you only said "Mediterranean" and many ships stop here. We don't have toilet paper in the bathrooms. Most toilets don't have seats. Just hover and try not to breathe or be totally disgusted by the "gas station" style bathrooms. Buy some of those pocket kleenex or wiping...lol.

If you see "hot dogs", don't expect an American hotdog. It will be like a hotdog in shape, but not flavor. The bun will be more of a homemade roll/bread. Pizza is not like in America. THe sauce is basically tomato sauce and the cheese is extremely limited and is water buffalo. It is far superior to American pizza, but is an acquired taste. Tipping is normally added to the bill. Leaving an additional tip is recommended, but Italians are not big on tipping. This is why they have the other charge on the bill. I recommend you tip additionally. You musgt ask for the bill. Italians take hours to eat a meal. Nobody is rushed out of a restaurant for the next guest. If you don't ask for the bill, you won't get it. Always try to have more than enough Euro in your wallet at all times to cover restaurants. Not all of them have the ability to accept credit cards. Most restaurants are mom and pop places.

The elderly are respected here. Give up your seat on the buses, etc.

Keep your pocketbook sort of in front of you with your hand on the strap/bag. Just pay attention to the locals and do what they do and you will be fine. You don't have to be paranoid that you will have something stolen. Just be smart. FOr the men, put wallets in front pockets and DON'T let a belt vendor approach you and jerk your pants up and down to show you that you need a belt. They are distracting you from the action of his hand going into your front pocket for your wallet. Again, be aware.

Homeless dogs run in packs (3-7), but are not dangerous like in America.

Stay away from tourist restaurants. They charge you twice as much if they advertise English menu. By all means try the gelato (ice cream). Ice is rare. Some restaurants catering to Americans will have it. DON'T and I repeat DON'T ask for tap water. I have never seen even a local drink it in a restaurant. It is not always healthy straight from the tap and the reason everyone drinks bottled water. This is why asking for ice is not a good idea. Ice melts......ice used to be the tap water ;) Be specific when asking for water. Italians drink fizzy water. Just say "Naturale or no gas". Also, most sodas are pretty close to room temp and wine is ALWAYS room temp. The house wine is usually cheap and very good. If buying wine from a store, don't pay more than 10Euro a bottle. Good wine does not have to be expensive as assumed in America.

Standing in line is a concept people don't understand here. You can be standing at the counter of McDonald's about to give your order and someone else will come along and push in front of you. You just have to know your order ahead of time, stand very close to the person in front of you (oh, personal space doesn't exist here either ;) , and as soon as the person in front of you is getting change, you MUST begin giving your order forcefully. Italians have no patience and what we take as being rude, they understand it to be acceptable behavior.....like picking noses in public. There is no line. They sort of huddle like you see in the line for Haunted Masion.

Violent crime is not normal here. You might have your purse stolen, but they won't beat you up or shoot you in the process.

Watch the taxi drivers. Make sure they use the meter. If you are driving, paper road maps are useless. It took us purchasing 5 maps of Rome before we found an accurate one. I HIGHLY recommend getting a European version map for your GPS. If buying gas, they pump it for you. If they clean your windshield, give them 1 Euro. I really recommend you not try to drive in the Naples area......just trust me on this one. Also, please don't walk out in front of traffic....especially the scooters and Smart Cars (those tiny cars). If in doubt, mingle with the locals as they cross the street. There is a certain way you have to do it. It is an eye thing and body language. Difficult to explain.

bavaria & Sleepy - thank you both for your specific suggestions. (thanks to everyone for their tidbits of knowledge too!)

I appreciate you taking the time to impart some European info!

Let's Go Europe always has some stellar but inexpensive restraunt recommends for London and Paris. They are usually in very interesting areas of town too. Let's GO has lots of great information. The Med cruise will be facinating and luckily all food and expenses are covered. I hope they are spending enough time in each city. Nothing worse than trying to overcome jet lag on your first day but being desperate to get out and see things because your time is short. A well placed hotel is well worth the cost in these two cities if time is short.

Some random thoughts inspired by sleepy's response....

It shows how different every country and culture is in Europe. Even things are different in Bavaria from other states in Germany sometimes. So that is why we asked for specific country names to try and be more specific about information.

The one time I do give money to beggars is to the urchins in Paris who wait by the metro exit. (KEEP your ticket as you need to put it in the machine to open the gates to get out) Sometimes the ticket fails and a child will run over with a discarded ticket to let one out. I keep a few coins in my pocket and will give them a 'tip' - well earned otherwise I would be stuck inside!

You have to pay to pee in most of Europe. This can range from the Sanifair toilets in Germany which are self cleaning and do everything but sing, to the cold metal seatless WC on the Autobahn. Reststops have generally 3 types - Sanifair, ordinary toilets, or WCs which are gender neutral and icy cold on the rear end in winter. I try and only stop at Sanifair locations but on some Autobahn routes have no choice. Fee is usually 0,50 and only Euro coins will work. Usually there is a machine with a turnstyle; sometimes you tip the attendant. At Sanifair machines a coupon pops out worth 0,50 purchase in the shop or cafe; tourists tend to litter these on the ground and children then collect them and their fathers give them to nice strangers like me. ;) I may pay for you to pee if you ask nicely, but I WILL take the coupon - I paid and it is mine, thank you very much!

Which brings me to the endless males in the bathroom debate here! Expect to see men cleaning the women's washrooms in Germany and France. Why pay two people to do one job? And no, they won't wait until the washroom is empty. It is just the way things are done, so don't fret.

Also as sleepy says carry your tissues in your purse - they are sold all over Europe in little packets like you find in the Target travel section. Paying does not always include TP. Don't expect to find public toilets everywhere; if you see one plan ahead and use it as you may not find another one for hours.

I too love the rice balls in Italy - another example of cheap local food. Gelato in Germany and Austria and the Italian Tirol is usually 1,00 or less a ball; it can be 3,50 or more a ball in tourist places in Italy. I pay about 1,00 for gelato from a hole in the wall place in Rome which I think has better than the higher priced tourist place.

Sadly American chains are popping up; especially in large German cities such as Düsseldorf where one walks past Subway, Ben and Jerry's, Starbucks, Burger King, etc. Burger King has even invaded almost every Autobahn reststop. I suggest finding local chains - Nordsee for instance is a popular German fast food chain serving fish, or even the sadly disappearing Bavarian chain Wienerwald, which serves more local food for a cheap price.

Food courts are popular in cities and a good place to find local food for cheap. I love the one under the former Hertie department store in Munich and can get a great lunch for about 3,00 Euros. The cafeteria at Galeries Lafayette in Paris is a little more expensive, but I can still have a good two course lunch for 10 Euros, with a spectacular view overlooking the Opera, Tour Montparnasse, the Eiffel Tower, and Arc de Triomphe.

Also look for food markets in most towns and cities. But again, don't expect the vendors to speak English in that type of environment.

In Germany and Austria bring a shopping bag. I use a nylon one which squeezes down to just a few centimetres. You pay extra for a shopping bag at the grocery store, or may not even find one. Many vendors still provide food in paper cones, just as they did a century ago.

In Paris, Auchan is easily reached via the metro at La Defense. In Germany ALDI and Lidl are discount grocery chains in every city and even in small towns and villages now. ALDI tends to have more house brands so I prefer Lidl, but it is nothing like ALDI in America.

Public transportation varies widely - Germany tends to have some of the best, even in small town Bavaria where we have the RVO bus system. It will get you almost anywhere, but don't expect a bus every few minutes - once every two hours is more the norm.

Euro coins have the same design on the side with the number, but every country has a different design on the 'face'. Same with bills. But they can be used anywhere in the Euro zone. There are eight coins including 1,00 and 2,00 coins. The smallest note is €5. And remember that not all countries are in the Euro zone. If transiting through Switzerland at the airport, for instance, one can pay in Euro instead of Francs.

Generally, we have less 'stuff' in Europe as space is at a premium. Expect busses and metro trains to be crowded and don't expect to have a lot of personal space. (For all the complaints I read here about the WDW bus system....) Cars are much smaller and fewer people own cars. With gas averaging $10/gallon it is expensive to drive. Driving also varies from country to country; in France for instance the rule is right of way on the right, even from a small side road into a larger road (Priorité à droite). Many countries have tolls; some like Austria and Switzerland require a 'vignette' or maut sticker which can be quite expensive as in Switzerland it is only sold yearly while in Austria one can purchase a short term vignette. Fines are high for not having one, and they do check - I was stopped at two in under a week recently.

And the knowledge of English depends on the location. Not all tourist areas are going to be filled with English speaking people. For example, my city does have a small number of English speaking people to serve the English speaking tourists, but they are only found in certain establishments that want to make a profit off tourists......restaurants for example. Even then, the knowledge is limited. Example, you want to come here, so you might just learn "Thank you, please, etc.". That foreigner who can speak English might only know words related to their job such as "I would like, glass, water, fork, etc". Remember that most people who live here (well, my area for example) are majority poor and will NEVER leave their city or even their country. They have no desire to learn a foreign language because it will do them no good. Just as most Americans don't speak anything other than English.

English varies too by country and region. In Germany our television and movies are dubbed so we hear less English in the media; we do hear English in songs on the radio but we also have our local German groups and European groups. I was recently working in an office in Germany where my colleagues would sing along to the radio - they could sing the English words but couldn't always understand the meaning.

In Holland in contrast, they have television and movies subtitled, so they hear more English growing up. Most Dutch speak almost perfect English, with not too much of an accent.

I also am finding that this generation of young people ie 20-25 year olds are not as good in English as my generation. The world is changing and Mandarin, Russian and other languages are seen as 'valuable'. And in the countryside they often really have no use for English at all. Plus migration is more common now from Asia and Africa and central Europe, so there are more people who speak German as a second language, after their own native language, and English is a distant third if at all.

Standing in line is a concept people don't understand here. You can be standing at the counter of McDonald's about to give your order and someone else will come along and push in front of you. You just have to know your order ahead of time, stand very close to the person in front of you (oh, personal space doesn't exist here either , and as soon as the person in front of you is getting change, you MUST begin giving your order forcefully. Italians have no patience and what we take as being rude, they understand it to be acceptable behavior.....like picking noses in public. There is no line. They sort of huddle like you see in the line for Haunted Masion.

And here again a cultural difference! In Germany there are lines - often long lines. I smile when I read the complaints here about the grocery lines. Don't expect a '12 items or less' line, and expect to stand in line for a very long time.

One big difference in Germany to America is that someone may notice your bad behaviour, but never remark on it. For instance, I was waiting to buy Brezels from my favourite seller in Salzburg recently on a Sunday morning; I was next in line but a woman came in from the side, marched up and started asking in English for a tour of the different flavours (didn't even ask if the seller spoke English!) We all stood quietly but there was a collective tensing up, waiting until she picked out her flavours and paid and left. The seller smiled, greeted me, and then served me. Nobody said anything out loud about the line cutter, but they noted it. In Germany we will take note but not say to your face that you were not next in line, etc.

I was next in line but a woman came in from the side, marched up and started asking in English for a tour of the different flavours (didn't even ask if the seller spoke English!) We all stood quietly but there was a collective tensing up, waiting until she picked out her flavours and paid and left. The seller smiled, greeted me, and then served me. Nobody said anything out loud about the line cutter, but they noted it. In Germany we will take note but not say to your face that you were not next in line, etc.

Alas, It's not the same in the States. We have a country full of rude, line cutters. If we kept quiet......we'd never get our turn.

Bad thing though is that they will never, ever forget, even if they never confront you about your 'bad' behaviour. I am still talked about in Bavaria 19 years after I once dared to open a window on a train, subjecting the other passengers to the deadly DRAFT which is feared all across Germany :rotfl:

82 millions Germans fear a draft/breeze ('es zieht!') and I am the only one who finds it warm..........

And here again a cultural difference! In Germany there are lines - often long lines. I smile when I read the complaints here about the grocery lines. Don't expect a '12 items or less' line, and expect to stand in line for a very long time.

One big difference in Germany to America is that someone may notice your bad behaviour, but never remark on it. For instance, I was waiting to buy Brezels from my favourite seller in Salzburg recently on a Sunday morning; I was next in line but a woman came in from the side, marched up and started asking in English for a tour of the different flavours (didn't even ask if the seller spoke English!) We all stood quietly but there was a collective tensing up, waiting until she picked out her flavours and paid and left. The seller smiled, greeted me, and then served me. Nobody said anything out loud about the line cutter, but they noted it. In Germany we will take note but not say to your face that you were not next in line, etc.

I remember being in Rome at a gelato shop. There was not a specific line per say but patrons were being served in order. This loud, brash American lady comes in and says loudly "over here you have to push your way forward". She then started shoving people out of her way until she got to the front, then started barking at the gelato server in English like he was an animal. I was ashamed and embarrassed for her and considered telling everyone on the rest of the trip that I was from Canada!

It's really not difficult to maneuver a foreign country. I love visiting the local bars and cafes. I just stand back....and watch the locals. I try to gauge my actions by them. Usually, it boils down to being respectful and polite.

When we were in Germany, we used to love going out in the afternoon to different konditoreis for coffee and a pastry. I loved European Hot cocoa and cheesecake, nothing like the American stuff. This is the time of year that I start to get homesick.

I love, love, love to travel, and I'm always amazed by the rude travelers who pay no attention to their surroundings (lines, other people, etc.).

Isn't the whole point of traveling to see new surroundings? So, uh, pay attention, folks! ;)

I would suggest doing some reading in advance (forewarned, and all that) and being prepared to walk.

My apologies - I didn't intend for this to become a thread about rude people or rude travellers :sad1:

Every country has its share of rude people, and bad behaviour is not limited by geographical boundaries.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I love the Let's Go guides. We found really cheap lodging through them and they have lots of information that appeals to the 20-something crowd (which I am not anymore, but still . . . . .).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter