what are you putting in your kids Easter Baskets?

I think what you give (or not give) in your Easter basket has changed over time and is also regional. I love in Texas now but grew up in New England and easter baskets are a MUCH BIGGER deal here than I found them to be when we lived up North. :goodvibes Lots of women make and sell easter baskets to make some extra $$$. People do huge, extravagent baskets. Probably cause I was raised with a smaller Easter basket tradition I never got into that for my son, mostly did smaller baskets with candy and maybe a really small toy (dollar store) or two.

My DS is 15 now and in more recent years I have tried to cut down on the candy and instead get him either several little presents or a few bigger ones that I think he'll like. Our whole family is trying to be healthier eaters as my hubby and I are both heavy and my son is not and I hope that he can stay that way so we're trying to do a better job of cleaning up our food acts to set a good example for him. I'll love him no matter what but it is healthier for you to not be heavy....

Anyway here is what he is getting this year:
Some Easter themed mini Snickers bars (his favorite candy)
Noodle Golf Balls and Tees (Noodle is a brand name for you non-golfers)
A $15 doller iTunes card

Total $$$ spent probably about $25. I can't remember how much I paid for the golf balls because I got them a while back on sale. He plays on his high school golf team so gets used balls cheap from the local course they play at (which is really nice of the course). He loves Noodle balls however, thinks they bring him good luck so I try to buy them for him often enough that he has some to play with at tournaments.

This is what I posted on this same thread on the commmunity board!

Let me preface this w/ saying that my DH's motto for me is "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."

Anyway, w/ that being said...

Years ago, instead of baskets, I started putting their Easter goodies in things like new duffel bags or beach bags or storage cubes. This year, their "baskets" will again be the cloth storage cubes from Target.

Inside DD's & older DS's "baskets" - a kite, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, a flower plant kit from Home Depot, a book, a small stuffed rabbit ('cause it's tradition!), summer pajamas, a swimsuit, an inexpensive digital camera from Toys-R-Us, 2 chocolate bunnies, some peeps, and an egg w/ M & Ms

Inside baby DS's "basket" - the same as his older sister & brother, except, instead of the camera, a bubble-blowing toy lawn mower.

DD & older DS are probably a little too old for the bubbles & sidewalk chalk, but I normally put spring-y/outside stuff in their baskets & couldn't really decide what else to include. So I just went ahead & got it more as "fillers" for their baskets. Plus, I admit, I'm having a hard time adjusting to them being "big kids" now.

I may add some flipflops.

I normally do beach towels & sunglasses too, but we've got tons of beach towels now! And they already got some new sunglasses.

DS's basket always has a theme, this year it is Star Wars. Last summer when Target clearance went 75% off I got several cool things for really cheap, so while his basket is going to look HUGE, it really did not cost me that much. He will be getting a double ended lightsaber, some SW action figures, and an unstuffed BABW Star Wars bear. He will also get just a little candy and a new toothbrush (tradition).

I have had so much going on I haven't done much for easter yet other than the chocolate bunny, jelly beans and giant reeses peanut butter cup- but I will be getting her itunes gift card, nintendo d/s or wii game, scratch off lottery tickets and I am not sure what else yet. I cut down on the candy since she really doesn't eat much of it so I will increase the other stuff in the basket!

Easter isn't our BIG holiday. So DS basket is normally minimal...and things he'll play with outside during the spring and summer (bubbles, chalk, sand toys)...as well as a book or two. And he only gets one or two larger gifts from the Easter Bunny.

My kids get candy. I have never heard of presents in the Easter basket anywhere other than the Dis. We also reuse the same baskets every year.

I was born in 1973 and always got presents in my Easter Basket and so did everyone else I knew. Maybe it's a regional thing?? Anyways DD always gets presents in her basket and this year is no exception:

icarly build a bear with icarly outfit, miranda cosgrove's new cd, fantasia (original and 2000 version) 2 dvd set, a $10 free realms online station cash card, lots of chocolate candy and the Easter Bunny will leave about 100 candy filled (1 piece in each) eggs spread across our front and back yard

I was born in 1973 and always got presents in my Easter Basket and so did everyone else I knew. Maybe it's a regional thing?? Anyways DD always gets presents in her basket and this year is no exception:

icarly build a bear with icarly outfit, miranda cosgrove's new cd, fantasia (original and 2000 version) 2 dvd set, a $10 free realms online station cash card, lots of chocolate candy and the Easter Bunny will leave about 100 candy filled (1 piece in each) eggs spread across our front and back yard

:thumbsup2 same age and I remember the same , heck Mom still buys me a goodie , usually a fancy new pair of undies from VS lol . I buy more gifts than candy because ds doesn't eat it.

I had huge Easter baskets as a kid (in the 70's) but mostly candy and plastic eggs, a book, and maybe a small toy. Also, back then we got a new Easter outfit every year.

When my kids were smaller, I always bought the store bought baskets, because that is what they wanted. I hid eggs for them to find, and left the baskets on the front porch. One year I did a scavenger hunt type thing, where some of the hidden eggs had clues as to where to find their baskets. Last year I started customizing the baskets. I'll do the same this year. I do some small toys and their favorite Easter candies. I also fill eggs and still hide them, most have candy but some have money. I don't buy full Easter outfits anymore.

This year, I am getting some of those Disney gift cards from Kroger, and they will be in their baskets, as we will be leaving for Disney right after Easter. They will also get "gift certificates" in the eggs for something while we are on vacation. Something like "your pick of a meal one night during vacation" and "your pick of what to do on a day of vacation."

Well, candy of course.

I ordered a grab bag of 25 from www.mouspinsonline.com and each of them will get a few pins for our 2012 trip.

And each basket will get a $25 Disney gift card-- they'll be seeing those for every occasion for the next year and a half.

Oh, and since my younger daughter is learning to tell time, each of the kids is getting a cheap watch. I'm getting tired of being the only one who can answer the "what time is it" question.

We're going to Disney in July, so I got my daugher, 5, a disney fanny pack, her autograph book, swim suit, disposable camera, and a disney gift card..plus easter candy

My girls are 7 and almost 9, so they get some of the same things.

Frisbees, new sports water bottles, Bath & Body Works shower gels, 1 book each, nail polish, necklace, Webkinz, sunglasses, and swimming goggles. We also hide plastic eggs with starbursts, gum and money.

We are going all out this year for Easter for DS8 and DS5. My son spent a week in the hospital last month (all better now) and missed his Spring break, home repairs replacing our vacation & camp budget this summer, and the dog eating my son's favorite toy are upping the Easter baskets this year.
They are getting:
- a movie (Spiderman TV & Power Rangers for DS5, Megamind Blu/DVD for DS8) ~$35
- a game (deBlob for DS for DS5, Wii Party for DS8) ~$40
- a toy (replacement action figure + a new one for DS5, webkinz rabbit and hamster for DS8) ~$60
- books (2 Easter themed for each) ~$15
- coloring book (easter themed) ~$7
- cheapo Star Wars watches, jump ropes, bubble wand ~$10
- chocolate bunny $6
- peeps $1
- jelly beans $2
- hunt for 80 eggs (40 filled with candy - snickers, skittles, crabby patties; 40 filled with quarters and $1 bills) $30

So yeah their stuff cost around $150 bucks, but cheaper than a week at camp for 1!

My brother and I always got a basket with candy and small gifts back in the '70s. I've always done a basket for my kids and I will as long as they are at home. I don't go overboard and we use the same baskets every year. This year:

DS13(14 next month): 2 Axe body washes, 2 Axe body sprays (great deal at Rite Aid), cover for iPod Touch, chocolate bunny, jelly beans, Easter chocolates.

DD12: razors and shaving cream (she will get to start shaving her legs), cover for iPod Touch, chocolate bunny, jelly beans, Easter chocolates.

When my kids were younger they would get sidewalk chalk, pool toys, flip flops, sunglasses, and other spring/summer items. When they were each in first grade they got their first real Bible.

I was born in the late 60s and also always had small- to medium-sized presents in my Easter basked in addition to candy. We usually had the same baskets year to year, too, unless something was going on (like the year the Easter Bunny brought our goodies in sand pails when we were on vacation - my sisters and I were SO relieved because we were sure that he'd miss us that year since we were away.)

Anyway. This year my daughter will receive a doll bed for her Felicity doll, the latest Tink movie and a bit of candy in eggs (packaging the candy in plastic eggs really makes it go far!). There will be some eggs with tokens to our local arcade/go kart place and some $1 gift "dollars" for Rita's water ice.

My son is receiving a bag for his baseball gear, a one of the Mysterious Benedict Society books, and the candy eggs. His tokens will be to the batting cages and he'll also get some Rita's money.

If I can swing it, I might also buy a couple movie tickets for each of them. Not sure if I can make it, though.

I always got a small gift (a stuffed bunny for sure and Silly Putty!). My single aunt always made us a basket too with clothes and a giant candy egg!
I make a basket for my DD who is 15, DH and our two DDs (DOGS!) It's fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter