What are you putting in the Easter baskets this year?

rluey29

Wish I was in Disney, Hooray, Hooray!!!
I used to buy a different basket every year, but last year I found an Easter basket graveyard in my attic and decided that it was just wasteful. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought two large beautiful square baskets with really tall looped handles. Very whimsical and I decided that we would use these every year.

I didn't want to go overboard on filling them this year either but it still seems like I am. Here's what I have so far and I'd love to hear what you've got as well. I actually thought I wasn't doing that bad until I just now added it up, LOL!! I also bought candy to put in the eggs.

DS8
Leapfrog Didj (9.97 w/coupon)
Didj game (5.00)
Didj carrying case (11.00)
Bolt DVD (8.00)
Lilo & Stitch DVD (8.00)
Book (2.48)
Dark Choc. Bunny (3.50)
Bakugan figurine (1.99)
Bakugan figurine (1.99)
Grow-a-chick (1.00)
Easter Pez (1.33)
Spongebob bubbles (1.00)
12 glow bracelets (1.00)

Total of $56.28

DS2
Thomas the Train set (15.00)
Dora Easter DVD (9.99)
Nick Spring DVD (6.00)
Dora toy (1.00)
Diego bubbles (1.00)
Dark Choc. Bunny (3.50)
Grow-a-bunny (1.00)
book (3.00)
Easter Pez (1.33)
Dora & Blue book set (6.99)
Dora mini doodle pro (4.00)
12 glow bracelets (1.00)

Total of $53.81

My DD is young, not quite 2, so she's gonna get a Eeyore plush, Stitch plush, Thumper plush, and two straw sippy cups with the glitter down at the bottom. I'm still thinking of a few more things. I just don't want to give her candy. It also seems like I'm on the cheap side, but she's just little, so I don't think she'll really "get" it.

(can you tell I raided the Disney store?)

Well you want to talk about cheap.......

DD5
Cinderella Flip Flops $4
Cinderella sunglasses$4
Cinderella bun crown $5.50
Cinderella wash cloth that grows $2.50
Disney Princess activity book $1
Seashell flower necklace $1
Candy

DS2
Stitch Flip Flops $4
Stitch sunglasses $4
Mickey wash cloth that grows $2.50
Power Rangers activity book $1
Speed Racer Car $2.50
Candy

I see people spending a good amount of money on Easter baskets. I was talking to my mom bc I was feeling stressed out as to what to put in the baskets and she said "why do you feel you need to spend so much money"? This is so true. I know when I was little my baskets never cost a lot of money to do nor did my brothers but we were so excited each and every Easter. Sorry If I offended people...................to me I just do not get the high price tags to fill baskets these days. Just my opinion.

Well you want to talk about cheap.......

DD5
Cinderella Flip Flops $4
Cinderella sunglasses$4
Cinderella bun crown $5.50
Cinderella wash cloth that grows $2.50
Disney Princess activity book $1
Seashell flower necklace $1
Candy

DS2
Stitch Flip Flops $4
Stitch sunglasses $4
Mickey wash cloth that grows $2.50
Power Rangers activity book $1
Speed Racer Car $2.50
Candy

I see people spending a good amount of money on Easter baskets. I was talking to my mom bc I was feeling stressed out as to what to put in the baskets and she said "why do you feel you need to spend so much money"? This is so true. I know when I was little my baskets never cost a lot of money to do nor did my brothers but we were so excited each and every Easter. Sorry If I offended people...................to me I just do not get the high price tags to fill baskets these days. Just my opinion.

I don't really get it, either. I think that goes for everything.. heck, the tooth fairy used to give us quarters! Now kids get Nintendo DS's. :confused3 I know my baskets never cost a lot either, and I was happy. Those sound like fun things you put in your kiddos' baskets, I'm sure they'll be very happy. :goodvibes LOL it's not like you put socks and underwear in their baskets!!

I don't really get it, either. I think that goes for everything.. heck, the tooth fairy used to give us quarters! Now kids get Nintendo DS's. :confused3 I know my baskets never cost a lot either, and I was happy. Those sound like fun things you put in your kiddos' baskets, I'm sure they'll be very happy. :goodvibes LOL it's not like you put socks and underwear in their baskets!!

My DS2 would be in awe with what your DD is getting. He is the stuffed animal king. He carries around a puppy of his that Santa brought him for Christmas one year. This puppy is very loved. :rotfl:

My DS2 would be in awe with what your DD is getting. He is the stuffed animal king. He carries around a puppy of his that Santa brought him for Christmas one year. This puppy is very loved. :rotfl:

Awwwwwww! That's adorable!

I just didn't know what to get her, and the Disney store had stuffed animals on sale 2/$20, so I just went with that. And of course, Thumper was $5 with a $25 purchase, so I had to... but then I wasn't at $20 yet, so I bought the two cups. LOL, I kinda felt obligated to, she already put one in her mouth by that point! I wouldn't want some other kiddo to buy that with my DD's slobber on it. It's just hard at this age, like you don't want to do candy, clothes are boring, can't do change because of the choking hazard... so I thought this was a nice compromise. :)

I still haven't started Easter shopping yet either. Now I want to get a bunch of DIsney stuff like you guys did!

I am also wondering when Easter got so extravagant. We only got candy in our baskets, no toys. I tend to do more of the small toys and a few treats as DD gets plenty of candy without the Easter extras! So far I am planning to get:

DD3
Littlest Pet shop animal
Stickers
Bathing suit (for our Cruise!!!)
Candy and change for the piggy bank in Egg hunt
Whatever else cathes my fancy...if I ever get to the store.

PS, i have no Disney store within 4 hours of me....makes me so sad!:sad1:

I still haven't started Easter shopping yet either. Now I want to get a bunch of DIsney stuff like you guys did!

I am also wondering when Easter got so extravagant. We only got candy in our baskets, no toys. I tend to do more of the small toys and a few treats as DD gets plenty of candy without the Easter extras! So far I am planning to get:

DD3
Littlest Pet shop animal
Stickers
Bathing suit (for our Cruise!!!)
Candy and change for the piggy bank in Egg hunt
Whatever else cathes my fancy...if I ever get to the store.

PS, i have no Disney store within 4 hours of me....makes me so sad!:sad1:

Oh no!! No Disney store! I'd cry! :(

That sounds like cute fun stuff. :cloud9:

The last thing we need around here is more toys, and we don't see the sense in spending a lot for minor holidays so we keep it pretty simple. Each of the big kids is getting a new Webkinz, bubbles, and sidewalk chalk, and then we'll split a bag of jelly beans, a package of mini Cream Eggs, and a box of Peeps between the two baskets. The baby is getting a set of bathtub toys and a few packages of finger food snacks in place of candy.

My brother and I had the same baskets all through our growing up years- my brother still has his. i think my Mom might still have mine. ;) She bought really nice baskets and its cool seeing photos of us in jammies when I was like 2 with the same basket I had when I was 15! We generally got candy (chocolate foil covered eggs, jelly beans, a choc bunny, peeps, etc) and a stuffed animal.

My daughter can not eat candy, so I try to pick a few small items that would be fun for her to see, and yet also achieve that specialness that normal snacks would not elicit. It's a balance.
Easter is not a minor holiday for us- I think it's more important that Christmas in many ways- which is why I love it. It's about celebrating Christ's gift to us, having a special dinner together and reading the Story of Easter, and basically spending time with each other.

My daughter will be 3 in April and she will get similar things to what I have done for her before. (not everything below- but these are ideas)
-bubbles
-a book (Christian based and related to Easter)
-stickers (like crosses, sheep, also Easter focused)
-mini play doh jars
-coloring book/crayons
-plush of some sort (maybe a lamb) although she doesnt care a whole lot long term about this, so it could be swapped for something else.
-maybe a t shirt or necklace
-sidewalk chalk

I like to browse our local christian gift/book shop for ideas and I like to keep the focus on why we celebrate Easter.
I also like to keep a bag in my attic of "gifts" this way if I have over bought I just add items to my "bag of gifts" and save it for another time, or perhaps some other child's birthday, etc. OR if I under bought, I go up in the attic to see what I can use from there....samething with keeping spare birthday cards around. Saves me those emergency trips to the store. And if I am ever in need of a really good reward for something I can do that too.
I also like educational stuff since we are still dealing with a little one- things that focus on learning the alphabet, or puzzles, or counting, or dexterity, or music.

In the past we have paticipated in our church's program to collect Easter baskets for foster children and so I often go over the top for the baskets I do for those kids. And because it's thru the church- same thing- they request no candy. I often choose a child similar to my daughter's age so i can take her extras and stuff their basket. I really enjoy doing these up with shrink wrap. I also explain to her why we are buying these toys and who they are for and have her help me put them together, so we talk about other children who don't have a Mommy and Daddy. (keeping the easter bunny a secret is not a priority for me)

I LOVE Easter and I LOVE Spring. This is my favorite time of year.

For my husband I go to Bridgewater Chocolates and buy him a one of a kind chocolate bunny that's as big as my head. I can choose milk, white or dark and all the bunnies are painted in chocolate- also different kinds, I like the ones with spectacles and a sack on their back. I might do a movie, popcorn, or tickets to the movies, a card, a invite to play scrabble later that day, a travel sized game, or frisbee- something to get us outdoors.

When I was past the age of believing in the bunny- my parents used to put out a pretty plant or flowers for me- I loved that.

Mine are getting candy and board games and I am confident that they will be extremely happy with this.

Even though I spent quite a bit on my boy's baskets, I see nothing wrong with doing it cheaply either! Most of the cheap stuff that I find are things that I see as "junk" that my kids would never play with so I'd rather spend more money for stuff that I know would get used.

I have to keep it fairly even too. Even though my kids are 7 years apart, my DS2 will have a cow if he doesn't have the same type of things that his big brother has, LOL. If I only had 1 small kid then I'm sure I would do stuffed animals and sippy cups too!

My mom gave me easter baskets well into my 20's. They almost always contained gifts. I'm a "BIG" gift giver and love all holidays but my kids do know what Easter is celebrated for. I don't believe that gifts have to take away from that fact.

I don't really get it, either. I think that goes for everything.. heck, the tooth fairy used to give us quarters! Now kids get Nintendo DS's. :confused3

Who is this tooth fairy, and where was she when I was a kid!!! :sad2:

it's not like you put socks and underwear in their baskets!!

Um, DSS is getting boxers and DSD is getting socks (both requested, not for Easter specifically but in general). I am trying to focus on things they actually need so that I don't have to lament over the money I wasted a month from now when I am cleaning their rooms. I am looking for ideas for fillers related to (and needed for) our Disney trip (next year). How long will glow necklaces last?

Um, DSS is getting boxers and DSD is getting socks (both requested, not for Easter specifically but in general). I am trying to focus on things they actually need so that I don't have to lament over the money I wasted a month from now when I am cleaning their rooms. I am looking for ideas for fillers related to (and needed for) our Disney trip (next year). How long will glow necklaces last?

But they requested them!! ;) Socks are great when you need and want them!

Glow necklaces, I have no clue.

My 3 get spring/summer related items bubbles, glow sticks, goggles, etc. And some candy and a cool toy they really want, new beach towel, etc. But one cool thing too.

This year I'm looking for beach chairs for our summer vacation...any budget ideas??

Trish

DD's birthday is in November and DH is gone until June, so I'm trying not to be out of control for her basket. I usually try and stock up the year before at the clearance sales, so far I've bought for DD6-

-Disney Princess Polly Pocket Target gift set from last easter $4
-LPS Target gift set from last easter $4
-Toy necklaces/bracelet sets from last easter $1
-Filled eggs (Disney, LPS, MLP) from last easter $10
-Wii Music $33

I still have to find the chocolate bunny, and I really like the ideas of a jump rope, bubbles, and sunglasses for outside play. Grandma's got the Easter dress covered, I guess I'm almost done. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter