What are you making for Christmas 2014?

Trying to perfect a technique of a caramel that stays on the freakin apple! Found a recipe that is absolutely delicious. When it failed to stay on an apple, I made homemade "turtle" candy. Sooooo good, but not what I wanted. I will try a third time cooking the caramel longer.

msmouse said:
Trying to perfect a technique of a caramel that stays on the freakin apple! Found a recipe that is absolutely delicious. When it failed to stay on an apple, I made homemade "turtle" candy. Sooooo good, but not what I wanted. I will try a third time cooking the caramel longer.

I read that make sure you dip it in hot water to get the wax off and even use fine sand paper. I haven't tried it just read it on pinterest.

I'm not really crafty so not making any of my Christmas gifts, except maybe a few ornament crafts with the kiddos & a gingerbread house. :)

As for food...making shrimp scampi for Christmas Eve & Christmas Day is ham & lasagna!

I plan to make a "hug" to put in the in-laws Christmas card. I am going to trace DD's hands and then measure some yarn/ribbon the length of one hand to the next and send them hugs. Easy to do and hopefully appreciated. My MIL and I don't get along though we are both making an effort to at least be civil. And DD needs to have a relationship with them.

Christmas Eve dinner family tradition is sloppy joes and Ballreich potato chips. It costs us a small fortune to order them but you have to have Ballreich or it just isn't the same. Christmas dinner is never the same. We always pick something that we never make like prime rib pasta. Too expensive to make for a normal dinner but not so much for a holiday.

Recipe books for my young adult children :santa:

That sounds wonderful! I want to put one together for my family from our parents. I hope that they appreciate the gift of love that it is. I know a lot of our family recipes died with our parents so I would love a record of what we all collectively know.

I just picked up two dozen mason jars to fill the requests for "Drunkin Gummies" :tilt::tilt:that started coming in a few weeks ago. I made them as gifts last year and now everyone wants in :thumbsup2

Surprisingly enough my family adores fruit cake so I will be baking fruit cakes in the next couple of weeks so it has time for it to mature and the brandy really soak in, I also make a Grand Mariner Orange Cranberry pound cake. My husband and I also cook a massive breakfast for my parents on Christmas morning and the in laws aren't getting anything this year but a visit because in January we are taking them to Disney World for a week at Old Key West Resort and that will be Christmas for them lol.

I also am starting to learn to knit so hopefully I can make stuff for everyone for next year.

I am a Pinterest addict so I always have a million ideas running around there. I saw these and thought they would be nice for grandparents. http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5e/20/2c/5e202cbe489cc851629393cc30ff8160.jpg I would get a glittery pen and write the year on it.

And here are more ornaments I like that:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/-mwBFat4KjZI/TtKHDQqUsaI/AAAAAAAACvU/rFhoUMNrHFc/s1600-h/036%255B9%255D.jpg

http://adiamondinthestuff.com/2011/12/map-ball-ornaments.html

Thank you for posting those! I love them!!

Can we get past Thanksgiving or at least Halloween before we talk Christmas?

Depending upon what you are making it is sometimes necessary to be on it. Isn't started a quilt for my father in law. It is the third gift quilt since June. Our quilt store just had our reindeer dash for just this reason.

Also working on calendars for the grandparents.

Also have a whole booth full of aprons, bags, blankets and Squishies to sell to over people starting the weekend after Halloween. That is just when our band has their huge craft show.

I love the map ball ornaments in the links. It would be a budget twist on a souvenir ornament from family vacations!

I want to make some holiday goodies for DH's co-workers. They really stepped up and covered his job for him while he was out with me in the hospital having surgery. I know I will be making flourless chocolate muffins to send to DH's co-worker who has gluten issues but I'm looking for ideas for the rest of them. I saw this recipe for Bacon Chocolate Bark I am considering.

I am also pondering some kind of chocolate-bacon or maple-bacon combo for DS's 9th birthday cake in October.

This thread reminds me that I saw some glitter covered foam gingerbread men at the Dollar Tree that I meant to buy. I bought some last year. I hole-punched their heads and hung them on my trees. They looked especially good on the white tree in my entry way.

Just fyi, don't make the bacon brittle that is all over Pinterest...not good. However, bacon chocolate chip cookies-DIVINE!

I read that make sure you dip it in hot water to get the wax off and even use fine sand paper. I haven't tried it just read it on pinterest.

washing the day before coating in hot soapy water works, with soft nylon brush

Dinner - Stuff cabbage, mash potatoes, corn, green beans, ham and bread, what ever dessert I feel like making.

Cookies - 5 different kinds, one is always ginger bread

crafts - some years we do them I like the jars with small lights and smelly pine shavings really cool looking.

Party - kids party where we make gingerbread houses.

so far I am crocheting blankets for all 6 of our kids, 5 are adults not living at home so they need grown up blankets...lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter