what are you cooking in your villa?

We did a turkey dinner one time with 6 family members. When we stay at the fort we cook over camp fire.

Just wondering about the grills. They aren't gas, are they? So what do you bring or buy to cook with?

It's been nearly 20 yrs since we last bought charcoal, and it came in a large bag. Plus we used the charcoal lighter fluid, and then that required matches. I'm just wondering if there's something easier (not to mention cheaper & smaller) that everyone's getting for use with these grills.

Thanks for the info!

One of our favorite and really quick and easy meals is hot roast beef/gravy/fresh beefsteak tomato sandwiches on a hoagie roll. Love having a sandwich that's also warm and tasty vs. just cold cuts. We usually have a huge jar of dill pickles, buy the snack packs of Sabra hummus and a big plastic jar of the fat pretzel sticks from Costco and buy bags of apples and the little "cuties" for snacks. We bring popcorn and usually the organic animal crackers, also from Costco. Another favorite dinner is nachos with cheese and ground meat/salsa. It's very filling, warm, and something we'd probably pay a small fortune for in the parks. Breakfast is quick and easy also- bagels or english muffins with peanut butter and jelly or cream cheese and jelly, coffee or milk/juice for the kids, and we're out the door. Love having that full kitchen!

Just wondering about the grills. They aren't gas, are they? So what do you bring or buy to cook with?

We usually pick up charcoal at WalMart (Matchlight, I think) that lights with ease and no lighter fluid. We keep a ligther in our Florida box.

We cook the same meals that we do at home. The Owners Locker allows us to store our supplies and we pick up what we need at Publix or Walmart.

We use the DVC as a true home away from home. If we feel like hanging around the resort, we do. If we want to talk a walk, we might go over to Epcot or take a walk around the lake. No rope drop for us. :goodvibes

:earsboy: Bill

We have a Mickey Mouse waffle Iron and take that with us on our DVC trips.
I usally make a few extra Mickey waffles and put those in a zip lock to eat as snacks during the day. If you use the correct waffle mix they don't need syrup to sweeten them up.

Theo
PS the ears are the best part.

We stayed at Aulani in December in a 2-br; we went to the Safeway and Costco that are less than 10 minutes away. So, all of our meals (with the exception of the day we spent driving the North Shore) were in the villa.

Our dinners were pretty simple, Costco's frozen pizza (cheap but yummy for frozen); we sauteed shrimp with some fresh shallots and had that with pasta; chicken also sauteed with shallots. I always bring a salt shaker with, and the shallots provided the extra flavor we needed. We eat in the villa a lot on Disney trips, but we do it simply. Canned soup, pasta with sauce, chicken....though, on one driving trip to WDW we did bring our bread machine :thumbsup2

Here are some ideas that we've developed over 15 years of cooking at DVC:

Breakfast -- always eat in the room
Coffee
milk & sugar
cereal
eggs, bacon, toast
omelets
peanut butter toast
Juice

Lunch
Sandwich and chips
Lemonade or Juice or Iced Tea

Dinners
Grilled meat, bagged salad, french bread
Pasta and salad with garlic bread
Grilled fish, rice and veggies

Things I buy at the store:
Milk
eggs
butter
bacon
Bread
French bread (for garlic toast or French toast)
cheese (for omelets and sandwiches and salads)
bag of salads
Veggie tray and dip (for snacks, to add to salads, to cook as side veggie)
Fruit tray
chips and dips
Chicken tenders
Beer and wine
Juice
Meat and fish for grilling

In Orlando, I have an Owner's Locker stocked with oil and vinegar, spaghettii sauce, pasta, spices, peanut butter, Tuna, Tuna Helper, and Jambalaya Mix with a cans of shrimp and chicken. I grab a few ketchup and mayo packets when we are out to eat.

In Hawaii, I'd definitely bring along some of my favorite spices to pair with all that fabulous Hawaiian seafood!

Hope this helps!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glad I saw this thread, we have always just done breakfast, but have talked about doing a couple dinners next trip.

do you bring spices and such from home or just buy new?
Wondering about stuff like garlic powder, salt, pepper, etc :confused3

I use a 7 day travel pill case and put my spices in it instead. then label the top with the spice. No need to spend the extra bucks on new spice bottles you'll never use in a week!

do you bring spices and such from home or just buy new?
Wondering about stuff like garlic powder, salt, pepper, etc :confused3

I brought them on our vacation last year for the first time and it worked out quite nicely because it can get kind of expensive buying spices. I make jewelry so I have these little zip lock type bags that are about 2" X 3". I filled them with my no salt seasoning, Montreal Steak Seasoning, Italian, coarse sea salt, Mrs. Dash, cajun, dried onion, etc. and marked them with a Sharpie! This worked really well and took up hardly any space in our suitcase! :thumbsup2 I am definitely bringing them again this year!

I brought them on our vacation last year for the first time and it worked out quite nicely because it can get kind of expensive buying spices. I make jewelry so I have these little zip lock type bags that are about 2" X 3". I filled them with my no salt seasoning, Montreal Steak Seasoning, Italian, coarse sea salt, Mrs. Dash, cajun, dried onion, etc. and marked them with a Sharpie! This worked really well and took up hardly any space in our suitcase! :thumbsup2 I am definitely bringing them again this year!

DH uses these type little zip lock bags for his pills when we travel. We get them at Walmart in the Rx area. They work great for any "little" things. Using them for spices is a great idea!! Put all the little bags in a larger zip lock and you have a travel spice rack.

I use a 7 day travel pill case and put my spices in it instead. then label the top with the spice. No need to spend the extra bucks on new spice bottles you'll never use in a week!

Great minds think alike! I use old prescription containers for the same purpose!! Lids don't open easily, easy to label. Keep them in my OL.

I've done everything from a 5 course dinner (sister's 25th anniversary) to omlettes cooked to order ...

Cooking is a joy for me and I love to cook for others.

We usually get cold cuts for sandwiches, eggs and such for breakfast and plan one night at 'home', for a full meal (London Broil, chicken, pasta).

Spices and cooking equipment are kept in my owner's locker. It is great to pre-measure items to bake and assemble in the room.

The grill at THV is a plus!! Haven't found a Publix (???), but usually shop at Winn Dixie or Walmart (produce isn't so good though).

If you have found the outlet mall that is just on the other side of I4, then you have been right there at the Publix. It is very nice, big, bright and has a great produce section. I would go there before that Winn Dixie any day of the week.

If you have found the outlet mall that is just on the other side of I4, then you have been right there at the Publix. It is very nice, big, bright and has a great produce section. I would go there before that Winn Dixie any day of the week.

Great news about the produce. Thanks. We will certainly go there this time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter