What Are We Allowed To Bring Back

ESSEX

Earning My Ears
ITS OUR FIRST TIME.TO WDW.HAVE SEEN SOMETHING ABOUT ALLOWANCES.NOT SURE WHAT THEY ARE.PS YOU WILL NOT BE SURPRISED TO KNOW I AM A NOVICE AT THE PC AS WELL PLEASE WILL SOMEONE TAKE PITY ON ME:wave: :wave:

Hi Essex :wave: and welcome to the DIS!

I don't know about alcohol / tobacco allowances, but I believe the maximum of 'other goods' (i.e shopping items such as clothes, jewellery, souvenirs, etc.) is to a value of £150.

Hi Essex :) :) !!!

Welcome to the Dis! The allowance of £145 ( hey Hilary! What's £5 between friends :teeth: ?) is per person and refers to the value of new goods you are allowed before tax to bring back to UK.

Don't worry about being new! Just pull up a chair and fire away with any questions you have :)

THANKS TO HILARY. SHIRLEY FOR THE HELP. AND HI TO KAYLEE FOR THE WELCOME NOTE,DOES THIS MEAN IF I BUY CLOTHS TO WEAR OUT THERE .THAT THESE ARE ALL PART OF MY ALLOWANCE:wave: :wave:

Hi Essex,

While I'm no expert on customs & excise, I think it does include any clothes you buy out there - whether you wear them over there before you bring them back or not.

I haven't been stopped by customs so I don't know how tough they are - but I have wondered how they would know whether or not you had bought the clothes on this particular trip.

Julie

Is that all you're allowed to bring back? £145 worth?

I didn't know that. Last time, we only went over with a few t shirts and shorts and bought everything over there (probably near the £1000 mark.) But we just took off all the tags (wore most of it out there anyway) and if we got stopped, they'd have no way of telling it was new anyway!:p

Welcome to the Internet Essex. One bit of Netiquette for you before I put in my tuppence worth against your question - typing in capitals means you are SHOUTING! So, disengage the Caps Lock and have fun.

As regards what you are allowed to bring back, I get the impression that customs and excise are more interested in grabbing excess booze, tobacco and drugs.

On one of my first trips I was stopped by customs and asked if I had exceeded my allocation. I enquired what it was and was told how many fags and how much booze I could bring in. I told them I don't smoke and don't drink and was not bringing any such items in (which was the truth). He then asked about "other items". The limit at the time was £35 (only ten years ago). I looked him in the eye and said "I've just come back from Disney World. Of course I have more than £35 of things".

He asked what sort of things and I told him "tourist things - stuffed toys, souvenirs, t-shirts and the like”. He nodded then waved me straight through with no problems. Honesty works sometimes!

As long as you don’t go stupidly overboard I think you do not need to worry too much about “other items”. If you get caught with extra booze and fags, then that is a different matter. Regarding clothing being part of your allocation, it would be too much trouble to prove the new shirt you are wearing came from Florida. They will be more interested in spending time getting the high profile busts.

Anyway, have a great time a Disney World.

Mike

Apologies, I did not intend to use a word that was post watershed. You will be happy to know that the moderators have also slapped my wrists.

I have now edited it to be more Teletubby friendly.

barnum 42

No need to apologise to me, but thank you for editing your post.

Reads much better , doesn't it?

mike230652

Thanks for all the help and advice, will keep it in mind when we are out there in 11days.Hope to come back with a glowing report and i am sure it will be if all what you say is true.which i have no doubt is.i have started to count the hours now:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I always bring back tons of stuff and I have never been stopped even though I look like I'm on my knees with the weight of everything!
Just like to say welcome to you Essex, not long now until going to THE best place in the world.
Hey Barnum, whereabouts are you in the South West??
Lin xxxxxx

Essex - I'm not far behind you. Nineteen days and counting!

Linclaire - I'm in Bristol

We're Florida veterans in our house and up until last October never gave it a thought as to how much $ / £ worth of goodies we were bringing back. Because we didn't buy tobacco nor were we over our quota in booze, didn't realise everything else we bought could have been a problem . . . .

Until we were brought back down to earth with a bang whilst over in the Florida Keys and had internet access.

Someone on the boards had posted - while we were away - that they had been stopped by Customs and had over £500 quids worth of extra on top of their allowance - each I think. The option from C&E was to have the lot confiscated, or pay for it all and this means not only do you have to pay tax on what you have extra, but on the WHOLE amount:eek: :(

So, there we were the night before flying home completely re-arranging our luggage. Given we'd bought loads of Xmas presents, we took all the labels off (wasn't as if we could easily exchange any of the clothes, was it ;)) t-shirts were all worn, jewellery "dulled" down - looking back I know if we'd have been stopped the customs people know what's new and wot's not:o

I think what was scary were the things we hadn't even considered including in our allowance . . . like developed photos/photos we'd bought on rides in the parks/souvenir cups and mugs for DD etc etc.

I'm not going to worry this year and everything will be crammed into the three suitcases we'll be taking. Although they go out not even half full, they come back bulging, but half the battle is not to go out with 3 suitcases and come back with 6 - that may kind of give the game away, especially if there's only 2/3 of you:D

:D PS, Essex - so sorry, meant to say in my post above

WELCOME :cool:

Thanx to Hilary for the info managed it 2nd time hope you get yours sorted:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter