What are the rules and guidelines on banking points

disneyfan77

Earning My Ears
I am considering buying into DVC through a resale agent and I still have some unanswered questions and I'm tired of dealing with sales people. Please Help Me!!!!

1.) If I don't use my points how do they carry over via "banking" and when, if ever, do I lose them?

2.) How do you exchange points and what is renting (I assumed it's use of the points for that year, but not sure)?

3.) With Disney's right of first refusal what can I expect to be a reasonable price for OKW, Beach Club, Wilderness or Boardwalk?

And Finally...

4.) My wife and I are spur of the moment people and have planned our most recent disney vacation about a month and a half in advance. What kind of results do you see when attempting to book any resort roughly 2-3 months prior to your vacation?

Thanks!:wave2:

1.) If I don't use my points how do they carry over via "banking" and when, if ever, do I lose them?

You can bank points at any time prior to the last 2 months of your use year. If you bank by 6 months before your use year date, you can bank 100% of your points. Three months from your use year, you can bank up to 50% of your points, and in the 10th month of your use year, you can bank up to 25% of your total. All points banked must be used in the following year (the year they were banked into)

2.) How do you exchange points and what is renting (I assumed it's use of the points for that year, but not sure)?

I assume your are talking about doing an exchange to a different timeshare? This is done through II, and there is an exchange fee charged when they find a match for your intended exchange. If you want to rent points out, you will need to talk to someone who is more familiar with that, as I have not done it.

3.) With Disney's right of first refusal what can I expect to be a reasonable price for OKW, Beach Club, Wilderness or Boardwalk?

No experience here either.

And Finally...

4.) My wife and I are spur of the moment people and have planned our most recent disney vacation about a month and a half in advance. What kind of results do you see when attempting to book any resort roughly 2-3 months prior to your vacation?

It is certainly doable, but not the best plan during seasons that are low in points, since that is when many DVC owners travel to conserve points. If you don't care which resort you stay at, it shouldn't be a huge problem unless you are talking about the holidays or October and early December.

Ive booked last minute and have always found something available. However, that might be a normal Disney hotel room, not a DVC studio or condo. Obviously, this could use significantly more points.

As for your banking question, it gets much easier after you've done it a few times. Just always remember to book them ahead of time. If you decide you need some of the points back, you can always borrow and equal amount from the next year.

First understand that a use year is not the same as a calendar year that goes from Jan 1 to Dec 31 every year such as 2004 does.

Use years go from your use year month for the next 12 months. For example if you owned a June use year, then your "year" goes from Jun 1st every year to the following May 31st.

Using a June UY as an example, your 'vacation date' years would be as follows:

<b>year.....Vacation Dates</b>
2003.....Jun 1, 2003 through May 31, 2004
2004.....Jun 1, 2004 through May 31, 2005
2005.....Jun 1, 2005 through May 31, 2006
2006.....Jun 1, 2006 through May 31, 2007
2007.....Jun 1, 2007 through May 31, 2008

and so on.

You may bank points from any one use year to the following use year. You may borrow points from any use year into a preceeding year.

You may bank up to 100% of your points within the first 6-months of your use year. You may bank (or have banked), up to 50% of your points at 7months through 9 months, and you may bank (or have banked) up to 25% through 10 months. You may not bank any points in the 11th or 12th months.

IMPORTANT: Keep in mind these are cumulative totals. Example, you own 200 points and have a June use year. Prior to Nov 30 (your 100% window), you bank 100 points. Then a month later, December, you want to bank some more. You cannot. You are in your 50% window and you already have 50% of your 200 point total allotment already banked, so you cannot bank any more.

Another example: You own 200 points. You bank 75 points in your regular 6-month 100% window. You now get into your 50% window and want to bank more points. You can bank 25 points which brings your total banked points to 100 which is 50% of your allocation. If these were 2004 year points then you would have 100 2004 year points that could not be banked and would have to be used by the end of the use year or they would be lost. If this is a June UY, then those 100 points would have to be used prior to May 21, 2005.

Final example: you own 200 points. You bank all 200 points during your 6-month banking window. All 200 points are now in the next use year.

What if you banked your points and then decided to go after all. Can you get them back out, or must you wait until the next year?

Then you borrow points from next year and use your banked points during that year instead. You can't "unbank" your points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter