What are the odds of a hurricane in mid October?

Hurricane Wilma literally ripped into Cozumel on October 21, 2005 packing 140 mph winds and then turned back towards Florida.

We sailed over Thanksgiving in 2005, Cozumel was not a port option for a long time, DCL went to Costa Maya instead.

We sailed last year just after Hurricane Sandy (on another cruiseline who decided to delay their ship by a day). Instead of boarding the ship on Saturday, we boarded the ship on Sunday and had to get a hotel room (and food) for Saturday. Our trip insuranced covered our 1 night stay at the Poly plus breakfast at Olivia's and dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe (a nice mini vacation before our cruise).

I think what they are trying to say... If you still choose to board the cruise and you have a lousy time because of 30 foot waves, somewhat like the Sandy cruisers experienced, no travel insurance that I know will reimburse you for the cost of the cruise. I am wondering that if you get to the dock and choose not to board because a hurricane is bearing down on Port Canaveral, can you get reimbursed for the full cost of the cruise?

I think what they are trying to say... If you still choose to board the cruise and you have a lousy time because of 30 foot waves, somewhat like the Sandy cruisers experienced, no travel insurance that I know will reimburse you for the cost of the cruise. I am wondering that if you get to the dock and choose not to board because a hurricane is bearing down on Port Canaveral, can you get reimbursed for the full cost of the cruise?

I don't know but if you take the Disney cruise you get a full credit regardless of the reason you cancel. That's why we used them instead of something cheaper.

DisneyDoc5 said:
We were on the Fantasy during Hurricane Sandy cruise, I am just honestly telling you, I will not cruise during hurricane season again. Simply stated, it was terrifying. There are threads that discuss details if you want them. Please no flames, this is just my opinion and what we need to do to get on a cruise again (which we love).

I don't need any snarky remarks (sorry if I sound defensive, but many of us that shared our experiences on the Fantasy got beat up here on the boards) about odds of hurricanes, I know odds, or I wouldn't have put my family on a cruise ship, we just didn't win with our odds, and I am not taking that risk again during hurricane season. We will choose to cruise outside of hurricane season, if anything, for a peace of mind.

I am not blaming Disney, it was mother nature, perhaps human miscalculation, but regardless, we got home safe. I am sure we would never have a repeat performance like the one Sandy gave us, but I am not taking chances with October again. I am sure I would feel differently had we not had that experience.

Best wishes on you cruise!:beach:

Geez. I don't blame you at all. I've read some of those threads and i would've been terrified, too.

I was also on the October 20 Fantasy sailing which encountered Hurricane Sandy. The caribbean was clear when we left. Upon leaving St. Thomas we were informed of then Tropical Storm Sandy. Our last night of the cruise was October 26 and that was the night we experienced VIOLENT seas. I would still go in October anytime!!!

It won't help with the rough weather on the ship but people recommend it because of delays or even wrecked luggage. In the past, ships have docked at other ports, luggage has been destroyed by severed wind or rain, you may need to change travel dates or methods all of which will cost money.

If you're flying in the day before the cruise and suddenly all flights are cancelled due to a hurricane - the ship may sail without you but at least you could be reimbursed the cost of the cruise so you won't be out thousands of dollars.

It was our first cruise ever. We didn't make any ports of call either because of wind or because once the storm had passed, the docks had been damaged.

Having said all that, we had a great time, didn't get sea sick and are booked for our second cruise next Summer:beach:

Hurricane Wilma literally ripped into Cozumel on October 21, 2005 packing 140 mph winds and then turned back towards Florida.

We sailed over Thanksgiving in 2005, Cozumel was not a port option for a long time, DCL went to Costa Maya instead.

I will be on the Wonder (Western Itinerary) during this time frame. I've been pondering insurance, but I think it is in my best interest to be safe than sorry!

We were on the Fantasy during hurricane Sandy last October. Yes, I can say it was definitely an experience!

The captain and crew, did the best job possible-under the circumstances. As for sailing into the hurricane, we were far enough behind it, until it stalled-no one could have ever predicted that. So for those that think the captain didn't care-trust me he did! I am certainly glad we had the most experienced captain that Disney Cruise Line has.

Would I sail again, in a heartbeat. In fact I just booked the 5-night on the Magic for October 20th. (The same week, as the Fantasy cruise last year.)

You take your chances, no matter where and when you travel. And I should know I was also in Disney during hurricane Francis back a few years ago-that hasn't stopped me from going to Disney World and neither has hurricane Sandy changed my mind about cruising.

We, too, were on the Sandy cruise last October on the Disney Fantasy. I agree that the Captain and crew did the best job they could do under the circumstances. Our next cruise is June 2014. We love cruising and Hurricanes won't stop us from cruising again.

I was also on the October 20 Fantasy sailing which encountered Hurricane Sandy. The caribbean was clear when we left. Upon leaving St. Thomas we were informed of then Tropical Storm Sandy. Our last night of the cruise was October 26 and that was the night we experienced VIOLENT seas. I would still go in October anytime!!!

It is true! I thought for sure that if there was a hurricane, we would know about it before we left, and we could use our trip insurance to cancel and do WDW instead. We check diligently every day leading up to our cruise. My DH is a hobbyist hurricane tracker, and he knew nothing about it.

I played ostrich, and when I heard a brief news report that Tropical Storm Sandy was hitting Jamaica (I think) that it was no big deal. Then it obviously turned into a big deal.

I'll never cruise again. I had a terrible, admittedly probably isolated, experience, but I ALWAYS tell folk that I would recommend NOT booking during hurricane season.

I convinced myself it would be fine: It was cheaper, It was still warm out in the Caribbean, everyone told me that the Captain would just navigate the ship around the rough weather, It was unlikely that we would have a hurricane in the first place, and we got trip insurance just in case. We STILL got nailed! Never ever again. I would avoid hurricane season like the plague.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter