What are the not to be missed places in the Keys and the everglades?

tony64

<font color=blue>Should've been a Cowboy<br><font
We are planning on staying in Key Largo for a week next November and I was wondering if any of you have stayed in the area and can tell me the things we must see?
I'm hoping to have 3-4 days exploring the various keys and 3-4 for days in the everglades.
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Been several years since we've been to the keys but I have good memories of these places. Been to the keys 4 or 5 times - love it.

Mrs Mac's key largo - eaten there a few times. Not fancy but unique - has beer bottles all around.

Harriette's key largo - does a great breakfast

John Pennecamp state park - key largo - we enjoyed a glass bottom boat tour there.

Further down - I remember key lime pie at Manny and isa's at Islamorada (award winning) and the No name pub, big pine key where you put a signed dollar bill on the wall.

Also the drive down the keys is spectacular - the seven mile bridge.

Key West - well worth staying a night ot two so you can enjoy a night out there. There is the sunset Celebration at mallory square and sculptures of historical key west figures. We've always walked or driven but there is a little train you can hop on and off at the key points like the southernmost point.

If you are a shopper the outlets on the way from Miami to key Largo used to be quiet and have great bargains.

Only been to Key West twice on cruises. Enjoyed both our visits, 1st time did the train tour, 2nd time did some Geocaching then I sat in the Hog's Breath bar for a few hours while Karen and Matt went back to the ship to watch a movie, great few hours there listening to the live band and people watching while having a beer and having chickens running around.
Hog Cam at Hog's breath.
http://www.floridakeyswebcams.tv/hogcam/

More cams here http://www.floridakeyswebcams.tv/

Agree with Wayne on Mrs Macs:thumbsup2

It was a few years since we were there (2004) but here a couple of things to consider.

We stayed at the Howard Johnstone in Key Largo which was ok but the best thing was there was a natural spring outlet into the sea and Manatees would come by to drink the water. We saw and swam with them a couple of times. The first time one appreared right by me I almost had a heart attack, I thought it was a shark for a second. They are great creatures but it is illegal to touch them.

We hired a glass bottomed boat and skipper at Duck Key Marina and went out snorkelling. She also supplied SCUBA gear for me and SNUBA for the kids, its like snorkelling but you have a regulator on a hose connected back to the boat so you don't need to worry about breathing in water etc.

In Key West the Mel Fisher museum is great. Mel Fisher was a treasure hunter and he found a sunken Spanish Treasure Galleon, mainly silver, some gold and Emeralds. You can even pick up a gold bar to feel the weight of it.

If you are doing the Everglades, you might want to consider Shark Valley Visitor Center. They have cut a road out of the swamps which is a loop. You can either walk, hire bikes (best) or take a tram. We saw Alligators, Turtles, Snakes, fish, birds, insects.

Hope you have a great time.:thumbsup2

Its been a few years since I visited the keys but the last time I went we stayed at Marathon Key and visited the Dolphin Research Center at Marathon and swam with the dolphins. It is a more natural setting for a dolphin swim and they were a not for profit organisation who did a lot of work with autisic/handicapped children.

Thanks for all the advice, we are really looking forward to seeing a different side of Florida. :)

It's been many years since we did the Keys but have to agree with some of the suggestions so far - we had a wonderful snorkelling trip from John Pennecamp State Park and also sunset at Mallory Square is not to be missed - they also do sunset cruises . Also make sure you have a drink at Sloppy Joes.

We are planning on a trip to the Everglades next year and last time we went we did an air boat ride and visited some of the state parks. Some friends of ours did a wonderful cycling trail in Alligator Alley and saw some great wildlife so that is on our list of must dos next year.

Whatever you do I am sure it will be an amazing time

Tam

let us know when you've finalised your dates, we might see you there. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter