• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are the must-do's for two adults in The Carolinas?

I believe you are thinking NC is smaller than it really is :goodvibes The outer banks is truly awesome - our son lives next to The Wright Memorial (Kitty Hawk) and the ocean is truly beautiful there. Also, the Smoky Mtns. National Park on the western end is gorgeous, so this state has a little of everything :thumbsup2 Have a great trip!! Oh, and Cape Hatteras is a nice lighthouse that you can go up in and the view is awesome ;)

I agree with many of the previous posters...Asheville is fabulous!

Driving times....Asheville to Charleston 5+ hours, Asheville to Hilton Head 6.5+ hours. There will be traffic going into both places, especially Hilton Head in the thick of summer. Also, accommodations at Disney's Hilton Head Island resort can be hard to get during the summer, but it is an amazing resort.

If it were me, I would suggest what several others have suggested....Fly into Greenville. Drive to Asheville and spend a few days. The Biltmore Estate can take a full day to see the house, gardens, winery and have a meal at one of the wonderful restaurants on property ( Cedric's Tavern is one of my personal favorites.)

Leave Asheville and drive to either Charleston or Hilton Head. Both are easy drives from Asheville basically straight down I-26 until you reach I-95.

There is much to do in the Charleston and Hilton Head areas. Charleston is a gorgeous city and Savannah is only 45-60 minutes from Hilton Head.

Have fun!

Linda

Yep! Flying into GSP gives you the most flexibility to see both states. I agree with the posters who said skip Myrtle Beach. Chucktown and HHI are so much nicer!

Local/regional foods or drinks to try: Lexington (pork) BBQ, grits, livermush, Sundrop (soft drink), Cheerwine (soft drink), Deluxe Ice Cream, Krispy Kreme doughnuts. I'm sure I've missed some. Any more ideas from fellow Tarheels?

Boiled Peanuts!!!

And I know Georgia is the Peach state but I swear fresh Carolina peaches are better!

Biltmore is fantastic! I would definately recommend. Amazing mountain views and the house/grounds are beautiful.

Also, Outer Banks in NC has gorgeous beaches.

I'm in Atlanta, and Biltmore is a 3 hour drive from me while Outer Banks is 10. So, not close to each other at all.

I would try to be at the beach on the 4th. The fire works over the ocean are great. You need to be getting reservations........the 4th is a busy time. Blowing Rock is also a mountain destination and the mountains will not be as humid. Maybe you could fly into RDU. Hit 40E and go to Willmington, Wrightsville beach. Will take you about 2+ hours and then come back through 40w to the mountains. You are talking a 6-7 hour drive to Asheville and then back to Raleigh 4+ hours to leave.

Ok we are meeting this morning to start the planning! My fear is I've got too much on my list now! Maybe someone can help me narrow this down... here's what I have so far that I want to do (and I haven't even seen her list yet! LOL)

1. Asheville - I mostly want to go here for Biltmore Estates. Is it worth taking the time for this if we are also going to Boone Hall Plantation? And is there anything else in Asheville that we just can't miss?

2. Blowing Rock - this looks so beautiful and I would love to go here - if time allows!!

2a. Near Blowing Rock - Mystery Hill and Grandfather Mountain - are these worth the time? Could we do these and Blowing Rock all in one day?

3. Charleston - well, I've got a HUGE list (thanks to you guys) of things that sound like fun here, including Boone Hall Plantation!

4. Outer Banks - I don't know much about this area but you guys do have me intrigued! Then again, I could get my beach fix at Folly Beach near Charleston and we could cut down on traveling, yes?

5. Fireworks on a beach - if we travel Saturday to Saturday (I am only assuming we will but I'm not sure), how could we plan our itinerary so that we are on a beach mid-week? Would that create too much travel and too little "tourist time?" Perhaps We should be in Charleston and go to Folly Beach? Do they have fireworks there?

Thanks again for all the help! I love you guys!! :cloud9:

If I had to pick 3 must do's:

1) Charleston

2) Asheville

3) beach other than Myrtle - I like the Beaufort, NC idea. You could do the beach at Atlantic Beach/Morehead City/Pineknoll Shores. Take a boat to Shackleford Banks to see the horses and visit the lighthouse. There is a nice aquarium and a restored Civil War fort in the area. It's also close to the Cedar Island ferry to Ocracoke if you were headed to the Outer Banks.

You may also want to look at the Wilmington area. It's a great small city and the area beaches (Wrightsville, Carolina, Brunswick County, Topsail) are usually pretty relaxed and clean.

If a beach with non-stop activities, nightlife and lots of shopping is what you had in mind, then absolutely go to North Myrtle.

Another idea is to do the BBQ tour. NC has 2 very distinct styles of pork BBQ, eastern NC style (the best found in Wilson, Greenville, Goldsboro, Ayden) and Lexington style. SC has a very different take on it. Southern Living has done multiple articles and I think the News and Observer newspaper actually had a map with a story once or twice.

It will be hot. Have fun planning.

HamTown already wrote exactly what I was going to post.:thumbsup2

If you fly into Greenville and go straight to your mountain destination. Looks like Asheville will be closer for a couple of days and then head to Charleston. I would head out on monday or early tuesday. Holiday travel can be heavy and then you would be somewhere on the 4th with 3 days to do stuff in Charleston. Good luck. I'm actually the one for Blowing Rock and Wrightsville Beach, but Asheville and Charleston makes more sense. Outer Banks just puts more travel time on an already short visit.

Luv2Scrap,

The answer to your question about it being worthwhile to come to Asheville to see Biltmore if you are planning on doing the Boone Plantation is a resounding

YES!!!!!

Biltmore is incredible, and worth seeing. It is the largest private home in the U.S. and is still owned and managed by the Vanderbilt family. During your visit you will explore the opulence of the living areas as well as many of the servants quarters, kitchens, etc. If you are a fan of or watched 'Downton Abbey' on PBS, visiting Biltmore is the closest you will come here in the U.S. If you rent the audio tour you will get insight in the form of quotes by family members and guests who visited during the time that George and Edith Vanderbilt lived in the home.

I will be more than happy to keep sharing bits of trivia about the Estate if you want to know. LOL.

Linda

Mountains are beautiful. Blue Ridge Parkway for a picnic. Or if you go to Asheville - Biltmore House. NC Transportation Museum in Spencer if you are in to trains. Lots of old trains on display.

Barbecue in Lexington if you can. :) Pork of course. Oh and sweet tea. Grits at a local place! Golf in Pinehurst. Wilmington - USS North Carolina tour. Pork Chop Sandwich at the Snappy Lunch in Mount Airy if you're in to Andy Griffith show. Old Salem if you're in the Winston Salem area.
Saying "the mountains" is too broad an area. If you want to hike, consider Cashiers or the Great Smokies National Park (the only national park in the Carolinas). I'd lean towards the park because you can see Cades Cove, an old mountain village. Plus plenty of wildlife. The national park charges no entry fee, and you'll find plenty of hotels in the general area, though they'll all be rather humble in status.

Grandfather Mountain is another fun place. The "mile high swinging bridge" is one of a kind, and the bears are fun.

You can find plenty of places in the NC mountains to go white water rafting.

And Biltmore House is a great place to visit. Do not go on July 4th -- it's always crowded on holidays and weekends. Definitely do the servants' quarters tour; I find it more interesting than the upstairs. They also have a winery on the grounds, so if you're into that kind of thing you can attend a tasting.

If you can only eat BBQ in one place, make it Lexington BBQ -- that's the name of the place, not a description. It's just off the interstate, and the driveway's a bit confusing. You might end up driving past it. It's worth the effort. We've driven more than an hour JUST to eat there. Don't go expecting fancy: It's kind of an old building that "evolved". You're going for the food. 2nd best BBQ in the Carolinas: Gary's BBQ in Kannapolis. Try the BBQ Salad with Thousand Island dressing.

Also, mid-state, look into the Hiddenite gem mine. It's not a big tourist attraction, but it's fun. You can mine for gems -- emeralds are the thing everyone hopes to find. You will get DIRTY, so bring along a change of clothes. It's cheap, and you're guaranteed to come home with a jarful of something.

The USS Wilmington is interesting. And it'll put you near Wrightsville or Carolina Beaches. Fort Fisher is an old Civil War fort, and there's an aquarium nearby.

Much farther north in NC, the Outer Banks are full of history. In the summer they put on an outdoor drama about the Lost Colony, which I like a great deal. Also you can see Kitty Hawk (which is why our license plates say First in Flight) and the Elizabethian Gardens.
. . . We live in Minnesota, which appears to be bigger than North and South Carolina together, so we are confident that this is do-able. So far the only requirement is the city we fly into has to be a city that Southwest services since I have tons of points to cover our flight. From what I can tell, this narrows down our arrival/departure to: Raleigh/Durham, Greenville/Spartanburg, and Charleston.

Does anyone know if it's possible to rent a car at an airport in one city and drop it off a week later at a different airport? We aren't sure if we have to fly in and out of the same airport when renting a car...
I have never been to Minesota, but I think you're underestimating the size of the two Carolinas. NC is a loooooong state; it'd take you an entire day to drive from the mountains to the Outer Banks. We have good roads and (except for Charlotte and the Raleigh/Triangle area at rush hour) our traffic isn't nearly what some states have; still, you're going to have to pick and choose.

Since you mentioned the mountains and Southern archetecture, I'd suggest that you hit the mountains and the Charleston area -- those two things are do-able. More really isn't. As you develop your plans, I suggest that you plan it out on Google maps. That'll give you a realistic idea of what you can drive/do in one week.

Yeah, Southwest Air limits your exposure to the Carolinas. It's US Air country here. One hint: The Charlotte airport is always the most expensive.

Yes, you can rent a car in one place and return it to another location. IF your budget is big. You will pay, pay, pay for this option. But do check into the cost; it might be worth it to you.
I dont know anything about flying, but Charleston, SC and Myrtle Beach are my absolute 2 favorite cities! There is the Boone Hall Plantation right outside Charleston, the Provost Dungeon, Daughters of the Confederacy, Patriots Point, Dolphin Tours, Folly Beach. Some of our fav places to eat are Poogans Porch on Queen Street...its an old haunted house, with some of the best low country cuisine you will ever taste! Try the alligator bites, they are delish! For BBQ, we always go to Sticky Fingers. The original Sticky Fingers is in Mount Pleasant, close to Patriots Point (near Charleston), but we always go to the one in Myrtle Beach near the mall. DH loves Bubba Gumps also. In Myrtle Beach, we love just relaxing on the beach, but we also shop some at Broadway at the Beach, and Barefoot Landing. Our favorite pizza place in MB is Pizza Ala Roma on 4th Street on HWY 17. Its true authentic Italian food....oh so good!! There is so much to do in MB, you will love it! Have a great trip, wherever you end up!
If you want to see Southern architecture, Charleston is a great choice. Savannah is also a great choice. Charleston offers a view of the city life PLUS the plantations, which are only 20-30 minutes outside the city, whereas Savannah is primarily a city-dwellers choice. Expect significant parking troubles in either of these old cities. If you go to Savannah, you must eat at Lady & Sons, Paula Deen's restaurant. In either city you'll practically trip over delicious food; it's everywhere.

If you could go back in history 200 years, you'd see that SC was made up of plantations, aristocratic planter families, and slaves. In contrast, NC was populated by poor farmers working their own land. Thus, SC is the place to see old plantations. The old, old farmhouses in NC didn't stand the test of time.

I agree with visiting Boone Plantation in Charleston. It's a fascinating view of the Civil war era plantation, and it's unique in that a few slave houses are still intact. You see, Boone plantation made its money from both crops and brickmaking. Thus, you'll see more brickwork (fence, slave quarters) than you would on most plantations, and -- as a result -- more has lasted into this century. It's also the place where the mini-series The North and The South was filmed, and you'll recognize the long, live-oak lined drive as the approach to Tara in the film Gone with the Wind.

Charleston is also a great place for the grits that someone else mentioned previously. Shrimp and Grits was a fashionable dish maybe a decade ago, but outside of Charleston and Savannah I haven't seen it on a menu in a long time. I'd skip both Sticky Fingers and Bubba Gump's Shrimp; those are both chains. In Charleston you can do much better.

If you want to see a poor man's homestead, the place I'd recommend in NC is Morrow Mountain State Park. A doctor and his family lived there around the civil war. You can see his rather modest house, the small house he built for his spinster daughters, and the greenhouse where he raised herbs for his medicines. The park is also very nice. Theory is that Morrow Mountain is the oldest mountain in North America; it's not large, but scientists say it's been worn down over time.

If you want to see Inidan relics, you can see a very old Indian burial ground -- just called Town Creek Indian Mound -- in Troy, NC. But it's close to nothing else. The NC mountain town of Cherokee is a tourist trap with lots of gambling.
Myrtle is a tourist trap. We call it "dirty Myrtle" for a reason ;)
I always hear it called the Redneck Riviera. Its one redeeming feature is that it is cheap, cheap, cheap. If you get outside Myrtle, either to the North or the South, you can find nice beaches. Also, Myrtle is no place to go for July 4th. The crowds will be unbelievable.
Ok we are meeting this morning to start the planning! My fear is I've got too much on my list now! Maybe someone can help me narrow this down... here's what I have so far that I want to do (and I haven't even seen her list yet! LOL)

1. Asheville - I mostly want to go here for Biltmore Estates. Is it worth taking the time for this if we are also going to Boone Hall Plantation? And is there anything else in Asheville that we just can't miss?

2. Blowing Rock - this looks so beautiful and I would love to go here - if time allows!!

2a. Near Blowing Rock - Mystery Hill and Grandfather Mountain - are these worth the time? Could we do these and Blowing Rock all in one day?

3. Charleston - well, I've got a HUGE list (thanks to you guys) of things that sound like fun here, including Boone Hall Plantation!

4. Outer Banks - I don't know much about this area but you guys do have me intrigued! Then again, I could get my beach fix at Folly Beach near Charleston and we could cut down on traveling, yes?

5. Fireworks on a beach - if we travel Saturday to Saturday (I am only assuming we will but I'm not sure), how could we plan our itinerary so that we are on a beach mid-week? Would that create too much travel and too little "tourist time?" Perhaps We should be in Charleston and go to Folly Beach? Do they have fireworks there?

Thanks again for all the help! I love you guys!! :cloud9:
Biltmore House and Boone Plantation have very little in common. If architecture is a big interest, you will not find them repetative in the least.

The house that stands on Boone Plantation is actually the third that has stood in that spot, but you'll get history of the Southern planters -- for example, the door is extra wide so that ladies in hoop skirts could fit through, and the front porch has no steps so that the fine folks could step straight from their carriage onto the porch. And at Boone you get the slave-history too. Biltmore is much younger -- it's from the railroad age; it was originally built with electric lights and servant's quarters. Also, Biltmore has a greater emphasis on the gardens, and -- as I said before -- it is also a winery. Personally, I would want to see both Biltmore and Boone.

Yes, you can do all those Blowing Rock items in one day. But it'll be a full day. No time for driving to your next destination.

I think you're going to have to lose the Outer Banks. It'll take you a solid day of driving to get there, then a solid day of driving back. And with everything else to do in the Carolinas, I wouldn't sacrafice two days out of my one week for the pickings at the Outer Banks.

I would be anywhere except the beach for July 4th. Crowds.

Saying "the mountains" is too broad an area. If you want to hike, consider Cashiers or the Great Smokies National Park (the only national park in the Carolinas). I'd lean towards the park because you can see Cades Cove, an old mountain village. Plus plenty of wildlife. The national park charges no entry fee, and you'll find plenty of hotels in the general area, though they'll all be rather humble in status.

Grandfather Mountain is another fun place. The "mile high swinging bridge" is one of a kind, and the bears are fun.

You can find plenty of places in the NC mountains to go white water rafting.

And Biltmore House is a great place to visit. Do not go on July 4th -- it's always crowded on holidays and weekends. Definitely do the servants' quarters tour; I find it more interesting than the upstairs. They also have a winery on the grounds, so if you're into that kind of thing you can attend a tasting.

If you can only eat BBQ in one place, make it Lexington BBQ -- that's the name of the place, not a description. It's just off the interstate, and the driveway's a bit confusing. You might end up driving past it. It's worth the effort. We've driven more than an hour JUST to eat there. Don't go expecting fancy: It's kind of an old building that "evolved". You're going for the food. 2nd best BBQ in the Carolinas: Gary's BBQ in Kannapolis. Try the BBQ Salad with Thousand Island dressing.

Also, mid-state, look into the Hiddenite gem mine. It's not a big tourist attraction, but it's fun. You can mine for gems -- emeralds are the thing everyone hopes to find. You will get DIRTY, so bring along a change of clothes. It's cheap, and you're guaranteed to come home with a jarful of something.

The USS Wilmington is interesting. And it'll put you near Wrightsville or Carolina Beaches. Fort Fisher is an old Civil War fort, and there's an aquarium nearby.

Much farther north in NC, the Outer Banks are full of history. In the summer they put on an outdoor drama about the Lost Colony, which I like a great deal. Also you can see Kitty Hawk (which is why our license plates say First in Flight) and the Elizabethian Gardens.I have never been to Minesota, but I think you're underestimating the size of the two Carolinas. NC is a loooooong state; it'd take you an entire day to drive from the mountains to the Outer Banks. We have good roads and (except for Charlotte and the Raleigh/Triangle area at rush hour) our traffic isn't nearly what some states have; still, you're going to have to pick and choose.

Since you mentioned the mountains and Southern archetecture, I'd suggest that you hit the mountains and the Charleston area -- those two things are do-able. More really isn't. As you develop your plans, I suggest that you plan it out on Google maps. That'll give you a realistic idea of what you can drive/do in one week.

Yeah, Southwest Air limits your exposure to the Carolinas. It's US Air country here. One hint: The Charlotte airport is always the most expensive.

Yes, you can rent a car in one place and return it to another location. IF your budget is big. You will pay, pay, pay for this option. But do check into the cost; it might be worth it to you. If you want to see Southern architecture, Charleston is a great choice. Savannah is also a great choice. Charleston offers a view of the city life PLUS the plantations, which are only 20-30 minutes outside the city, whereas Savannah is primarily a city-dwellers choice. Expect significant parking troubles in either of these old cities. If you go to Savannah, you must eat at Lady & Sons, Paula Deen's restaurant. In either city you'll practically trip over delicious food; it's everywhere.

If you could go back in history 200 years, you'd see that SC was made up of plantations, aristocratic planter families, and slaves. In contrast, NC was populated by poor farmers working their own land. Thus, SC is the place to see old plantations. The old, old farmhouses in NC didn't stand the test of time.

I agree with visiting Boone Plantation in Charleston. It's a fascinating view of the Civil war era plantation, and it's unique in that a few slave houses are still intact. You see, Boone plantation made its money from both crops and brickmaking. Thus, you'll see more brickwork (fence, slave quarters) than you would on most plantations, and -- as a result -- more has lasted into this century. It's also the place where the mini-series The North and The South was filmed, and you'll recognize the long, live-oak lined drive as the approach to Tara in the film Gone with the Wind.

Charleston is also a great place for the grits that someone else mentioned previously. Shrimp and Grits was a fashionable dish maybe a decade ago, but outside of Charleston and Savannah I haven't seen it on a menu in a long time. I'd skip both Sticky Fingers and Bubba Gump's Shrimp; those are both chains. In Charleston you can do much better.

If you want to see a poor man's homestead, the place I'd recommend in NC is Morrow Mountain State Park. A doctor and his family lived there around the civil war. You can see his rather modest house, the small house he built for his spinster daughters, and the greenhouse where he raised herbs for his medicines. The park is also very nice. Theory is that Morrow Mountain is the oldest mountain in North America; it's not large, but scientists say it's been worn down over time.

If you want to see Inidan relics, you can see a very old Indian burial ground -- just called Town Creek Indian Mound -- in Troy, NC. But it's close to nothing else. The NC mountain town of Cherokee is a tourist trap with lots of gambling. I always hear it called the Redneck Riviera. Its one redeeming feature is that it is cheap, cheap, cheap. If you get outside Myrtle, either to the North or the South, you can find nice beaches. Also, Myrtle is no place to go for July 4th. The crowds will be unbelievable.
Biltmore House and Boone Plantation have very little in common. If architecture is a big interest, you will not find them repetative in the least.

The house that stands on Boone Plantation is actually the third that has stood in that spot, but you'll get history of the Southern planters -- for example, the door is extra wide so that ladies in hoop skirts could fit through, and the front porch has no steps so that the fine folks could step straight from their carriage onto the porch. And at Boone you get the slave-history too. Biltmore is much younger -- it's from the railroad age; it was originally built with electric lights and servant's quarters. Also, Biltmore has a greater emphasis on the gardens, and -- as I said before -- it is also a winery. Personally, I would want to see both Biltmore and Boone.

Yes, you can do all those Blowing Rock items in one day. But it'll be a full day. No time for driving to your next destination.

I think you're going to have to lose the Outer Banks. It'll take you a solid day of driving to get there, then a solid day of driving back. And with everything else to do in the Carolinas, I wouldn't sacrafice two days out of my one week for the pickings at the Outer Banks.

I would be anywhere except the beach for July 4th. Crowds.

Wow! I live in SC, grew up in NC and you make me want to visit!!
I've ways wanted to go to the Hiddenite Gem Mine. Do you happen to know if there are any cities nearby?
Thanks!

2a. Near Blowing Rock - Mystery Hill and Grandfather Mountain - are these worth the time? Could we do these and Blowing Rock all in one day?:cloud9:

Grandfather Mountain is really cool. DS's friend works in the gift shop there, so if you go there & see Jake, tell him hello!

We took DS to Mystery Hill when he was small and he enjoyed it, but we thought it was a waste of time.

Hiddenite Gem Mines entrance is a stones throw from my in-laws (just make sure it's not an emerald.) DS has been there mining with scouts and school groups. Lots of folks love this. They have tour buses coming in some. Not terribly crowded most of the time though. http://www.hiddenitegems.com/ Also, if you go to this, you might be interested in the Lucas Mansion. The Lucas Mansion is a restored 1900 Queen Anne style house. It was once owned by Diamond Jim Lucas. http://hiddenitecenter.com/tour.htm
I've ways wanted to go to the Hiddenite Gem Mine. Do you happen to know if there are any cities nearby?
Thanks!

Hiddenite is a community that is located between Statesville and Taylorsville. It is closer to Taylorsville. Taylorsville, known as the Apple City, has small restaurants, shops and Walmart. :) There is a B&B, Apple City B & B. I have never stayed there, but have heard good things about them. http://applecitybedandbreakfast.com/ If you want a chain hotel, Statesville (to the east) or Hickory (south about 45 minutes) will be your best bet. Oh yeah, we measure in minutes, not miles, lol.

If you decide to come to the Gem Mine, Lucas Mansion or B&B, let me know! I'd love to meet a fellow Diser. I sound like a member of the Chamber of Commerce. I'm not, but I do work for the Local Government.

Whatever you decide to do and where ever you decide to go, I hope you really love it! There is such a large variety of things to do, you shouldn't get bored. Happy planning! :yay:

ETA- Our County is in the process of building a county park. It is on Rocky Face Mountain. It is a smallish mountain that was partially mined in the early 1900s. The park will be a place for walking trails, picnicing and just relaxation. It is supposed to open in June or July. If it's open then, it would be great to have you visit our neck of the woods. If you decide to go to the Gem Mine, it's not far from that.

Mystery Hill is just a little bitty tourist stop. I was disappointed when I was a kid.

Asheville is a funky, artsy town -- lots to see besides the Biltmore Estate. If you are going to Blowing Rock from there, take the Blue Ridge Parkway. It will take a little longer but definitely add to your trip. Stop at the Folk Art Center on your way to see some nice mountain arts and crafts.

There's really no comparison between Boone Hall and Biltmore. You have to see Biltmore to comprehend how big it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter