What are the drawbacks of Re-sales?

mickey85

Earning My Ears
Do you miss out on going to other destinations? Cruises?

Does Disney treat you any different?

What are the drawbacks?

Thanks

Since all you are guaranteed with your DVC membership is staying at your home resort, you really don't lose anything except a few perks that could change tomorrow.

Purchasing through resale you will not be eligible to use those Vacation Points to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. Those Vacation Points purchased resale are valid only for reservations at Disney Vacation Club resorts, as well as for RCI® exchanges, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest. Your most efficient use of points is at the DVC resorts. We never used the other options as they did not provide the bang for the points required. We could find better deals elsewhere paying out-of-pocket. In other words:
You get to keep more of your money! :rotfl2:

Since it wasn't explicity stated, yes, if you buy resale you can NOT use it to book cruises, but as dmoore22 said, that is not the most cost effective use of your points, although I'm sure some people love the flexibility even if it costs them a lot more.

If you do buy resale, you still need to do your research with things like "buy where you want to stay most", the life of the property may be lower than some of the newer properties bought direct, etc.

You also might feel guilty about the people staying in the same DVC rooms who paid double what you did. :lmao:

As was put best:

You get to keep more of your money! :rotfl2:

:thumbsup2

Since all you are guaranteed with your DVC membership is staying at your home resort, you really don't lose anything except a few perks that could change tomorrow.

That really is the bottom line. The policy on resales was "announced" by DVC and posted on the website with specifics and refers members to the "Home Resort Rules and Regulations" for more details. However the Rules and Regulations are rather open ended: From time to time, Disney Vacation Development, Inc., Buena Vista Trading Company, DVC Operator or their affiliates may establish special Club Member benefit programs to enhance membership for Club Members. Participation in any Club Member benefit program is completely voluntary. These special programs are not a component of any Ownership Interest or Additional Ownership Interest. Some or all Club Member benefit programs may be limited, modified, canceled or terminated at any time. In addition, some or all of Club Member benefit programs may be offered solely with respect to Ownership Interest purchased and owned by Club Members who purchased the Ownership Interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. and certain of these special programs, including those benefits marketed as Incidental Benefits under Section 721.075, Florida Statutes, may not be hypothecated, bought, sold, exchanged, rented or otherwise transferred, except upon written approval of Disney Vacation Development, Inc., and are solely for the original Club Member’s benefit and not for the benefit of that Club Member’s assigns or successors-in-interest. If a Club Member sells his/her Ownership Interest, these benefit programs do not automatically transfer to his/her buyer. The availability of these benefit programs may or may not be renewed or extended to such assigns or successors-in interest.
"

We purchased 250 points (semi-loaded) resale about 14 months ago. We are very happy with our purchase, and we saved about 60% or more over buying direct...

We are just about to take our 3rd trip using our points. Last January we treated my wife's parents (OKW 2BR). This December/ January we are treating my parents (OKW 2BR) and my wife's brother and family (he and his wife have triplets-- we're staying at the treehouses and a SSR studio). We also did a quick SWW trip last year. We purchased one annual pass for the three trips, and we've borrowed points to do everything and to invite everyone. If we paid 30% rack rates, we've already come close to breaking even. Our points will be almost completely depleted for 2012 by the end of this trip, but we've had 3 vacations and invited three other families to join us as our guests. We could not have afforded this without a discounted resale contract. If we had purchased directly from Disney, it would have twice as long to break even.

We don't care about using points on cruises or exchanges, so the limitations are not a big deal to us (even though we're grandfathered in at present). We're probably buy another contract in the next year, and we definitely plan on buying resale.

Thank y'all for the excellent replies.

I was told that if you bought resales, you would not be Abe to stay at other resorts other than your home resort; I was also told that discounts would not be available on annual passes if we bought resales.

Clearly, my source wa wrong. Glad I asked you guys!

Thank y'all for the excellent replies.

I was told that if you bought resales, you would not be Abe to stay at other resorts other than your home resort; I was also told that discounts would not be available on annual passes if we bought resales.

Clearly, my source wa wrong. Glad I asked you guys!

Either of those could happen to any owners (new, post-March 2011 resale, all resale) at any time, so do realize that. The first is very unlikely, but discounts do change, so don't buy based on them. Having said that, the money you save on resale can buy quite a few AP's. :)

Sorry to piggy back on your thread, but I had a resale type question... As a current member, if I bought a resale contract at the same home resort and same use year, would those resale points all roll into my current contract? Or would I would they stay 2 seperate with 1 with 0 restrictions and the 2nd with the DVC hotel restriction?

And for example if I wanted to cruise would I only be able to use the points from my original contract and the others would be ineligible for the cruise?

Curious...

Mark

Meaning if I wanted to cruise I could only use the points from my original contract and the others would be ineligible for the cruise?

Curious...

Mark

Any points you purchased directly from Disney could be use to cruise. But that is an expensive way to cruise.

Deb,
Yeah I would never cruise on points that was just an example that I knew the current resale points be used for... But if you buy same UY aren't the points merged into your current contract?? Or would there be a note saying that X points can't be used for such things?

Any thoughts?

Deb,
Yeah I would never cruise on points that was just an example that I knew the current resale points be used for... But if you buy same UY aren't the points merged into your current contract?? Or would there be a note saying that X points can't be used for such things?

Any thoughts?

Yes, it is noted on your membership at MS. They can tell you about ever point you own - when and where you got them.

if you buy same UY aren't the points merged into your current contract??

even if you buy the same UY month and the contracts are titled the same (and so added under the same member number), the contracts still remain distinct.

so if you own a 200 pt OKW contract with a sept UY and then buy a resale OKW with a sept UY for 40 pts, you can still sell or will each contract separately. if you want to book OKW at 11 months out, though, you can mix pts from both contracts as if they were a single contract.

but if you wanted to trade for a cruise or wdw hotel, you would only have access to the 200 pt OKW contract and not the resale pts.

Deb,

Any thoughts?

When you own multiple contracts that are the same resort, same UY, and titled the same way, the remain under the same membership.

Therefore, they are treated as one big pool of points in terms of booking since they would carry the same home resort advantage. I currently own two BLT contracts--one with 130 points and one with 150. I can use all 180 together.

However, they are their own contracts and listed as such on my membership which would allow me to sell one and not the other if I wanted.

It is the same with resale points--the contracts would be remain different and those that were bought through resale post-March 2011 would carry the restrictions and thus would not be eligible to be combined with your other points for cruises, etc.

WARNING

another piggy backer..:dance3:..OP may need relief soon.:lmao:

my question is- If as everyone says, cruising is not a good use of points, deductively thinking ( I try not to but often do) leads me to ask why in the world would Disney put that restriction in? I mean it would seem that it would be in their benefit to have people use more of their points that way? :confused3

If as everyone says, cruising is not a good use of points, deductively thinking ( I try not to but often do) leads me to ask why in the world would Disney put that restriction in?

it gives the guides something to say to potential buyers: "if you buy resale, you cannot do X." some people are content to believe that X probably has real value and don't even ask for a point chart to see whether that is true or not. some people want the option to do X even if it costs a lot more...it's just nice to have options.

from DVC's side - from what i understand (i could be wrong) - it's something of a hassle to administrate. it's not a profit center. so it works from their side to cut off access to some buyers.

but so long as a certain group of people is willing to pay $140 per pt to avoid "second class status", the restriction has accomplished what disney wanted it to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter