What are the chances...

I know a couple of the crew on the Wonder right now that are looking forward to going to Ensenada, they told me. I myself am not on the cruise, I wanted San Francisco so booked to one going to Vancouver and not the one going back.

That's good to know. Thank you. :) So you didn't feel at all unsafe there? :confused3

I wouldn't walk alone there by myself at night, but I wouldn't do that anywhere. I don't mean to sound mean, but before you declare that a place is dirty and unsafe, do some homework...

In what way do you believe Ensenada dangerous? Not the prettiest city in all of Mexico, true, but what danger exists for you?

Its just a matter of time before something really bad happens here and I'm suprised Disney continues to travel to MR. There is literally a war happening in Mexico and it is under reported (more than 40,000 dead).

Here is a quote on the subject that I agree with that was in a popular surfing mag:

The bottom line seems to be this: When we as surfers cross the border into Tijuana, we lose everything. All of our U.S. rights are gone. But because Baja is so close to us, both geographically and, as surfers, subculturally, we romantically expect U.S. levels of security, of justice, and of authority to blanket us. Many mistakenly have an “it won’t happen to me” mentality. But when you cross that border line, well, you cross that line.

I wouldn't walk alone there by myself at night, but I wouldn't do that anywhere. I don't mean to sound mean, but before you declare that a place is dirty and unsafe, do some homework...

I have. As I said in a previous post, I've been there... years ago. And it wasn't all that great of a city then. And from what I've heard, it's only gotten worse. My conclusion about Ensenada comes from a combination of personal experience, research (on the Internet) and from other people's more recent reviews of the city. So yes, I do have some basis for saying what I said. :cool:

and frankly, it'd dirty and disgusting!

Well, that's pretty insulting. People, just like you and me, call that place home and to disparage it as "dirty and disgusting" is rude.

Are you involved in a drug cartel? A Mexican national currently residing in Mexico? Planning on smuggling drugs into the country? Walking around in isolated areas by yourself at night? Getting drunk and not being aware of your surroundings? Committing a crime? I'm guessing the answer to all of these is no, in which case you will be fine if you use common sense.

Have you seen the recent statistics on violent crime in NYC? One would have to wonder why, based on numbers alone, Disney would allow that to be a home port.

Danger is everywhere. In every city. In every country. If you let the possibility of danger stop you from doing things you'd never go past your front door. And even that isn't a guarantee of safety. If you don't feel safe then, by all means, stay on the boat.

Based on your previous posts, I'm really wondering if international travel might not be for you. That's not to be insulting, really it's not, my mom is the same way. Some people just don't do well outside of their safety zone or with things they aren't familiar with. There's nothing wrong with that, but I just don't think the trip is worth the stress if that's the case.

This thread is kinda intresting..

I´ve read your first thread also and you said:

So, I noticed that the Ensenada Port Adventures got put on the DCL site today (they weren't there, as of yesterday). My fiancé and I didn't see any that we especially liked, and we looked on a Google map of Ensenada to see if we could tell if there were any beaches near where the boat docked, and we couldn't really tell that there were any close by that would be suitable for "beach" activities. So, we're thinking about just staying on the boat during the port of call, which is perfectly fine with us.

and

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I mean, I've been to Mexico before. I've even been to a border town (Tijuana) on several occasions, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything! LOL! And to be honest, when I saw the port adventures today, it was a complete let down! NOTHING worth doing! Shopping and city tours, eating, drinking... oh, and horseback riding. Not that I don't love horseback riding, but I can do it for a HELL of a lot cheaper than that and see MUCH more scening views elsewhere, thank you very much!

First you said you´ve been to Citys in Mexico - but you didn´t mention that you have been to Ensenada. Here you say - you have been there and therefore your it´s allowed to you, to judge about this place.

I have read several posts from you, about ensenada. And it looks to me, that you made up your position due textes of the internet and thats in my opinion wrong!!

I have been asked why we are going to the USA -there is so much crime, there its dangerous.. Really? In every part of our world there are places where its really dangerous. In the USA, in Mexico, in Germany, in Turkey - all over the world..
When i was 4!! I have been with my family in Chicago. With a bus we get through a hood where i never would walk by foot. But i really wouldn´t imagine to think now, whole Chicago is like that. Or the whole USA.

It is harder to crack a prejudice than an atom.
Albert Einstein

Personally, I try to avoid Mexico no matter what. Had a bad experience there (somewhere on the Baja) long ago and realized how close I came to being tossed in a jail cell with none of those "rights" that LexLaw mentioned. Yes, I know that can happen anywhere - but the town I stupidly visited was more into cowboy-justice led by the richest guy in town, whose car I managed to ding after renting an ATV with a broken steering column. (Note to self - also never rent ATVs from random street-providers. These are the lessons one learns as an early 20-something with a job who decides to take a little weekend trip with friends.....I sometimes look back and an amazed at the metamorphosis to becoming a rational human-being and parent.)

That said - I spent some time reading one of the boards here that is primarily for Australians, and I was chuckling about the debates around whether or not it was safe to visit the US after the death of Bin Laden. As in - the ENTIRE United States was deemed to be unsafe by many on that thread. So.....safety is in the eye of the beholder!

I think the question with greater implications would be....what would DCL do if they felt they HAD to cancel Ensenada at some point? Clearly, they aren't there yet. But if they do, then that would kind of throw a wrench into the Hawaiian itinerary due to the requirement to stop there, wouldn't it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter