What are the chances...

Makayna

Something brought you here, Flynn Rider. Call it w
...that they'll cancel Ensenada as a port for the Sept. 20th repo cruise to LA? Ensenada is getting more and more dangerous by the day! With it being such a short distance from Tijuana, I'm surprised they're considering that port at all! Ensenada is NOT a safe place, and frankly, it'd dirty and disgusting! They already have the foreign port requirement covered because they're starting in Vancouver and then stopping in Victoria. They don't NEED the Ensenada stop! I'd just as soon stop in San Francisco or San Diego on the way instead of dirty, creepy, dangerous Ensenada (NOT saying that ALL of Mexico is this way... but Ensenada is for sure).

What do you guys think? We're less than 4 months out. Is there any chance that they'll cancel Ensenada and do a different port, or just add another sea day? What are some predictions about this?! :confused3

We'll be on that cruise too! We don't plan to get off the boat, but if its in SanDiego isn't that where Legoland is? That would be great!

We'll be on that cruise too! We don't plan to get off the boat, but if its in SanDiego isn't that where Legoland is? That would be great!

I know, right?! Or Sea World, the GIANT San Diego Zoo, or just hang out on the beach. I LOVE San Diego!!! Or San Francisco would be awesome too! I just don't understand why they're doing such a disgusting, dirty port stop when there's virtually NOTHING to do there (even their port adventures DO NOT sound fun AT ALL) and they don't NEED that stop! I'm just having SUCH a hard time trying to figure out why on earth they're stopping there when they don't need to! :confused:

If you feel that it won't be safe, stay on the ship. It's only 6 hours there anyway. Anything is possible, so just cross your fingers that you won't go there. Funny, the 2012 repo will be overnighting in San Fran coming back from Vancouver. I can't wait to do that sailing, since I just did the northbound this year. That stop in San Francisco was really really nice.

And FTR, perhaps DCL does "need" the stop. Most, if not all of us here have little knowledge of the various rules that cruise lines must follow. Even tho it seems they don't need to stop there, they are.

If you feel that it won't be safe, stay on the ship. It's only 6 hours there anyway. Anything is possible, so just cross your fingers that you won't go there. Funny, the 2012 repo will be overnighting in San Fran coming back from Vancouver. I can't wait to do that sailing, since I just did the northbound this year. That stop in San Francisco was really really nice.

Oh, I'm definitely staying on the ship if we do, in fact, go there. I'm just hoping for a different port (although going to Ensenada means *possibly* saving more money since we won't be doing a port excursion, but who wants to do that?!?! :rotfl:). I'm just hoping that we go somewhere else that isn't so dirty and disgusting that has interesting things to do in the town, rather than HAVING to stay on the ship because there's nothing that we want to do and we wouldn't feel safe walking around by ourselves (again... this is NOT true for ALL of Mexico... just this particular port. ;)).

And FTR, perhaps DCL does "need" the stop. Most, if not all of us here have little knowledge of the various rules that cruise lines must follow. Even tho it seems they don't need to stop there, they are.

That's an interesting thought. Although, if they *needed* that stop, you'd think they'd be doing another non-US port stop on the repo cruise in 2012 when they're stopping in San Francisco overnight. They only foreign ports on that cruise are Vancouver and Victoria. So why would it be OK to do just those ports next year, and not this year?!?! :confused3

That's an interesting thought. Although, if they *needed* that stop, you'd think they'd be doing another non-US port stop on the repo cruise in 2012 when they're stopping in San Francisco overnight. They only foreign ports on that cruise are Vancouver and Victoria. So why would it be OK to do just those ports next year, and not this year?!?! :confused3

Actually, the 2012 cruise leaves from Vancouver and doesn't stop till San Fran. No Victoria stop. One reason they may not be in SF on the southbound this year is there may not be any berths open, SF is not a big cruise port and if there are already ships on the schedule, DCL is SOL.

Actually, the 2012 cruise leaves from Vancouver and doesn't stop till San Fran. No Victoria stop. One reason they may not be in SF on the southbound this year is there may not be any berths open, SF is not a big cruise port and if there are already ships on the schedule, DCL is SOL.

Well then, why not San Diego? Or simply add another sea day? Why Ensenada?! It doesn't make sense! :confused: If DCL is so concerned about their passengers' safety, and cancels ports that they deem unsafe, why aren't they canceling this one?! I'd lay a bet that Ensenada is very bit as dangerous as Mazatlan, if not more so, but they canceled that port, but didn't cancel Ensenada!

I wonder if it's because if they cancel it on THIS cruise, they'll feel more obligated to cancel it on the Hawaii cruise, and they really DO need that port on the Hawaii cruise. It's pretty hard to justify not stopping there on this trip and then STOPPING there on the Hawaii trip... like Ensenada's going to be any safer when the Hawaii trip happens than it is now. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering if that *might* be part of the reason. But again, this is all speculation. :cool:

Have there been reports of crimes against tourist in Ensenada? I think that would be one deciding factor to cancel the port. Most likely DCL can;t get into San Diego, either and perhaps they feel like the passengers will mutiny if there are only sea days.

Again, regardless of what the DIS thinks, DCL is the one making the decisions based on the information they have. The deal with port authorities, with local governments, etc. They don't just decide on a whim. IMO, since you are staying on the ship, it should not be a concern. You may get real lucky and run into a west coast hurricane and miss that port, too. We missed Mazatlan and Cabo in 2005 because of a hurricane, we spent a few more days at sea than were originally intended, and DCL finally put in at Manzanillo, which was not really a tourist port, but the passengers were getting restless and wanted off. I stayed on the ship, I wished we could have gone from LA through the Canal to Castaway Cay with out stopping at any port.

Would there no be issues with cancelling this port? I thought they had to stop at 1 non-US port each trip and without stopping at Ensenada they wouldn't meet that criteria or am I wrong? I would have thought this was probably their only choice of port but I'm not 100% sure

I'm quite looking forward to stopping there. :) People say the same thing about the 3-4 day Bahamas cruises stopping in Nassau, but to each their own. If you don't want to go there, just stay on the ship.

We were in Ensenada a few years ago, did some wine tasting and had a very relaxing weekend there. Ensenada is NOT Tijuana. In fact, a large population of Ensenada is American and Canadian retirees.

In what way do you believe Ensenada dangerous? Not the prettiest city in all of Mexico, true, but what danger exists for you?

Would there no be issues with cancelling this port? I thought they had to stop at 1 non-US port each trip and without stopping at Ensenada they wouldn't meet that criteria or am I wrong? I would have thought this was probably their only choice of port but I'm not 100% sure

They are leaving from Vancouver and stopping in Victoria (Both in British Columbia, Canada). Foreign port stop is covered. ;)

In what way do you believe Ensenada dangerous? Not the prettiest city in all of Mexico, true, but what danger exists for you?

It's not even necessarily that I will feel unsafe - especially since I'm staying on the ship! I'd just prefer a different port where there is more fun things to do since none of the port adventures sound very appealing to FH and me. But safety would be the reason why DCL would cancel IF they do decide to cancel. And while it's certainly not Tijuana, it's also not Cabo or Puerto Vallarta either (much safer areas of Mexico). It's unsafe enough that I wouldn't want to go walking around without being on a Disney excursion, but not so unsafe that I'm going to cancel my vacation because of it, especially since we're most likely not getting off the ship. Was basically just wondering if anyone thought that DCL MIGHT cancel that port stop, since they don't really NEED to stop there. ;)

We were in Ensenada a few years ago, did some wine tasting and had a very relaxing weekend there. Ensenada is NOT Tijuana. In fact, a large population of Ensenada is American and Canadian retirees.

That's good to know. Thank you. :) So you didn't feel at all unsafe there? :confused3

Have you already been there? Just wondering why you would call it dirty, dangerous and disgusting if you haven't. I don't understand why you booked a cruise, knowing it would stop there, and then complain because you would prefer for it to stop somewhere else.

Have you already been there? Just wondering why you would call it dirty, dangerous and disgusting if you haven't. I don't understand why you booked a cruise, knowing it would stop there, and then complain because you would prefer for it to stop somewhere else.

I lived in So Cal for 20 years. I visited Ensenada twice when I was younger. It was gross then. I can only imagine that it's gotten worse.

As for complaining about the stop, I'm not complaining to DCL, nor will I. If we stop there, we stop there and I'm fine with that. I will enjoy my time on the ship or in port regardless of where we are. I will not be even the slightest bit upset about being in Ensenada, and will make the most of our trip no matter what we do or where we stop. I merely started a discussion about the likelihood of them canceling the port stop on a discussion board about Disney cruising. I don't see how that can be seen as complaining. It's starting a discussion, which is what I thought that this board was for. :confused:

I personally like the discussion. I like to dream big, so, how about this (Disney, I hope you are watching these boards): So, instead of going to Mexico they go right to LA port and give everyone a one day pass to either DL or CA, plus they give us free transportation there. Then, we can still get back on the ship and have dinner and spend the night there. Huh? Anyone? Am I right?

I personally like the discussion. I like to dream big, so, how about this (Disney, I hope you are watching these boards): So, instead of going to Mexico they go right to LA port and give everyone a one day pass to either DL or CA, plus they give us free transportation there. Then, we can still get back on the ship and have dinner and spend the night there. Huh? Anyone? Am I right?

Nah, this wouldn't be a biggie for us. We have 365 access to D'land so that would be money just thrown away. I do understand that this might be good for some, but as always there will be those for whom it doesn't work.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to seeing what excursions are listed for Ensenada. We had a food and wine event here in San Miguel de Allende this past January and there were some great wineries up in the northern Baja area. Time to start looking at possibilites.....

Miguelito

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter