What are the chances of getting VWL?

cheryltoon

Earning My Ears
I've posted a number of times seeking out a reservation for a 2 bdrm at VWL from Dec. 6-12 (family members from all over country are meeting here this week). LOTS of points available, but owners are saying there's no availability druing this week. Should I cut my losses and reserve a room through the resort or keep holding out for a, hopeful, later reservation opening up nearer to Dec.? :confused3

Thanks in advance for any help/ suggestions!

WLV is very popular during the holidays and I doubt that availability will open up. I'd rather have the certainty that what I want I will get than to to worry about scrambling at the end.

That is one of the most popular weeks of the year for DVC resorts at WDW in general and especially for VWL. Members who own VWL would have booked a stay like that right at the 11 month window (on Jan 6th) to be sure they got a room there. So it's no surprise there is no availability. It's possible that someone will need to cancel their trip and decide to rent their confirmed reservation but they cannot do that on the Rent/Trade board until they are within 30 days of check-in, in other words Nov 6th at the earliest.

Not to be a downer but we WL'd a one bedroom at VWL last year for 11/30 - 12/5 last year at the very first day of our seven month window and we never got it. VWL is hard to get during Nov. - Dec.. Good luck though!

I own at VWL just to be able to book December at the 11 month mark.

If you aren't a DVC owner at least on the waitlist for Dec at VWL, I think there is little to no chance of you getting the dates you want.

We purchased DVC in 2005 and are still trying to get VWL or BCV. I'm beginning to think that my dreams of trying all of the DVC resorts at least once are never going to happen. Our next trip we're thinking mid to late september. Is this an impossible time for these resorts as well?

We purchased DVC in 2005 and are still trying to get VWL or BCV. I'm beginning to think that my dreams of trying all of the DVC resorts at least once are never going to happen. Our next trip we're thinking mid to late september. Is this an impossible time for these resorts as well?

Well, VWL is the smallest DVC resort at WDW, and BCV is the second smallest. Perhaps you've been trying to book during busy periods for these resorts? Late September sounds doable, especially if you book 7 months in advance.

I got VWL at 7 mos. for the end of May. I think VWL will be beautiful this time of year. I know its not the holidays, but you might have a better chance in May or Sept.:goodvibes

I was able to book VWL last month for a early September stay. I originally booked a 1 BR and a week later was able to change it to a studio. I was surprised that it was available.

There's room for hope then. Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. We do usually vacation in october or november so I always knew BCV would be near to impossible. This year our trip was in early march and both resorts were still beyond our reach. I'll keep planning for september and keep my fingers crossed. :)

I think the only way you are going to get a reservation for early December is to find an owner who already has a reservation, and is looking to rent it out. This board forbids such transactions until 30-days out so you won't find an owner here. But there are many other DVC-rental resources out there. You may be able to find what you need on one of them.

I would go ahead and make a cash reservation through CRO and keep trying to rent. You can cancel the cash reservation if you get lucky.

Although that week would normally be pretty impossible, the way the economy is, you never know. For example, here's a link to a thread about lots of last-minute cancellations occuring for Easter Week because of the economy: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2138843

However, I have to tell you that you will probably have great difficulty renting if you try to do so last-minute. Your situation with relatives coming from all over is a bit of a nightmare for renting anyway, and the closer you get to your arrival date, the more risk for the owner renting you the points.

Too often, these family gatherings unravel causing huge problems with reservations due to changing plans. If the 2 BR is for your family ONLY, and you are POSITIVE that you're going no matter what, be sure to let owners know that.

I was waitlisted for the first week of December last year. Waitlisted right at 7 months and it never came in. I kept up hope but by reading all the posts about how popular VWL is at the holidays I didn't think it was going to come in.

DisneyFreaks:

Perhaps a useful strategy for you will be to trade with a BCV or VWL owner. Now with the Treehouse Villas at SSR, you will probably find many interested in swapping with you. VWL is my home resort and I hope to be able to trade with a BLT or SSR owner in a couple years...not this year though as we are looking forward to our first Christmas trip to VWL! :banana:

Scott

DisneyFreaks:
Perhaps a useful strategy for you will be to trade with a BCV or VWL owner. Now with the Treehouse Villas at SSR, you will probably find many interested in swapping with you. VWL is my home resort and I hope to be able to trade with a BLT or SSR owner in a couple years...not this year though as we are looking forward to our first Christmas trip to VWL! :banana:
Scott

Hmmmm. I didn't think of doing that. Thanks for the thought.

DisneyFreaks:

Scott

Great suggestion Scott. I was thinking the same thing!! Hoping someone will want my BLT points to book 11 months out so we can try WL around Thanksgiving!! Maybe there should be a owners TRADE on the boards. :laughing:

Thanks for all the GREAT input DVCers. I just booked a room through reservations and will keep checking the board closer to time for VWL...I can cancel the room up to 5 days before arrival. Got my hopes up, but need to be realistic! :sad1:

On the otherhand, if all goes well with jobs, saving $, WE ARE GOING TO DISNEYWORLD...villa or no villa (sniff...sniff)!!!:woohoo:

I hate to be pessimistic but I think your chances for VWL for that week are slim. I own VWL and waitlisted at 10 months for the same time period.

But then again it's Disney and magical things do happen.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest