What are the advantages higher decks 7 over deck 1.

Got Quattro?

DIS Veteran
I noticed all the higher catagories have deck 1 and up to the cat 1-4 rooms being on the higher decks.

What are the advantages....i can see maybe being closer to the action versus always having to decend 6 or 7 floors to go to your room.

But, are the higher floors more isolated from mechanicle noise of the ship?

Is the view from the verandah going to be that much better?

thanks. We are about to take our first cruise ever and have many questions.

I think it's like any building. The penthouse is the best, right? The lower floors are seen as less desirable. Honestly, however, I really don't see the advantage of a higher deck over a lower one. We actually prefer Deck 2 to all others (we've stayed on 2, 5, 6 & 7). It is a misconception that you are closer to the action on the upper floors. Decks 1 & 2 have easy access to the restaurants, Walt Disney Theater, lobby, shops, nightclubs and disembarkation areas in the ports. Upper decks are closer to the pools, Topsiders/Beach Blanket Buffet, the spa & fitness center and Palo. Cabins on the middle decks are closest to the kids' clubs, Studio Sea, the Buena Vista Theater, shops and the Walt Disney Theater. Every location has its ups and downs.

All of the most expensive cabins are on Deck 8 but you couldn't pay me to stay there unless it was in a Forward cabin. The Midship and Aft cabins are right under the Goofy & Mickey pools and Topsiders, all of which can be noisy. I'll stay on Deck 2 where it's nice and quiet. Nothing is too far from anything on the ship and the walking helps work off that yummy food!

I noticed all the higher categories have deck 1 and up to the cat 1-4 rooms being on the higher decks.

What are the advantages....I can see maybe being closer to the action versus always having to descend 6 or 7 floors to go to your room.

But, are the higher floors more isolated from mechanical noise of the ship?

Is the view from the veranda going to be that much better?

thanks. We are about to take our first cruise ever and have many questions.

To answer your specific questions:

1. We like being on deck 8 because the GK's want to be close to the pools and the buffets.

2. Some of the lower cabins do have noise but some staterooms on deck 8 may have early morning noise when they are rearranging the deck chairs. If you want stateroom reviews, check this link:http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-deckplans.htm

3. Some of the veranda's on deck 8 in the larger suites are just larger and can accommodate more persons. Depending on what side of the ship you are on, the views will be pretty much the same only you may be closer forward to some things than you would be aft. Sometimes you have a better view on the port side and sometimes the starboard side has a better view.

On Disney I have always stayed on deck 8 in a Cat 4. On previous cruise lines I had a lower deck outside porthole room.

A lot has been posted above already, In cruising is usually considered the higher the level IE deck the better the room, on DCL the best Cat rooms are up on deck 8.

Verandahs are the higher decks and give you your own space and you feel less closed in, better if you are claustrophobic. The verandahs come into their own on sea days and events such as the Panama crossing as you have a reserved space.

I have never found noise a problem on deck 8 this is posted often, posts saying early morning deck chair moving, if it happens the noise is from cruisers not DCL staff who are silent.

The only issue is starboard aft rooms have to be careful on pirates night re fireworks.

I find the best bit is waking up first thing in the morning, going onto the verandah and see us pull in to a new port.

All decks are close to something, the higher decks are easy to get to the pools and topsiders, and easy to get up/down from these quickly, ie quick breakie back to room, clean teeth, before leaving ship all day,

All rooms are nice, Enjoy.

Cabin location on the ship is such a personal preference thing....but Decks 1 and 2 always seem to get a bad rap...most cruisers think being "down" on Decks 1 or 2 somehow equates to being a 2nd class citizen. Absolutely untrue on most cruiseships these days, especially so on DCL.

I have posted the following before on threads that ask about decks 1 and 2.

The benefits of staying on Deck 2 or Deck 1...putting some misconceptions to rest!.

I can never understand when people say that Deck 2 is far away from everything....the opposite is actually correct (at least on DCL)....if you think about the layout of the ship and you are staying on Decks 1 or 2, the only places that you really need to take an elevator to are Decks 9 and 10....except of course if you are in a wheelchair or handicapped in some way (or just don’t like stairs)...but think...you can have that extra dessert if you walk some stairs LOL!!.

Here is a breakdown of decks....

Decks 9 and 10 - Topsiders restaurant, Mickey Pool, Goofy Pool, Adult Pool, the Vista Spa, the fast food places, Cove Café (coffee bar), the Deck Parties, Palo....if you didn’t want to hike up the stairs you can take an elevator to these decks from Deck 2 (hint...the forward elevator is almost always available and takes you right to adult pool area and spa on Deck 9).

Decks 6, 7, 8 - these are passengers decks...no cruise "activities" and you would still have to walk up 2, 3 or 4 flights to the pool deck (Deck 9) or Deck 10 for Palo, sports deck.

Deck 5 - has a some passenger cabins and the Oceaneer Club, Oceaneer Lab, Flounders and the Buena Vista movie theater (all these are only 3 flights up from Deck 2).

Deck 4 - has the Walt Disney Theater, Mickey Mates shop, Treasure Ketch shop, Studio Sea lounge, Tea with Wendy event, Shuffle Board, those great comfy Deck chairs outside, the walking/running area, Animator's Palate Dining Room, Shutters (all these are only 2 flights up from Deck 2).

Deck 3 - has Rockin Bar D (theme nights, game shows, comedy shows, nightclub acts, Bingo), Diversions Pub, Sessions Piano Bar, Promenade Lounge, Up Beat shop, Internet Cafe, Guest Services Desk, Shore Excursion Desk, The Atrium (where most of the photos ops are taken and autographs given plus the games like Chip It Golf or Frog Racing, the Captain's Cocktail Party, Martini Tasting, Till We Meet Again Party) Parrot Cay Dining Room, the Galley Tour, Lumiere's Dining Room (and I probably forgot a few activities).... (all these are only one flight up from Deck 2)

Deck 2 - has the new kids area called Ocean Quest plus passenger cabins - just walk down the hall.

And finally Deck 1 has the Medical Facility and some passenger cabins...(only one deck down).

So, saying that Deck 2 is too low and too far removed from all the activity is not correct at all....it is actually closer to MORE of everything going on onboard except for things that happen on Decks 9 and 10. In addition, Deck 2 is at least equal in distance to some things as if you were staying on Deck 6, not to mention the convenience of getting on and off the ship in ports...no waiting endlessly for the elevator to the higher decks when you come back from a hot, exhausting day of exploring the ports....just one flight up and you are “home”....priceless!!!

DCL has decorated all their passenger cabin hallways in the same fashion. You would not really know if you were stepping off the elevator onto Deck 8 or Deck 1 by the decor so don't think that the lower decks are in any way less desirable than the higher decks. Obviously if you want a veranda you need to get a cabin on the higher decks but if you are happy with an inside or an oceanview save some money and book on decks 1 or 2. None of the DCL passenger decks are below the water line (which is another misconception of cruising.

I personally love Deck 2 , Cat 9 as they have the huge portholes and I love looking out across the ocean!!!

Good luck with your decision!!

on our past carnival cruise, the lower deck, which we were on, was referred to as the welfare deck, by some passengers, as heard at the pool area .

on our past carnival cruise, the lower deck, which we were on, was referred to as the welfare deck, by some passengers, as heard at the pool area .

Whatever makes them feel better about themselves I guess. :sad2: I'll happily stay on the "welfare deck" if it means that I can cruise twice as often!

Aaah. The age of excess lives on, I see.

When we quoted our next trip, it was $3000 more for a verandah. Heck, we can almost cruise again for that! A verandah would be great. A second cruise would be pure heaven!

I'll hang w/the welfare crew anytime.

Been there....done that...verandah cabin twice (Yeah, I'm a little slow sometimes :rotfl: ). Not doing that again. A porthole is fine with me if I get to cruise more often. Going twice in 2008 including Christmas week :cool1:

We have done cat 6 and cat 9. I loved the veranda, but I also loved my large port hole. I found the locations of each (deck 6 and deck 2) to be very convenient, but my husband really liked deck 6 more than deck 2. Next cruise we are on deck 7, I sure hope the seas are calm!

I think that just shows how ill bred are any of those passengers who would make such a crass remark. People of all different economic status choose different decks for various reasons. I would never prejudge anyone just on what deck they decided to choose on a cruise ship.

This is an old myth that goes back even to during Titanic Days. Remember what they did to the guest in the lower sections/decks of the ship. It is not true these days, but I do think the thought process still carries to be true. There are MANY things like that in today's society. Things that are NO longer true, still are believed to be true. We have friends that make a LOT more money than we do and they feel, whom needs to be higher on the ship???? Just get on the ship. Now we do stay in a cat. with a verandah, but it is because we are the type of people that sometimes just need to get away. We like the peace and quiet. My DH :love: the chairs on Deck 5, until someone else comes out. So we justify our verandah for that reason. Now last cruise, we stayed in a cat. 4; but after the safety drill, I was a little nervous when I found out our meeting station was AP, I guess I felt better being next to the Life Boats each time we were in a cat. 6. Just getting on the ship is all that is important. Your category is FINE.....:hippie:

We stayed on a really high deck. Don't remember which one but my husband is scared of heights and almost passed out when he stepped onto the balcony. If any of you are scared of heights a lower cabin would be the way to go.

We just got back from the 7 day Eastern and we were on deck 6 with a veranda. We have some really treasured memories from our veranda and I would not trade them for anything. This was our first cruise on Disney and prior to that my DW and I had cruised with Carnival on the lowest passenger deck available with a porthole window. We liked both and you can't really compare the two ships anyway. I timed myself in the mornings to see how long it would take me to walk up the stairs and get coffee on deck 9 and back and it was about 7-10 minutes each morning. The truth is your never really far from the action anywhere, you might just have to walk a little more depending on where you are....I don't think we will ever cruise again without the veranda though as it really added to the "magic".

I like having cabins above me rather than public areas - such as dining rooms, lounges, or theaters. For that reason, I would be very picky about choosing a cabin on deck 2. I'm also cheap, so I would rather have a cat. 11 cabin on decks 5, 6, or 7 than one with a window on deck 2. Most cat. 10 cabins with the split bath are also on decks 1 and 2.

I'm cruising with my mom in January, and she wanted a balcony cabin. :rolleyes: I see no point in paying more for the same cabin simply because it's on a higher deck. Therefore, I wouldn't book a cat. 5 cabin when it is no different from a cat. 6.

On our next DCL cruise we are in a Cat 5. Why? It was actually cheaper than a cat 6. Sounds strange, but true. I know this not the norm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter