What are the 2 best ways to see wildlife on the Alaskan cruise?

particularly Eagles

But bear and moose would be cool, too.
Eagles - really no issue there. They are all over the place. Just keep your eyes open - treetops, sky.

Bear & moose, best viewing we've done was on our trip into Denali.

You won't see as much wildlife in ports, unless you go inland more.

Look for "Golf Balls" in the trees - those are Eagles. DW was great at spotting them, me not so much.
P8120347a.JPG P8120347b.JPG P8120349a.JPG P8120349b.JPG

We just got off the Wonder on Monday. We saw so many bald eagles in Juneau...they were like seagulls or pigeons. They were camped out on street light poles, sitting on top of buildings, etc. We had one follow us out of port in Skagway...I got some great photos of it riding the wind coming up off the front of the ship.

Bring binoculars!!! We watched for eagles from our balcony on the ship. There were many along the shores!! We also saw seals on ice bergs and whales too. All of these while sailing on the ship. Enjoy!!!

You'll have no issues at all seeing Eagles.

Bears are more likely to be found later in the cruise season from July to September, after the salmon start running. Moose are more unpredictable than that. From the ship itself you may be able to see bears and/or moose along the shore as you're traveling. Although, I this is relatively uncommon. The best option would analyze the ports you're visiting and take a look at the excursions available there. Some of them are directly focused on wildlife and can include specific areas where bears are more likely to be.

Of the locations that Disney stops, really the only place you could do bears on your own would be in Skagway, by getting over to Haines and going to the Chilkoot river. I'm sure you could find a float plane trip in Ketchikan that includes the Anan observatory.

We just got off the wonder on Monday. Eagles were very easy to spot everywhere. We had one very close to us in Juneau at the Salmon Hatchery he was just seating there like nothing a few steps from us. I will post a picture. We were very lucky to see two black bears the first one from the boat excursion in Tracy Arm and the other one in Ketchikan. During another tour a black bear came out of the forest, walked through the parking lot of a salmon hatchery and found his way in to grab a salmon. It was an awesome experience.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 25
We just got off the wonder on Monday. Eagles were very easy to spot everywhere. We had one very close to us in Juneau at the Salmon Hatchery he was just seating there like nothing a few steps from us. I will post a picture. We were very lucky to see two black bears the first one from the boat excursion in Tracy Arm and the other one in Ketchikan. During another tour a black bear came out of the forest, walked through the parking lot of a salmon hatchery and found his way in to grab a salmon. It was an awesome experience.

Love the bear at the hatchery photo! Why go to all that work catching salmon in the river, when the humans have left a buffet for you!

We did the Alaskan Bear Country Expedition in Ketchican and it was the highlight of our trip. We saw three different groups of a Mother and pair of bear cubs feeding very close up. Grandpa got the best picture of anyone in our group traveling the entire trip when he snapped a pic on his phone of an eagle swooping down and grabbing a salmon from the stream next to the salmon hatchery (looked like a professional pic from National Geographic). They also had a small raptor center that they had some injured eagles that you can get right up to.

Like other said, Juneau had eagles everywhere. The large power line towers next to the port had them all over them.

As all have said, we saw tons of Eagles. We saw about 13 black bears, but that was on an excursion to the Wildlife Rainforest Sanctuary. We were not able to see any moose, and were told they were very rare. We were there the first week of September, last year. We loved our cruise so much (and Alaska) that we booked the ABD Alaskan experience for this coming August. We are beyond excited as we will get to go into Denali and hopefully finally see those Moose!

We saw whales and a pod of dolphins from our balcony on the ship. We did a Mendenhall glacier/whale watch tour thru Juneau whale watch (ask for Ben and Jerry!) and saw a bunch of eagles and humpback whales. We even saw a sizeable gathering of huge sea lions along the shore whale watching. We were in a smaller boat with only 14 people and we got really close to the whales. In Skagway we took a private tour went up into the Yukon with Beyond Skagway tours and that is where we saw bears. There were also a lot of seals in Endicott Arm. This was all last month.

Yeah, I agree with some of the previous posters that eagles where all over the place and a lot of the tour guides will point them out. I also saw several bears in Juneau at the Mendenhall Glacier. In Skagway I took the White Pass & Yukon Train ride and noticed all sorts of wildlife as well. When you are on the ship keep you eyes open as well because I noticed killer whales, dolphins, sea lions and other whales when just looking out the window or deck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter