What are some amazing things to do in Disney that are not well known?

We leave a week from today and as usual I'm reading the boards, we don't want to miss a thing -- this is our celebration with daughter for her 16th birthday - we offered her the opportunity to bring a friend along, and her response was, no, I want us to enjoy it as a family together -- I was so touched -- we have her attention for the entire week!

Dsughter is a beautiful artist, she loves to draw and the animation class will be something that totally wins her heart - I can wait to "stumble" upon it - and surprise her with the three of us taking the class.

Thanks for the tip!:cool1:

My husband heard about "Captain Jack's Pirate Tutorial" next to POTC. You have to ask a CM next to the attraction what time he might show up. Captain Jack and his faithful crewman Mack show the kids how to cross swords and also how to run away. Since we knew what time and were waiting, my son got picked to fight, and both my son and daughter got a neat certificate saying they were now pirates with Captain Jack. Captain Jack was really Johnny Depp, he was so good! and good-looking :love:

We like to go into Club Cool in Epcot. They have sodas from all over the world you can try. It's very fun to have unsuspecting companions try the "Beverly" (a bitter apertif from Italy) and have the camera ready for their reaction. Good fun!

We also love picking a pearl, and we had ours set this year. The cost of the settings is a huge range, but we got a very nice necklace made for maybe an extra $25.

We have been to WDW dozens of times and just this past trip did the Animation class at DHS. It was awesome! I can't believe we missed it all this time. It is in the Animation building, about a half hour class with a Disney animator, you learn how to draw a particular character. My DD10 who loves to draw and I did it (DH and DD16 can only draw stick figures so did not go). Our character that class was Sorcerer Mickey, who happened to be signing autographs right there in the Animation Building. We met him after the class and he signed our artwork. I would definitely recommend if you like to draw even a little bit.

We have done this twice at DLRP. We drew Pooh and Mickey. Great fun :)

I LOVE the animation idea. I will try that next trip. My DDs and I love having High Tea at the Garden View Cafe at GF. It's not that expensive and a lovely way to spend an afternoon. :thumbsup2princess:

Many of the resorts have nightly campfires and movies (fort wilderness and GF for both, ASMu for the movie and daily pool activities). Like PP said the boat rides around the resorts are free and fun to do. There is also one to DTD from POFQ.

We like to go into Club Cool in Epcot. They have sodas from all over the world you can try. It's very fun to have unsuspecting companions try the "Beverly" (a bitter apertif from Italy) and have the camera ready for their reaction. Good fun!

We also love picking a pearl, and we had ours set this year. The cost of the settings is a huge range, but we got a very nice necklace made for maybe an extra $25.

Where is club cool in Epcot????All the times we have been I don't remember seeing this.:confused:

I would go resort hopping. it is so much fun and free!!!!:) The resorts are so neat to check out. Alot of the resorts have activities to do. Some cost money some don't.

Have fun !!!!!:rotfl::dance3:

I think the Pick a Pearl is $17 now. You can get one in the Japan Pavilion at Mitsukoshi Department store. Someone also said you could do it at DTD and I read in a guide it also can be done at Typhoon Lagoon.

Yes we were just there ... they did have pavilion at DTD and Blizzard Beach. I didn't realized it was so inexpensive. I thought it would be a lot of money and wondered why it was at Blizzard Beach. Thanks for the info. Maybe keep in mind for the next trip.

As for the fireworks in Magic Kingdom, we used to watch them from the beach in Fort Wilderness then hang about for the electric water parade.

How much is it to make it into a ring after that?

We did this last year. How much the ring costs depends on what setting you choose.

In our case we made necklaces and a tie tac. I purchased the necklaces off ebay before we went, so the tie tac was the most $ item we purchased there.

I don't know about DTD - but at Epcot the ladies make a real event out of it. They bang a gong, etc. and really make it special.

Here is a pic of our items.

IMGA0856.jpg

I really like your signature at the end ... did you make that or is there a program out there that you could share?

Thank you so much! It's really fun! If you go to the "Creative Disigns" section of this forum, look down through the threads to find Kellybell. That area is full of very talented people & they will personalize their designs for you! It's super fun! Let me know if you have any trouble finding it. I can't attach my link because I'm on my blackberry!

We did this last year. How much the ring costs depends on what setting you choose.

In our case we made necklaces and a tie tac. I purchased the necklaces off ebay before we went, so the tie tac was the most $ item we purchased there.

I don't know about DTD - but at Epcot the ladies make a real event out of it. They bang a gong, etc. and really make it special.

Here is a pic of our items.

IMGA0856.jpg

I just LOVE that carriage neckalce! Can that be bought in Japan also? If not, please tell me where you got it on ebay. It is just perfect for what I am looking for! Thank you for posting.

what are some activties, places to go to, things to see that are not well known or well advertised in disney world that you can tell me about??

example: picking an oyster and having the pearl that was inside made into a ring at epoct/japan was awesome -- but i would never had known about it if my friend did not tell me about it.

Does anyone else have an fun -not well known- things to do in disney?

what was the approx cost of that???

As for the fireworks in Magic Kingdom, we used to watch them from the beach in Fort Wilderness then hang about for the electric water parade.

We love to watch the MK fireworks from the roof of the Contemporary. You can go up on the 15th floor and there are 2 observation decks. Either that, or go out the side door on the Concourse level and watch from there. You get a whole different perspective watching from a distance like that.

I'm not sure if you have kids or not, so some of these may not interest you, but this is what comes to mind right off the top:

Fort Wilderness has lots of neat stuff like hay rides, campfires, pony rides, canoe trail, etc.

Port Orleans has a carriage ride.

Lots of resorts have boat rentals.

Get a hair cut on Main Street.

Visit the stables of the Main Street horses at Fort Wilderness.

Ride in the front on the monorail and take in the sights!

We are doing the Pirate and Pals cruise on our next trip. It has a Captain Hook, Smee, and Peter Pan meet and greet and a fireworks cruise.

We did a free photo shoot of my DD in her princess dress at Exposition Hall on Main Street (had it put on the PP card).

We had a caricature drawn of my DD at our hotel and had it framed. We love it. He drew her as a mermaid and I had it framed with the picture of DD meeting Ariel.

Some hotels also do hair braiding and tattoes.

You can also get a very nice face painting at AK.

Stop and watch one of the street shows in World Showcase in Epcot. We did a few and found them to be very good.

Do the make your own candy thing at Goofy's in DTD.

Do the new hot air balloon thing in DTD.

Make some pressed pennies.

Do a private tour or swim with the dolphins at Epcot. I've heard lots of good stuff about the Segway tour there.

Do a passport book as you tour the countries in Epcot.

Wake up Tinkerbell at MK in the Tink's Treasure store.

Walk down the boardwalk at night.

Do the Wonderland Tea Party at the Grand Floridian.

Go check out some of the really nice/unique resorts like Beach Club or AKL.

Visit one of the mini golf places.

The best thing we did on our trip was a private photo session at the GF. I got some wonderful family photos with the most awesome backgrounds imaginable! Many other resorts are doing this now too.

Here is a link that has a long list of "overlooked things to do" at WDW:

http://allears.net/tp/ola.htm

Hope this helps a little.

Something I did for the first time on my last trip was the Behind the Seeds tour at the Land pavilion in EPCOT. I'm not really a gardener (my friend was the one who wanted to do it), but it was *really* fascinating. We walked through the greenhouses that you see on the Land ride. We even got to taste a hydroponically-grown mickey-shaped cucumber. The cost was under $20 (I want to say more like $15).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter