What are our riding options if we have a terrified 8 year old?

heycher

Mouseketeer
Hi all, while I am certain this has been discussed regularly, I am not having luck finding answers via my searches.

We have a group of 5 travelling to the world at the end of July. My 8 year old daughter is really terrified of the coasters (r&r, EE, ToT and sometimes Splash).

Do we have any options besides someone staying OFF of the ride entirely with her on any of these rides? She's too old to use a child swap pass on, correct? Is there ever a way to take her through a queue with us, let part of our party ride through and take her after they've completed their ride and then I could ride last, something like that? She does NOT mind waiting through the line, as long as she is not pressured to ride. (sorry-- its hard to explain!)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Is there ever a way to take her through a queue with us, let part of our party ride through and take her after they've completed their ride and then I could ride last, something like that?

I don't see why that would be a problem. Don't quote me, but seems to me it would be similar to asking to sit in a certain spot, you just have to wait. Let part of your party go and make the switch when they get back. Doesn't seem hard and a Cast member should be able to make it work.

I know she can walk through the toft que and go out the elevator for guests who change their mind and then you can take turns riding. Splash mountain she can walk throuh the que w/ you also and then switch riders. EE you can ride single rider line pretty quickly. They'll usually let you parentswap even if she's old enough to ride and doesn't want to. I've never had a problem. My 7 yr. old doesn't like to ride either.

as PP suggested I'd just ask the CM's about rider swap. I can't see why they'd say no, seeing as though she's not really old enough to be waiting around by the exit alone.

Not all CMs will let you child swap if she's too old. We found that at MK, they were not willing to do that for us, but at most of the other parks, they were. Not sure why--but MK gave us problems at several rides at different times.

But many CMs are really nice about it. At Star Tours, my boys got to ride twice in a row without getting up, and DH and I took turns waiting in the exit area with DD. But we did wait in the line and get to the loading area to do that.

Hi. My 8 year old doesn't like scary rides. She had a tough time on POTC, Snow White and chickened out on HM. I just sat out with her.

I didn't want to guilt her into thinking she had to ride to make me happy, or by not riding she was ruining anything for anyone else. She apologized many times for not riding, and was very upset about it in the beginning. I always made sure I let her know it was no problem, and some day she'd want to ride everything, and until then it's fine with me. Just makes for another reason to go back.

I don't want to sound preachy or anything, but I didn't want to mess with her self-esteem over something as silly as a ride.

When we took our niece for the first time back in 2007, she refused to ride the big rides (ie RnR, EE, ToT etc). She was 8 at the time and we were allowed to use child-swap with her. We just asked and the CMs were great about it.

My DD 8 is the same. I think I DID convince her to finally try Goofy's Barnstormer on our next trip! Woo hoo. If they don't let you do parent swap, you can get 4 FP and just take turns in the FP line. We have done that and it works out OK. I did "pressure" her to ride Splash a couple years ago, and I regret it. Now I don't know if she'll EVER go on it again, even though she's probably getting more ready now. She still talks about that, and I feel so bad. Ugh!

my 8 year old is not a fan of the thrill rides or anything with height. They would not allow us a baby swap pass at Soarin. Most other places have been accomidating. This trip I HOPE I can get her to ride a few more things. She misses a lot.

DS (now 16) was never a fan of thrill rides but always loved Disney. We never had trouble doing the child swap on coasters; think they are used to seeing that. As he got older he and his sister would stay with us on the que then pass through to the exit while mom & I rode. Will never forget trip with DS12 & DD9 - waited with us at TOT then followed the very serious/creepy looking bellhop to the waiting area - they definitely were reconsidering their choice!
BTW, he now rides everything, over and over. I truly believe the lack of pressure growing up enabled him to enjoy the thrill rides in his own time.

My DD 8 is the same. I think I DID convince her to finally try Goofy's Barnstormer on our next trip! Woo hoo. If they don't let you do parent swap, you can get 4 FP and just take turns in the FP line. We have done that and it works out OK. I did "pressure" her to ride Splash a couple years ago, and I regret it. Now I don't know if she'll EVER go on it again, even though she's probably getting more ready now. She still talks about that, and I feel so bad. Ugh!

That's our story, only with Expedition Everest.... I still feel terribly guilty but our last trip it was just she and I and neither of us had ever rode it before... i begged and bribed to make it happen, she rode, it, hated it, and now I'm scared I totally traumatized her because of it! So now I'm doing NO pressure, just that she has to wait while those of us who want to ride get to do it, which she has zero problem doing... so I can't really complain.

Thanks all for your thoughts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter