What are most kids/families wearing at Disney?

brownhouse

Earning My Ears
I was planning on buying a few loud matching tshirts for our family and calling it quits but now after reading the message boards I kind of feel like I should be dressing us all in Disney everyday. That would be great but is an added expense to our trip! Are kids really wearing Disney from head to toe? Do you think the cute little outfits make a difference in being chosen for a "Dream Prize"??? Are my girls going to feel bad that they aren't dressed like "all the other girls"?...will it be that obvious?? We do have the Cinderella costumes for one occasion. My girls are always dressed nicely but I was really trying hard to keep the packing simple and minimal, buy matching shirts, throw on some khaki shorts and call it a day. What is your honest opinion?? Oh...we'll be there the first week of December.

Ease your troubled mind. There are THOUSANDS of kids at Disney and only a small percentage will be wearing Disney duds or princess outfits. Just dress your kids however they'll be comfortable.

Perhaps a greater percentage of DISsers do dress up their kids, but that's because of our great (hmmm, obsessive...nah) love of all things Disney!

I bought a few disney outfits (T shirts or short sleeve button ups with shorts) at K-mart when they were having their season clearance for DS to wear while we're down there in January, assuming it's warm enough for short sleeves. Of course, paying $3 per outfit, I couldn't really justify NOT buying them anyway. He'll wear them at some point & if he CAN wear them to the parks, his Mommy will be happy....

my mom bought us all matching shirts at the disney store for five bucks . she said that the store was having a great sale she got four shirts for my chidlren and a hat , a shirt for all four adults plus three hats for 50.00 .she was happy. :dance3:

Just back from Aug trip and I DID see much more costuming on teh kids this year. Lots of princess dresses, though HONESTLY it wa shot and I felt BAD for them, LOL!

Bring what you want and "roll, roll roll" those clothes, you'll have lots of extra space.
Have a wonderful trip, Disney is Magical no matter what you're wearing.
By the way there were many adults in Pirate hats, braids etc...it was kinda fun to see the enthusiasm!

I was planning on buying a few loud matching tshirts for our family and calling it quits but now after reading the message boards I kind of feel like I should be dressing us all in Disney everyday. That would be great but is an added expense to our trip! Are kids really wearing Disney from head to toe? Do you think the cute little outfits make a difference in being chosen for a "Dream Prize"??? Are my girls going to feel bad that they aren't dressed like "all the other girls"?...will it be that obvious?? We do have the Cinderella costumes for one occasion. My girls are always dressed nicely but I was really trying hard to keep the packing simple and minimal, buy matching shirts, throw on some khaki shorts and call it a day. What is your honest opinion?? Oh...we'll be there the first week of December.

Your kids aren't going to feel out of place or different, don't worry. There are pleanty of families there that don't wear Disney outfits.

This is the first year I've decided to make Disney customs for the girls, and I don't think they've suffered any on any of our previous trips by not having them. ;)

I agree with Teresa. We went Labor Day weekend and my daughter wore customs for the first time ever and my son was picked for a Dream Prize and he was wearing a Tampa Bay Lightening t-shirt! So don't worry about that, and have a great time!

We got a lot of attention while wearing matching Incredibles tees (DH's idea) and did get a couple of dream prizes that day but the rest of the week, the girls wore reg. clothes, a couple of their tees were disney but other than that, no special. I would not have them walking around the park in costumes, it is to hot, polyester does not breathe!!!

I can't really say for the weather or for being picked for a "dream prize" but we are going down in 11 days:cool1: :banana: , Really i think that I feel more sick than anything else!! But we are going to be wearing the same tshirts for 4 different days (Disney shirts) & then the same color for at least DD & I, she does have a few different princess dresses or/disney outfits she is wearing & we are going to wear our Eagles shirts 2 for the 2 Sunday games (DH wants to kill me that!!) But it is just DH & DS that need to get "matching" shirts for 3 days --I don't care if it's just color or character but matching hopefully. (But we got our Disney shirts @ Disney store on big sale)

Thanks everyone for easing my mind a little. I am looking for a few matching disney shirts at the Disney store this week...great deals if you can find the right sizes! I also thought about buying plain t-shirts and having the girls paint something Disney on them. I know they'd love to do that! Yeah...I would never have them wear their costumes all day through the park...just a character dinner or something. THANKS FOR REPLYING!!!

We have some Disney Store T's (we only every buy when they're done to $5), and I'm going to put some Disney patches on a couple pair of DD's cheap jeans for December - but nothing fancy. She'll only wear her costume to the princess breakfast and then change.

I bought some of the T's the same and some from the same movie, but not the same shirt - Mr. Incredible, Mrs. Incredible and Violet and Captain Hook, Tinkerbell and Peter Pan, etc. I can't believe DH actually agreed to where them!

If you want to make your family some inexpensive disney shirts, check out the Creative DISigns board. People make lots of different iron-ons and there are some other cool ideas on there, too.

We made these t-shirts for DD's 3rd birthday party using flour, water and spray-on fabric dye. They were easy and fun. The instructions are on this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1387362

E_WithMickeyShirt_500h.jpg

I LOVE IT! The shirt is beautiful and will definitely meet my 8 year old's (going on 16) approval. She's at the stage now where she likes the princesses but is becoming embarrassed about wearing princess clothing! Your Mickey tshirt looks cool enough for a teenager to wear! THANKS and I'll track down the instructions!

If you want to make your family some inexpensive disney shirts, check out the Creative DISigns board. People make lots of different iron-ons and there are some other cool ideas on there, too.

We made these t-shirts for DD's 3rd birthday party using flour, water and spray-on fabric dye. They were easy and fun. The instructions are on this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1387362

E_WithMickeyShirt_500h.jpg

I just read the instructions and it seems easy enough. One question for ya...your Mickey swirls look a lot fatter than the other ones. I believe she used a squirt bottle to make the spirals...did you use something different? I guess as long as you get the flour water mixture on the shirt to protect the fabric from the paint it doesn't matter how it is applied....right? Could you brush it on with a paintbrush?

I just read the instructions and it seems easy enough. One question for ya...your Mickey swirls look a lot fatter than the other ones. I believe she used a squirt bottle to make the spirals...did you use something different? I guess as long as you get the flour water mixture on the shirt to protect the fabric from the paint it doesn't matter how it is applied....right? Could you brush it on with a paintbrush?

I think the OP in that thread used a glue bottle. I used a kitchen squeeze bottle (for decorating cookies or putting sauces on things). I think my tip had a bigger hole in it, so my lines are thicker.

Also -- I tried to add water into the flour and it got all lumpy. I kept getting lumps stuck in my bottle then when they squeezed out it got goopy, instead of nice even lines. After doing several, I learned that if you add the flour into the water (instead of vice versa) it's easier to mix it till it's smooth. But, I kind of like how the goopy ones look, so I ended up "fake gooping" the smoother ones. LOL! ;)

But, to answer your question: Yes, I think you could apply it any way you wish... you just might get a different look depending on what you do. (I know someone who put their flour/water goo into a ziplock bag and snipped off a corner. That worked too.)

OK...I think I'm ready to make some Disney shirts!!! It will be fun experimenting! And using this idea...even Dad will have a Disney shirt! If I'm brave enough...I'll share our shirt designs with you guys! THANKS SO MUCH!

I have boys - so I am sure they don't want to dress up. I would wear what is coll and comfie and not worry about it. The Dream prizes are randomly picked - I wouldn't worry about that either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter