What am I missing? (Diaper Bag checklist)

Angel Ariel

DIS Veteran
I'm making a checklist that I'm going to laminate and bring with us, just so I make sure we don't forget anything any day. I think I have everything, and I did a test-pack tonight and everything seemed to fit, but I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything! It's our first trip with a child, so I don't want to overlook something important!

Oh, and we're trying to take only one backpack with us, so there's some adult stuff on this list as well. The camera stuff is marked SLR only because I don't intend on taking the SLR with us every day, but when I do have it I will want those things with us.

ETA: DD is 7.5 months old. She is eating solids, but we plan on taking midday breaks, so I was just going to keep the solid food stuff at the hotel.

Clothing:
Pants (2)
Onesies (2)
Socks (2)
Leg Warmers
Sun hat
Sunglasses
Blanket

Pumping Gear: (I exclusively pump for DD, so this is the stuff I need for that)
Ameda Pump
Pump Parts
Pump & Save bags
Cleaning Wipes
Nursing Cover
Hands free bra

Feeding:
Bottles (3)
Bottle Collars (3)
Bottle Rings (3)
Bibs (2)
Burp Cloths (2)
Nipples (3)
Gas Drops
Bottle Soap (travel size)

First Aid:
Thermometer
Infant Acetaminophen
Nasal Aspirator
Band-Aids
Hand Sanitizer
Infant Sunscreen

Camera
Camera (SLR or P&S)
Extra Battery
Extra Memory Card
50 mm lens (SLR only)
70-200mm lens (SLR only)
Filters (SLR only)
Step up ring (SLR only)

Miscellaneous
Scattergories travel cards (in-line game)

Skip Hop Pronto Changer (not in the backpack, but will stay with the stroller and has a built in changing pad)
Diapers
Wipes
Desitin
Plastic bags (for disposal)

Stroller Cooler (comes with our rental, will stay with stroller)
Breast milk (enough for 3-4 meals)
Frozen ice packs

What am I missing?

Not sure how old your LO is, but will you need teething tablets (if you use them)? Another thing i keep in my diaper bag is gallon size ziolock bags, in case you have to change LO, you have some place to put messy/dirty clothes.

When is your trip? And how old is baby? You listed leg warmers so I assume you anticipate it will be chilly, in that case a light jacket or a bundle me to go on the stroller?
If you plan to wash the bottles (bringing dish soap) then you would need a bottle brush and probably a gallon size baggie to store it in when wet.

I would skip the scattergories cards. There is so much to look at in the queues that you would be missing out to be playing a card game! Leave those in the room so you have something to do while the baby is sleeping and you are still awake :)

I might bring a small baby powder also, even if you don't use it regularly. It might be hot (again depending on when you are going) and it would be nice and soothing and probably help prevent a little heat rash inside the elbows, knees, diaper area, etc.

Do you ever wear the baby? If so, bring your carrier along. And if you have a favorite toy that can be clipped to the stroller, bring that too.

OH and is baby old enough to sit in a high chair during meals? Bring some of those stick-on disposable place mats! And snacks, if age appropriate (puffs, yogurt melts).

Enjoy!

Not sure how old your LO is, but will you need teething tablets (if you use them)? Another thing i keep in my diaper bag is gallon size ziolock bags, in case you have to change LO, you have some place to put messy/dirty clothes.

DD has little buds, but no teeth have poked through yet and she hasn't shown any discomfort. So aside from the occasional teething ring, we haven't used any teething tablets or anything yet. She likes to chew on her thumbs more than anything. I should put a teething ring on the list, though, and the ziplock bags are a great idea!

merbobear said:
When is your trip? And how old is baby? You listed leg warmers so I assume you anticipate it will be chilly, in that case a light jacket or a bundle me to go on the stroller?

Our trip is in about a week, and DD is 7.5 months old. I'm sorry I left that info out! I do anticipate it'll be chilly at night, but the leg warmers are more listed because we plan to wear her in our beco carrier a decent amount, and I bought some BabyLegs Cool that have UV protection. They're made of a mesh to help keep her cool, but yet still covered.

If you plan to wash the bottles (bringing dish soap) then you would need a bottle brush and probably a gallon size baggie to store it in when wet.
That was a last minute addition, and I'm still thinking about that one. It was more of a "Just in case we need to feed her one more time than we thought" before heading back to the hotel, but I'm thinking we'll be fine without it in the bag.

I would skip the scattergories cards. There is so much to look at in the queues that you would be missing out to be playing a card game! Leave those in the room so you have something to do while the baby is sleeping and you are still awake

These I was more intending for my nephews that are coming with us. They are 6 and 3 and I was thinking it would help keep them occupied at times. They don't take up much space, so if we don't use them that's OK. If we end up not using them on the first day we're touring, I'll leave them in the hotel the rest of the days :)

I might bring a small baby powder also, even if you don't use it regularly. It might be hot (again depending on when you are going) and it would be nice and soothing and probably help prevent a little heat rash inside the elbows, knees, diaper area, etc.

Good idea, thanks! We've never used baby powder, so I wouldn't have thought about it

Do you ever wear the baby? If so, bring your carrier along. And if you have a favorite toy that can be clipped to the stroller, bring that too.
We do plan to bring it, I just wasn't thinking about it for the checklist...but I should probably put it on there just to make sure :)

OH and is baby old enough to sit in a high chair during meals? Bring some of those stick-on disposable place mats! And snacks, if age appropriate (puffs, yogurt melts).

She's not sitting on her own quite yet...she's almost there, but not enough for a high chair yet. One of us will probably end up holding her during meals. It's a good thing we'll have 6 adults with us :D

Thank you for the great ideas! This is exactly what I need :D

Have you used those microwave sterilizer bags for pump and bottle components? they are easily packable and each is good for 20 uses...

We have one of those skip hop changers, too. I plan on keeping ours in my backpack. In the off chance someone walks off with our stroller (whether by accident or on purpose), I don't want to suddenly be without our day's supply of diapers!

I may be a little untrusting of people... lol

Have you used those microwave sterilizer bags for pump and bottle components? they are easily packable and each is good for 20 uses...

We will be bringing them on the trip, but I wasn't going to bring them in the park. The pump parts need to be sterilized once/day, and our hotel has microwaves in the laundry room so we'll just sterilize when we get back to the hotel each night. In the parks we're planning on using the medela pump cleaning wipes.

I like to take a few hand wipes in case I need them for a diaper change (i.e., diaper disaster and I need to change the baby right away and I'm not near a sink to wash my hands after).

Also, will you always go to the baby centers to pump? If not, you may need the battery pack and extra batteries for the pump.

I like to take a few hand wipes in case I need them for a diaper change (i.e., diaper disaster and I need to change the baby right away and I'm not near a sink to wash my hands after).

Also, will you always go to the baby centers to pump? If not, you may need the battery pack and extra batteries for the pump.

I can't believe I forgot to put the batteries on there! Yes, I plan on carrying one extra set with me, and having another set in the hotel!

ETA: DD is 7.5 months old. She is eating solids, but we plan on taking midday breaks, so I was just going to keep the solid food stuff at the hotel.
I would bring some things with you anyway you never know breaks may not be necessary one day and you would be stuck without.

Clothing:
Pants (2)
Onesies (2)
Socks (2)
Leg Warmers
Sun hat
Sunglasses
Blanket

Pumping Gear: (I exclusively pump for DD, so this is the stuff I need for that)
Ameda Pump
Pump Parts
Pump & Save bags
Cleaning Wipes
Nursing Cover
Hands free bra

Feeding:
Bottles (3)
Bottle Collars (3)
Bottle Rings (3)
Bibs (2)
Burp Cloths (2)
Nipples (3)
Gas Drops
Bottle Soap (travel size)
I love the playtex drop-ins with the stretch over bags for travel you don't need to bring as may bottles because you throw away the liner and nipples are easy to wash the stretch over ones you don't have to worry about crushing and you could eliminate 2 bottles 2 collars and 2 rings.

First Aid:
Thermometerthese dont take up a ton of room but they are not necessary the first aid station has them and it is a free service..
Infant Acetaminophen
Nasal Aspirator
Band-Aids
Hand Sanitizer
Infant Sunscreen

Camera
Camera (SLR or P&S)
Extra Battery
Extra Memory Card
50 mm lens (SLR only)
70-200mm lens (SLR only)
Filters (SLR only)
Step up ring (SLR only)

Miscellaneous
Scattergories travel cards (in-line game)

Skip Hop Pronto Changer (not in the backpack, but will stay with the stroller and has a built in changing pad)
Diapers
Wipes
Desitin
Plastic bags (for disposal)

Stroller Cooler (comes with our rental, will stay with stroller)
Breast milk (enough for 3-4 meals)
Frozen ice packs

What am I missing?

Zip lock bags are good for dirty cloths but the bags that you use for diaper disposal work too.

They make a stroller strap or sippy cup strap that we use to keep toys attached to the stroller it is a huge help.

I also love disposable bibs for travel.

You mentioned laminating your list which is a great idea.

One thing I do is before leaving is wrap a couple of feet of masking tape around the end of a permanent marker and toss it in my make-up bag. You never know when you'll need a marker and it's great to have access to the tape without packing a whole roll.

When I get to the resort I tape my list to the back of the resort room door and it stays there all week. It's a great way to keep organized and not stress about remembering everything.

I also have a list that I break into 3 pieces:
1. What to take to the park each day
2. What to do each evening
3. What to do each morning

I tell you, this list has been a lifesaver!!

The packing list is individual to each person but samples of my evening stuff are:
1. download pictures
2. plug in iPod
3. plug in cell phone
etc..

The packing list for the morning is things like:
1. put SD card back into camera
2. put batteries back into camera
3. put camera in back-pack.
etc.

I know the morning routine is super detailed but never once have I gotten to the park only to realize that my SD card is back in the room. It could still happen but this helps.

One last tip, I take a power bar to charge things all in one place.

I know this isn't specific to your request but thought it might help a bit as I can tell you're super organized.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter