What airport should I fly into for DL?

I believe Ontario is actually the closest, however there are not as many flight options as LAX. We recently arrived at LAX for our first trip in Dec and it worked out fine. I think total drive time to the resort from the airport was 30 minutes or so. ...

On our last two trips, we've flown into Orange County airport (SNA, John Wayne). It was a breeze, and I think it's the closest airport, about 10-12 miles from DL.

SNA is definitely the closest. Avoid LAX. Fly John Wayne!

I have flown LAX four times in the last year with no problems. Not sure why people say to avoid it, we have had good luck.

lildeb724,

SNA (a.k.a. John Wayne, Santa Ana, or Orange) is the closest (14 miles); it's very convenient, no doubt, but flights into it do tend to be more expensive.

Long Beach (LGB) is the second closest (19 miles). It's a small airport, it seems fairly convenient, and I think JetBlue has non-stop flights from JFK to LGB.

LAX and Ontario (ONT) are about 35 miles. Many people don't like LAX because it's a big hassle of an airport. But it's probably similar to JFK, so I would still go there if the price were right.

Burbank (BUR) is 42 miles and you would have to deal with way too much traffic; for most people it's Right Out! :)

HTH! :)

ETA: I should have mentioned, the miles listed above are approximate "driving miles" -- according to Google Maps, i.e., LGB to "1313 South Harbor Blvd, Anaheim."

I have flown LAX four times in the last year with no problems. Not sure why people say to avoid it, we have had good luck.

If you compare the hassle of getting in and out of LAX to a smaller airport like John Wayne...it is like night and day! SNA is a breeze. So quick to get in and out of. And add the quickness of driving from SNA to Disneyland. The best. Nice, quick drive.

We just got back from DL on the 31st of JAN. We flew out of LAX on Southwest it was a Breeze!! Southwest has the first several gates as you leave security.

However if I needed to rent a car I would fly into Burbank, they have car rental desks in the terminal!! The other airports do not.

If you compare the hassle of getting in and out of LAX to a smaller airport like John Wayne...it is like night and day! SNA is a breeze. So quick to get in and out of. And add the quickness of driving from SNA to Disneyland. The best. Nice, quick drive.

I guess we have been lucky with no hassles then. I think we will give SNA a try this next trip just to compare.

we went twice and flew into LB and loved it both times and doing again this year for Christmas :santa:

Another vote for LGB - it's actually about 14 miles from DL as the crow flies. That's taking Wardlow Road, which becomes Ball Road when you cross into Orange County. JetBlue uses LGB.

SNA is a good option too, I'm not knocking it.

We have experienced LAX - 4 times, SNA - 2 times and highly recommend SNA! It is a much smaller airport and no hassles. The wait time at security is non-existent! If the price isn't bad, choose SNA!

I guess we have been lucky with no hassles then. I think we will give SNA a try this next trip just to compare.

What were the security lines like at LAX?

We just got back from DL on the 31st of JAN. We flew out of LAX on Southwest it was a Breeze!! Southwest has the first several gates as you leave security.

However if I needed to rent a car I would fly into Burbank, they have car rental desks in the terminal!! The other airports do not.

What were the security lines like at LAX for you? Also, I'm pretty sure most airports have car rental desks. I know for the fact SNA does because we rented a car last time. The desks are near the luggage carousel and right behind the huge statue of John Wayne. All you have to do is basically walk across the street for your car.

If the prices of tickets were equal, I'd choose these airports in this order:

SNA: closest & easy check-in/baggage claim
LB: easiest check-in/baggage claim
LAX/Ontario

Orange County/John Wayne is the closest. I am hoping to fly into there for my sister's graduation in May.

Thanks for reassuring me about LAX not being that bad. We always fly into SNA but this time I got SUCH a good deal into LAX that I went for it.

We've found SNA super easy to get in and out of - the rental cars are in terminal and the terminal itself isn't very big. We'll always look to go there first, but I'm hopeful that LAX will be just fine, too.

Have a great trip!

I fly into LAX every Sunday and out every Thursday (unfortunately, not for trips to DL), and yes LAX is/can be a pain, but it really depends on a lot of variables. The time you fly in and out being the biggest factor. Sunday evenings, Monday mornings and Fridays are the worst as you are competing with business travelers. Summer is much worse for obvious reasons. The airline you fly is also another variable. Some are better at getting your checked luggage down to baggage claim while others you will wait literally an hour! Traffic in and around the airport is horrible, especially at the times that I've listed above, if you are renting a car all of the agencies are off-site and you will have to take a shuttle to get to the lots. If you plan you can make this really work to your advantage, I can get in and out of the airport in 15 minutes (I don't have checked luggage). Driving to DL is fairly easy, but be sure to have a few routes because traffic can be horrible and you could potentially sit on the freeway for a very long time (I suggest staying off the 405 and heading south)

As far as SNA is concerned, I have found it to be more expensive and the flight times aren't always convenient. But, it is the closest, it is easy to get in and out of, luggage is a breeze etc etc etc. The one thing about SNA is the take off - if you have not done it, it is quite different because of the noise abatement in Orange County. Most good pilots will warn you of this, because it is a very odd feeling; however I have been on flights where they have not and people freak out on the plane.

I cannot comment on LB as I've never flown, and the same for Ontario; however I don't feel comfortable in Ontario and so I don't believe I would recomend it for that reason. Burbank is small and great airport- but it is quite far, distance wise and probably time wise; however DL would be a straight shot down the 5. If I could fly into Burbank I would in a heartbeat, but flight times are inconvenient...

Regardless any of the airports are relatively close....in LA terms :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter