What ages for character meals?

adoptivemomx2

Mouseketeer
What are good ages for character meals? My DD9 and DS9 aren't into characters that much, but I don't want to have regrets about not taking them. I also don't want them to be years older than anyone else in the restaurant and feel weird about that. Thoughts?

What are good ages for character meals? My DD9 and DS9 aren't into characters that much, but I don't want to have regrets about not taking them. I also don't want them to be years older than anyone else in the restaurant and feel weird about that. Thoughts?

Uuuuuuuuuuuuh, 102? We love character meals. Our daughter 16 loves them. There are kids and adults of all ages. There may be a very few, far and in between kids that hate it. If you're concerned about that, play up the quality of the food that you're interested in, and it will all be on you.

well, it really depends on the person. I guess there's no way to know until you try it with your kids. They may think its dumb or they may think its awesome! My friend just joined me at DL for her son's 10th birthday and I suggested a character breakfast to start the day. Her son who has never expressed any interest in the characters LOVED it!! He really enjoyed meeting goofy and the others. We have the cutest pix of him giving pluto knuckles and hugging minnie. She was very surprised and thought at age 10 he'd be all and only about the rides but she was wrong :-)

Book one, try it, see how it goes...

Uuuuuuuuuuuuh, 102? We love character meals. Our daughter 16 loves them. There are kids and adults of all ages. There may be a very few, far and in between kids that hate it. If you're concerned about that, play up the quality of the food that you're interested in, and it will all be on you.

:thumbsup2:goodvibes

We love character meals too, we have girls who are 10 and 8 and want to do character meals every day of our trip. DH and I like the character meals as well because it allows our kids to see the characters without having to stand in the hot, long line in the parks...unless of course we see a character that we will not be seeing at a meal, then we will wait :goodvibes

I still enjoy character meals and I am 17 haha. Personally I would not go without having a little cousin with me (we tend to visit WDW with them). But at age nine I would totally go. If it doesn't end up being his thing blame it on the food (as previously stated), then it's NBD :) hope you have a fun trip!

My DD (08) says she's too old for the princesses, but my son (10) wants to go to Chef Mickey's! We're doing both because I want to see the princesses! lol!

I've been to Crystal Palace for breakfast with just me and my mom (and another trip, me and my boyfriend at the time). Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. We never felt out of place at all and I always have a blast as an adult.

I LOVE Crystal Palace before the park opens. It's always a highlight of my trip.

We have ADRs to try Tusker House and Ohana for breakfast this upcoming trip (Grandma and my 8 year old cousin) in addition to Crystal Palace.

My daughter is 10 and she's still really into the characters. We're going to Cinderella's Royal Table for the first time this trip and she's so excited. She also really wants to try out Chef Mickey's!

I think all ages! When we started going to WDW our youngest was 8 months and our oldest 4. That was four years ago, and they're excited again for this year. Even if they're not "into" a particular character it's still pretty neat for them and my kids, and others from what I see, seems to enjoy it. They'll chat and interact with them, sign a book and take a picture. It's a nice experience and one you shouldn't pass up entirely. I'd say go for it. Character meals we've done so far that we've enjoyed are:

1900 Park Fare
Cinderella's Royal Table
Crystal Palace
O'Hanas
Chef Mickey's

This year we have a repeat of of a couple from above plus trying lunch at Hollywood & Vine.

Have fun :woohoo:

When we booked our first trip for last March, both my kids (then aged 11 and 8) refused to do a character meal. They didn't want someone dressed up in a costume bothering them while eating. They were adamant about it, and since we did the QSDP it worked fine for us.

And then, we got to WDW and although we didn't actively seek out character meets, we were in the right place at the right time to meet Stitch. And Terk. And Flik. And Mickey and Minnie. And we saw parades and my daughter had a kiss blown to her by Cinderella. And by the end of the trip they made us PROMISE we'd have at least one character meal on our next trip.

So maybe you should book a meal and if they aren't into it, they can just eat. But I do regret not have a character meal because my kids regretted it once we were there.

Your kids won't be the oldest ones there. We always do at least one character meal, and at this point, everyone in our family is 21 or over. We're not even usually the only all-adult table there.

My DH and I would go to character meals even if we didn't have kids with us so, no, your kids wouldn't be the oldest. My DS is 11 and still enjoys the character meals. We even ate at the Castle last November and my DS liked it, although he claims to dislike the princesses.:rolleyes1 But, on the other hand, my niece just turned 10 and said that she doesn't want any character meals whenever they go back. It really depends on the kid. You could try one and see if they like it.

My daughters were 10 & 8 last fall during our trip. We scheduled several character meals. The really enjoyed Cinderella's dinner at 1900 Park the best this trip. The step-sisters & step-mom were the best! Highly recommend this character meal.

We also did a few geared more towards our DS3. And while he loved Pooh & Tigger a little more enthusiastically than the girls, they jumped right up for the photos & a hug!

Ok, y'all have totally talked me into doing i!. Now I just have to figure out which one. :confused3

You've gottem ME excited about going! :yay:

My kids still love the character meals. our girls are 14 & 12. Our son (8) likes anything but the Princesses! :rotfl2:

we just went to Crystal Palace in Jan. The kids asked to go back to Chef Mickey...

My daughter is 10 and I asked her what she thought. She said a couple of character experiences are fun because the characters are entertaining. She said she did not find they bothered you at all. She thinks that Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto are must sees. Tigger and Goofy are fun for boys as they steal hats etc. She also liked 1900 Park fare.... but that is because the ugly step sister danced with her brother. He is a year older and although he was embarassed at the time, he enjoyed the attention and still talks about it.

We are going this year and she requested Crystal Palace for breakfast but now has added that she hopes to bump into Mickey, Minnie and Ariel... who has always been her favourite princess.

My son said he doesn't care but he said that last time. However, when we got there he enjoyed it every bit as much as his sister.

I guess you never know until you try!

oh and I see plenty of single people and couples doing character meals. With cameras ready and not a child in sight. And someone I know :rolleyes1 turning 40something requested Chef Mickeys for her birthday breakfast last year.

My 19 year daughter still loves them. My 12 year old son could skip.

I think that there's no age that is too old for character meals, BUT if they aren't really into characters I might spend my time and money elsewhere.

Having said that though, my kids all enjoyed our lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table, even my son who is 1) too boyish for princesses and 2) prior too our trip, too cool for disney and meeting characters. He willingly posed with all all the princesses and really loved decorating his own dessert. All of my girls were totally into it. :)

I was surprised that my soon to be 8 year old requested breakfast with Tigger again. I obliged. We are also eating at Akershus for my daughter (and for a certain mom).

On our last trip we had 6 adults (and 2 kids, ages 5 & 2) and honestly we loved the character meals. I would at least consider one and maybe 1900 Park Fare - I think your kids would like that one. The stepsisters and stepmother are FUN!

My DH and I went to plenty of character meals as a couple before we had kids. It's so much fun! Now, we get to take our 7 year old twins on their first trip and we are hitting almost every character meal. They are so excited to see all their favorite Disney friends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter