• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What age to take kids for first time?

Thanks to all of you for the input. I have no intention of taking the newborn(2 weeks old yesterday) now. In fact the soonest we will try to go with the entire family is 2006 ( 3 and 1), and even then the little one may stay behind.

We will be regular visitors to WDW, so we are not looking for the TRIP OF A LIFETIME, but hopefully the first of many. My DW and I are hooked, and we hope our kids will feel the same way.

We took our DD for the first time when she was 2. People thought we were crazy. We got the whole "she'll never remember it" line, too. WRONG! We took her again when she was 4 and she blew us away talking about all she remembered from last time. We leave in June for our next trip with DD, now 7,and our DS, 11 months. It will be more work with an infant but we are also bringing my MIL to help out. That might be an option for anyone concerned about taking little ones.

My dd was 3.5 last trip and I think she was the PERFECT age!!! She remembers the tiniest little details as if they happened yesterday (and they aren't on the videos or in the pictures). And she was such a huge Princess fanatic that the look on her face when she saw "real" princesses was worth every penny. Of course my ds was only 5 months that trip and everyone thought we were nuts. He was good as gold though, and no, he has no clue he was there but now at age 2 he is looking at the pictures and saying "me-baby" and its helping to familiarize him with it before our next trip. I just had issues leaving him behind, I couldn't go on a "family" vacation without a member of our family.

We took our DS at 21 months and he had a blast and so did we. We knew that we would be making multiple trips to WDW over the years so it didn't really matter than he doesn't really remember it. We have those memories and let me tell you they are priceless. Apparently he got something good out of it because when he sees the WDW commercials he really wants to go. :) One advantage of taking him before 3 is that he was free in the parks and a buffet restaurants.

We are going back this December and DS will be 3 1/2 and DD will be 10 months. I know that DS will have a great time and I think DD will as well. 10 months is a pretty good age because they can't get around that much but they are still old enough to react to music, etc..

Two years old is great--My son went to Disney the first time when he was 7 months old he is currently 22 months old and has been back to Disney 2 more times at 15 months and at 19 months we are going again in May and he will be just shy of 2. Each trip has been a new experience he loves the characters he has a great time at the pool and he has even fallen asleep on the rides. If you wait until the "perfect age" there will always be a reason to wait another year. Life is to short enjoy the time at Disney with your son and have a great time.

Going for Mothers Day what a present

:cheer2: :cheer2:

I took my first Dd when she was 22months, and my second Dd had her first trip when she was 17months. They both had a great time! We are going again this month and it will be my first Dd's 3rd trip, she is 4 years old now. I dont care if they don't remember, I remember! I have lots of wonderful memories of our trips.

I have been saving up for this trip this month ever since I became pregnant that was 5 years ago. Our DS is now 4 1/2 years old and he KNOWS where is going. He is so cute telling us what rides he wants to go on and what characters he wants to see. I wanted him out of diapers and preschool has helped him be patient in line. We are planning alot more Disney trips so this is not once in a life time. I wanted to go before he hits school and have to go during school vacations. :teacher:

2 more weeks :wave: :earboy2: :earseek:

My kids first trip was when they were 2 1/2 and 3 1/2. It was a lot of fun, but you need to have "toddler expectations." Its also a lot of work. And you'll waste incredible amounts of time if you were used to the commando style.

We went again right after their 4th and 5th birthdays. Still a lot of fun - though some of my daughter (the younger one's) adorableness had worn off - I'm so glad I have those pictures of her hugging Tigger at two. On the other hand, my son (the older one) had outgrown his "character anxiety" so it was a lot more fun to get photos of him around characters.

We will go this year again- they will have turned six and seven. I'm anticipating a whole different trip again.

The first time we took our ds was age 3, he enjoyed it, but was very disappointed when there were rides he was not tall enough for. His frustration made the time very difficult.

Go for it, the memories and the pictures you will get will be priceless!!:cool1:

We took our ds' at ages 2 & 4. they had a blast and so did dh and I

Well, I have to say that I never thought to take my kids sooner than now. I live far away (Utah) from WDW its going to be the "trip of a lifetime" because it will be the only time for a long time I am sure. My parents took me to WDW when it first opened and I was 6 months. Have to say don't remember a thing 30 years later. :sad2: I was 5 when they took me to DL. Just remember "it's a small world" and the firework show. :) I have not been back since. My Dd's are 7 and 9. Hopefully the perfect age. Checked their height and they can ride everything :goodvibes Anyway! HI everybody I am new and hooked! :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter