What %age of seats are saved for PS??

LglBlonde

DIS Veteran
I ask b/c we had PS at Ohana and also at Spoodles as well as other places. Those two in particular - we tried to move the PS to a later time and were told they were fully booked. When we arrived, the restaurants had plenty of EMPTY tables. At Spoodles, it was probably only 1/3 full.

I imagine they save some %age of seats for walkups?? Maybe it varies per restaurant?

All tables are "saved" for priority seatings, as far as I've heard.

This is a great question. I did notice last summer that there were some empty tables when we had a PS. What time of year did you notice this at Ohanas and Spoodles.

I'm wondering if a lot of people make PS's and don't show up or make PS's at several places on the same day "just in case." I did have some PS's last year that I didn't go to because of the "difficulty" of traveling with in-laws.

I would say make PS's for a later time, and then show up early to see if they can fit you in.

I've also heard of people calling that morning for a PS. Does anyone know how effective that would be?

On my past trip in May, I had no luck getting any PS's the morning I wanted them. We drove down and were making good time. I knew we woud be able to go somewhere for dinner afterall, so I called CRO and couldn't get a PS for that night for anything I wanted. Then again, on another trip (in October) I decided to try for dinner at Chef Mickey's while I was at the park in the afternoon. I got a PS just a few hours before without a problem. I guess you just never know. I wouldn't chance going to a restaurant without a PS unless there are other places nearby you know you can get in at (like counter service).

At least some restaurants (CRT) don't hold any.

I doubt most restaurants hold any tables if they can get them in PS. But I have no doubts that there is a rate of no-shows - and that some restaurants have a higher no-show rate. Hotel restaurants would strike me as likely to have a higher no show rate - because you have to leave the fun you are having earlier to get there.

Another thing is that a half full restauarant doesn't mean they aren't "full" In addition to tables, there needs to be staff. We usually travel in early October - just prior to when F&W used to start, so pretty quiet in the restaurant World - and have been seated in half full restaurants with people waiting for tables.

Over 100% of the seats are saved for PSs.

How do they get over 100%?

After taking into acount the number of meals that can be
served at once they add an allocation for the expected number of no-shows, which varies by the time of year (about 30% in slow times and 10% during busier times if my memory serves me correctly)

Remember that a Priority Seating is not the same as a traditional restaurant reservation where (usually) a table is reserved/saved for your party. A Disney PS means that you are supposed to get the next available table appropriate for your party.

That's all fine and dandy, but I don't think any of it addresses my inquiry as to why I was told there were no later PS for either of these dates, and then I came to the restaurant and they had MANY available tables, and continued to have many available tables the entire time I was there. The only explanation close to making sense to me is that people make PS's who never intend to show up.

Perhaps the replies didn't answer all your questions, but I was attempting to point out that the tables were not empty because they were being held for people with priority seatings. The Disney system just doesn't work that way.

It may have been due to staffing, as someone referenced above. If they only have enough servers scheduled to wait on half the tables, perhaps they wouldn't book or seat any others? With so many WDW policies, there doesn't seem be rhyme or reason to us, but I'm sure they make perfect sense to the CMs and are important to the logistical programs WDW has in place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter