What age..no more stroller

I don't chime in much, but its comments like this that make me nervous about having my 9 year old ride in a stroller when we go in March. To everyone that sees my child you would think that she is a perfectly healthy girl...except she has a Mitochondrial Disease..which is a disease that effect how the body process and uses energy. She tires very quickly and if we let her overwork her body her blood sugars will spike and drop, her GI system will start acting up and she will end up with severe muscle pains in her legs. Of course we have been waiting on insurance to approve her medical stroller, but we will not have it in time for our vacation. Just please don't think that all parents are lazy and don't want to watch there kids...I would love more than anything to not have to lug a stroller around!!

Of course you shouldn't feel nervous about using a stroller in this kind of circumstance. Part of the problem is that SO many healthy older children are being pushed around in strollers that it's hard not to be shocked by the sheer volume. In my hometown, if I saw an older child in a stroller, my first thought would be that the child probably had a medical issue. At Disney World, as is evidenced by this thread, there are lots of older kids that are still being pushed around in a stroller because it's more convenient for their parents.

Because no normal 4 year old gets in miles and miles of walking in a given day...like they would be looking at doing in WDW.
WDW is a massive place and most 4 year olds cant keep up and most still take naps...and the stroller is a nice place for a nap when in the parks.
My DD4 doesnt use a stroller around town, shopping, or taking walks around our block...but none of those things equal a day (or weeks) worth of WDW touring!

Actually, I'd want to be in a stroller for touring like this, as well. ;) I have taken a four year old without a stroller and we wouldn't walk miles and miles nor would we tour from rope drop to fireworks. It's vacation not the Disney World Death March. For us, it was pretty easy to go without a stroller when dd was 4 by going at her pace, stopping to smell the roses and resting/having a Mickey bar, and going back to the room for a rest in the afternoons. Walking miles and miles and having my kid nap uncomfortably in a stroller wouldn't have worked well for us.

It all depends on how you tour but I often see parents asking about strollers being advised that the trip is impossible without a stroller and it's just not true for everyone.

I certainly do not point or make comments to anyone but my companion. It's simply the strange things that you notice. Like last time I was at Disney, I noticed what seemed to be a preponderance of redheads, but I notice because I'm a redhead.

And I am surprised that you would include zoos in your assessment. Certainly a child should be able to walk around the entirety of the St. Louis zoo because it is simply not that large of an area even if you are trying to see everything. If you are going to count zoos, it seems almost all activities will be included. But my observations were also made in the park. I think of parks as places to get physical activity, not to push your child around avoiding physical activity. Also St. Louis is not exactly a big tourist destination, and being a friendly person, I have chatted to many people at the zoo and never spoke to anyone from further than an hour drive away.

You've never been to the Cincinnati Zoo in the summer then. Hilly as all get out and pretty good size.
I know lots of people from around here who go to St. Louis. It's within a day's drive and people apparently like that big arch or something.

I'm just gonna assume you don't have kids and move on. One day, you'll get it... :rolleyes:

Sounds like a horrible use of time at WDW, pointing fingers at other people who dare parent in a different manner than you do. :sad2:

Oh, but I get the impression, reading the person's post, that this person spends a lot of time judging others' parenting everywhere, not just at Disney. Why change things up just because you're on vacation?

Oh, but I get the impression, reading the person's post, that this person spends a lot of time judging others' parenting everywhere, not just at Disney. Why change things up just because you're on vacation?

Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, at one time or another has seen a parent do something and made a judgment about it. Everybody can pretend that they never, ever make a judgment about how somebody else is treating their kids or what they're doing with them, or we can just be honest about it.

I see kids in Disney who are far, far, far to old to be in strollers who are just stuffed in a stroller, not because they need it, but because parents don't want to deal with them. It's easier then holding their hand, walking with them, and keeping an eye on them. It means they can commando through the park without having to hear about how people are tired or that they want to break. If I were a parent with a 4 or 5 year old, or older, in a stroller I would be embarrassed because there is no reason that they can't walk Disney especially with all the chances one has to sit and rest.

One of the things my other half said was "I wonder how many of these kids get yelled at at home for being too off-the-wall and not settling down but they get put in a stroller because the parents think walking is just too much for them?" Kids are active, they can walk Disney, especially when they're of an age where they wouldn't get a stroller when they go anywhere else.

I just got back and my 5yr old grandson did fine without a stroller.. I would say you tired? You want to go back to the hotel? needless to say we closed MK at 1am one night...sooooo if you don't have the stoller they will live without it.

Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, at one time or another has seen a parent do something and made a judgment about it. Everybody can pretend that they never, ever make a judgment about how somebody else is treating their kids or what they're doing with them, or we can just be honest about it.

I see kids in Disney who are far, far, far to old to be in strollers who are just stuffed in a stroller, not because they need it, but because parents don't want to deal with them. It's easier then holding their hand, walking with them, and keeping an eye on them. It means they can commando through the park without having to hear about how people are tired or that they want to break. If I were a parent with a 4 or 5 year old, or older, in a stroller I would be embarrassed because there is no reason that they can't walk Disney especially with all the chances one has to sit and rest.

The difference being most of us don't waste huge parts of our day looking to make comments about other people and how they parent. You seem to be looking for people to mock.

And how on earth you do know by looking at a child why they are in that stroller? You don't, you just like to think you do. What a waste of a Disney vacation, spending all that time and energy judging people you don't know.

I would be embarassed if I were you. A parent with a child in a stroller has no need to feel embarassed.

I haven't read this whole thread, but to the OP's original question, I think it's more about your child's "stage" rather than age. My kids are girls and they thoroughly enjoy getting cozy in our double jogger at night. Last trip at age 7, we left the jogger in the room during the morning and daytime, but took it out at night when we strolled around a park. Once it got dark, my kids loved to get cozy in the jogger. If it's cool outside, we have a couple blankets packed and they giggle and get cozy....it's really a fun time for all of us, not really about pushing a stroller, but more about the kids being comfortable and able to have fun even after a long tiring day.

One of the things my other half said was "I wonder how many of these kids get yelled at at home for being too off-the-wall and not settling down but they get put in a stroller because the parents think walking is just too much for them?" Kids are active, they can walk Disney, especially when they're of an age where they wouldn't get a stroller when they go anywhere else.

But you're NOT a parent of a 4 or 5 year old, so.....:rolleyes1

I'm gonna give you the line my sister always gives me "you'll understand when____________."

You haven't gotten to that "when" yet. The older you get and the older your child gets, the less judging you will do of others. Bless your heart.:sad2:

The difference being most of us don't waste huge parts of our day looking to make comments about other people and how they parent. You seem to be looking for people to mock.

Um, I don't waste "huge parts of my day." When you walk from point A to point B, when you wait in a line, when you sit down to dinner, you notice things. It doesn't take huge parts of the day out to notice what others aroudn you are doing.

And how on earth you do know by looking at a child why they are in that stroller? You don't, you just like to think you do. What a waste of a Disney vacation, spending all that time and energy judging people you don't know.

Well, you see on here people saying they have perfectly able-bodied kids they put in strollers because it's easier. You see adults there tell kids who are running about to just go sit in the stroller. You see kids, perfectly fine, walking about the park in one area, then sitting in the stroller the next. You see kids, obviously too big for umbrella and baby strollers, stuffed into them int he most awkward of ways. A child who NEEDS a stroller won't be crammed into one that is obviously too small for them. They also won't be closer to being a teen in age then being an infant.

And again, it's not a waste of anything. It's not like I go looking for these people, they present themselves on their own while I am doing other things.

I would be embarassed if I were you. A parent with a child in a stroller has no need to feel embarassed.

A parent with a child in a stroller, at its core, shouldn't feel embarassed. Strollers have a time, place, and an appropriate age and people who observe that have absolutely nothing to be embarassed about.

A parent with a child who's too old for a stroller? Yes, they should feel embarassed. Extremely embarassed. A 4 year old can walk. A 5 year old can walk. A 6 year old can walk. 5 and 6 is elementary school age in our area. Putting an elementary school aged child in a stroller, something designed for infants and toddlers, is absolutely something one should feel extremely embarassed to do.

But you're NOT a parent of a 4 or 5 year old, so.....:rolleyes1

You're right. I'm the parent of a 2 year old who doesn't use a stroller, and a step parent of a 4/5 year old and a 3 year old, neither of whom need strollers.

I'm gonna give you the line my sister always gives me "you'll understand when____________."

Which would be a great line, except for that I do have kids that age.

You haven't gotten to that "when" yet. The older you get and the older your child gets, the less judging you will do of others. Bless your heart.:sad2:

Actually, I find the fact that I have kids at this age makes me less tolerant of those who make excuses for their kids and what they "need." Before, if you'd told me that a 4 year old needs a stroller at Disney, I'd have said fine. Now that I have kids that age, I know it's not true. I know that kids, especially 4 and up, can walk just fine around the park. Save your blessings for people who have the kids who are apparently so fragile and delicate that they are put in strollers they're too old for because they just can't spare the basic energy that walking requires.

My kids were 4 and 7 on our last visit, and we did not use a stroller. They held up just fine. We stopped for a snack/drink/just to sit if they needed it, then started back up when they were ready. Our touring style probably plays a big role...we do make RD, but do not go commando rushing around all day. We do what we do, take it easy, and leave the parks for the day by 4PM to head back to the resort for a snack, swim, shower, then dinner either at a resort or DTD. In bed by 10 so we can start again fresh the next morning.

Well, you see on here people saying they have perfectly able-bodied kids they put in strollers because it's easier. You see adults there tell kids who are running about to just go sit in the stroller. You see kids, perfectly fine, walking about the park in one area, then sitting in the stroller the next. You see kids, obviously too big for umbrella and baby strollers, stuffed into them int he most awkward of ways. A child who NEEDS a stroller won't be crammed into one that is obviously too small for them. They also won't be closer to being a teen in age then being an infant.

When did doing something because it's easier become a crime? Why does it make someone a horrible parent because they'd like to tour a bit longer, see a few more attractions, or just relax a bit more because they know their child is contained in a stroller?

My special needs almost 4 year old will be riding in a stroller in March. He needs it, both as a safe place (which is why we have stroller as a wheelchair) and because he isn't strong enough to walk the whole time. He'll probably look too big for it, because he doesn't use a stroller anywhere else, and we're bringing our smallest stroller to make it easy to manage on buses and things. And yes, it's nice and EASIER when he's sitting in it and I don't have to worry about him stopping every few feet, or trying to wander off. We're all on vacation, we all do things to make it easier, and we all get plenty of exercise (I'm running the Princess Half in a couple of weeks, my DD runs short races with me, and DS as I said only uses a stroller in Disney World).

I'm not martyring myself on the alter of perfect parenthood. I doubt most parents at WDW want to do that. There's nothing wrong with making things a bit easier and less stressful sometimes.

And having strangers act like they know more than the parents about what's best for THEIR family... Ugh. :mad: I'm so sorry I was ever like that.
LOL, people who have never had children always think they know everything about how to raise them.

So long as you aren't pointing and laughing at people, I think you're in the clear. :teeth:

Everyone does things differently. Some people raise children who think pointing and laughing at strangers in a public place is just peachy. Some parents would discourage that sort of behavior.

But we're all free to put healthy 12 year olds in strollers if we want to. And we're free to point and laugh at strangers.

I wouldn't want to do all the work involved with taking toddlers to WDW...but I don't think there is something wrong with people who do that, nor do I believe they should stop it because I wouldn't do it. (I kind of admire them for doing it, too.)

We all make our own decisions.

I haven't read this whole thread, but to the OP's original question, I think it's more about your child's "stage" rather than age. My kids are girls and they thoroughly enjoy getting cozy in our double jogger at night. Last trip at age 7, we left the jogger in the room during the morning and daytime, but took it out at night when we strolled around a park. Once it got dark, my kids loved to get cozy in the jogger. If it's cool outside, we have a couple blankets packed and they giggle and get cozy....it's really a fun time for all of us, not really about pushing a stroller, but more about the kids being comfortable and able to have fun even after a long tiring day.

This is exactly what I plan on doing next month. I was just going to rent one stroller and have my DD6 and DS5 share, but I know that is not going to work so well in the evenings, especially since I will be without DH on this trip

I agree that every kid is different. My DD is active, but just doesn't do well if she has to walk for a long time. My DS would probably by fine. Usually we don't do much in the evening, but this trip we will be there for my niece's cheer/dance competition and there are some evening activiities that I would like to see. It is also going to be a very busy time of year and I will feel better knowing where the kids are at night!

The last time I went, my youngest were 5, 3 (nearly 4), and 1. We brought two umbrella strollers. The 5 year old never used one, the 3 year old rarely used one, and the baby was in one most of the time. The older two did fine.

We've been going since my oldest was 10 weeks old (I had to attend a conference on property)...and have gone 8 times in 9 years since then...with stroller(s) every time.

Our kids have used the stroller pretty much until they turn 7. At 6, they rode...at 7, they walked.

This past trip (eldest was 9, my son was 7, and our youngest was 5) we only had ONE stroller. That was nice...

Next trip, in December, will be our last with a stroller (my youngest will have turned 6). I'm both looking forward to that (no more pushing the kids around) and dreading it (because, for all it's inconvenience, it did make a nice pack mule).

That's what works for us.

And to the OP....as for some of the ancillary conversations going on: Ignore the white noise. Look at your family, assess what you think will work best for them, and do that. That's what we do. Nobody is going to be as good at parenting your kids, and doing what is best for your kids, than you are...because you know them far better than anyone else does..and certainly better than anyone else posting in these forums would.

You're right. I'm the parent of a 2 year old who doesn't use a stroller, and a step parent of a 4/5 year old and a 3 year old, neither of whom need strollers.

Which would be a great line, except for that I do have kids that age.

Actually, I find the fact that I have kids at this age makes me less tolerant of those who make excuses for their kids and what they "need." Before, if you'd told me that a 4 year old needs a stroller at Disney, I'd have said fine. Now that I have kids that age, I know it's not true. I know that kids, especially 4
and up, can walk just fine around the park. Save your blessings for people who have the kids who are apparently so fragile and delicate that they are put in strollers they're too old for because they just can't spare the basic energy that walking requires.

How nice for you that you think your way of parenting is so perfect that you can cast judgement on others. Sheesh. You have no idea what anyone else needs by looking at them for a few seconds in time. And fwiw, having kids in a stroller is not easier, especially using Disney's transportation and having to remember when you parked it, etc.

I'm completely torn on this subject. We have a 5 and 3 year old going in May. My 5 year old is capable of the walking. We did it in October with no problems whatsoever. I'm pretty sure my 3 year old could handle it as well. DH doesn't seem to mind bringing a stroller along just to carry around all of our bags and stuff but I hate having to find stroller parking and deal with that. I just don't know.

Bring the stroller to Florida and leave it in your room the first day - see how it goes and make your decision for the rest of the trip after that. With all of the stopping for rides, shows, snacks and meals my 2.75 year old had no problems going without a stroller - most days he was racing us to the buses at the end of the day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter