What age..no more stroller

I don't think you should look at it as being "too old" more is it going to be best for your child. In 2008, my daughters were 8 and 4, they were in a double stroller. This was partly because they are both autistic and sometimes need a "safe place". If your child fits in one and you think it will be better for them, I don't see a problem with using strollers for any age.

Use your judgement on whether your child needs one. If you don't want people gawking and judging, just drape a towel over the front so people won't see who is in the stroller.

I am having the very same dilemma. My youngest will turn 6 just a couple weeks before our trip in August. My DH and I have decided to bring the stroller for ease of getting through the airport and then will decide day by day if we need to bring it to the parks. It is just an umbrella style stroller so it will fit neatly in a corner in the room. Good luck with your decision!! :thumbsup2

...Too old for the stroller?? Heck I'm 48 and I'm trying to get back in one myself! After all the planning and packing and herding for a Disney vacation I'm exhausted! I keep trying to convince my family that since I did all the work to get them there they should reciprocate by giving me a ride around the parks occasionally. No dice so far, but I'll keep you posted if that changes!

~Marlton Mom

Never did one after age 4.She walked no problem in the heat and humidity of September.We only have her though so it was easy and we were willing to take it slow for her.On most days she outlasted us

We took 2 with us last year for my DS's 7th b-day trip. We only used one the whole week. DS decided that he'd rather walk. This year we only took one for DD (5.5) and she used it 50% of the time. I made her get in it at night when the park closed. It made me feel better.;)

When we stop using the stroller, I'm going to have to re-think my bag packing strategy. There definitely won't be a cooler with us anymore. :goodvibes

I guess I am a sucker lol. DS is now 8. When we went last summer (he was 7 then) he still had a stroller. Don't get me wrong, I tried to make him walk, but there is a point at which the whining about the walking makes the trip miserable for both him, and the rest of us, so on the 2nd day of the trip, I got the stroller.

The previous year, DD's friend came along. She was 15, and had never done Disney World. A couple of days into the trip the shoes which she said were plenty comfortable enough for walking, had created some serious blisters on her feet. We got her fixed up with some mole skin, but she was pretty miserable. I wound up with her riding in the stroller, and my son on her lap :lmao:

That was a *bit* more than 50 lbs I was pushing around :rotfl::lmao::rotfl:

Now, at 8 years old, I firmly believe that my son is getting too old to be riding in a stroller, plus I've got a ruptured disc in my back, and pushing him around isn't getting any easier. I am HOPING that this year we will manage to ween him off it.

Our last trip my dd was almost 7 and we skipped it. The trip before she was 5 and we used one. Our last trip we had an 11 month old though so *she* was in the stroller and I don't own a double.
On our very first trip to disney my dd was 4 and my niece was almost 8 and we had a free rental of a disney double stroller and they both rode in it together a decent amount and it didn't seem weird at all. it would have felt weird to put an almost 8 year old in a regular stroller I think but the disney ones are more like kid carts.
We're going in May and will bring a stroller for our dd who will almost be 3. She is 2.5 now and we rarely use a stroller now(around town) - but definitely will at Disney. My other dd will be almost 9 and will have to walk.

My girls were about 7 because I just couldn't push a double anymore. I liked it because both would crash at night while walking around. I also liked it because I knew where they were at most times of the day. It also helped to have somewhere to store all of the stuff I packed for the park. I hate carrying a backpack now.

The last trip our 3rd dd used a stroller was the one where she had just tuned 7 that month. She was a tiny thing and we had bought a Mac Volo a couple of years before. She really only used it at night when she was worn down, or if I wanted to rush from one place to another and didnt want to drag her along:lmao: It was nice to have the stroller for her to rest in and at the end of the night...no one had to carry her sleeping to the busses:thumbsup2
Our 4th dd will have just turned 5 when we go again. We are taking our BJCM for her (she is a teeny tiny thing too) and I know everyone will be happier:thumbsup2
Do what is best for your children, OP, and dont worry about what others think...they dont have to deal with your kiddos!

There are so many variables, it's really impossible to pin an age on the time to stop using one.

Its so dependent upon your touring style, the child's ability to hold up under the rigors of theme park visits, safety, and all the other reasons previously stated. If you aren't sure, just test the waters by having them try walking but bring along an umbrella stroller or be prepared to grab a rental if needed.

There are no hard & fast answers to your question. I recommend doing whatever makes for the maximum enjoyment of all in your party.

Little buddy had to start hoofing it at 4. He never missed a beat and does not like the idea of getting lost or left behind so we never worried about him running off.

When in doubt bring the stroller. The last time we went my kids were 2, 4 and 5. We brought a light weight double stroller and a lightweight stroller that carries 55 lbs. Let's just say, my husband who was against it for the 4 and 5 year old was happy that I did. Although my older two did not use strollers at home, Disney World is huge and sometimes I wish I had a stroller at the end of the day. The kids fall asleep by the end of the night and it would have been impossible to carry them to the bus stop and then hold them while waiting for the bus to come.

My oldest will be 7 years old, so I will not bring a stroller for him, but I will bring one for the 4 year old and the 6 year old. My only quandry is whether we are going to bring a double stroller or two single light weight strollers.

But I agree with the some of the other comments, you know your child, so do what you think would make the experience the most enjoyable for you and your family.

5 years old was the last time we used a stroller for the kids.

That is also when I finally convinced my husband to start taking breaks during the day so we could go back to the room for naps and swimming.

Those first years were tricky if we wanted to stay in the parks at night. Then we'd occasionally have to rent a stroller for the evening because the youngest would be worn out but other than that it worked great going with no stroller.

Before even looking in this thread, when I saw the title, I immediately thought 5.

My family is a little scewed since we have 4 girls ages 4, 6, 8, 10. On our last trip we rented a double stroller for the 3 and 5 (at the time) year olds. Every so often the 8 year old would sit in there and we'd have to tell her to get up. So as you can see even 8 year old will get tired towards the end of the day (understandable.)

A stroller can be a hindrance, but it can also be a helpful item at the parks. For example, you can use it as cup holders or to store things while you're on rides (ponchos, things you've purchased.) I know they could be stolen (as well as your stroller) but we've never had anything taken from it. You can keep your sweatshirts and jackets there during the day and use them at night. Bla bla bla....

We just went in Jan and our son was 4 years 10 months. Hubby could not believe I was taking the stroller as he hasnt used it in 2 years and our son is very active but let me tell you we were so glad to have it...

Especially because DS was coming down with something while we were there. Luckily the kid is a trooper and he never Really got sick but that stroller was a lifesaver.

First day at AK it was really warm (80 degree and we were coming from 40 degrees) and I think he had a touch of heat stroke.

I especially was happy to have it on our second DHS days. We got to the park at 8:30 stayed till 1:30 then did 2-3 hours of swimming then DS and I ran back to use TSM fastpasses. Hubby was sick so stayed at the hotel. Well by closing DS was drained so happy to be able to let him jump in the stroller. He ended up falling asleep on the bus. There is no way I would have been able to carry a sleeping kid all the way back to the room. It was so nice to pop him in the stroller and roll him back. (btw he ended up jumping in bed and sleeping the entire night, very not like him lol).

Hubby is talking about going back when DS is 7 so we probably wont do a stroller then but DS and I want to go back before then or do Disneyland...probably next Jan so he would be a few months shy of 6. Not sure if I would do a stroller...it was nice for a cup holder and to put our stuff in.

Our DD just turned 7. She doesn't have the world's best endurance, but we always say that WDW is magic because she walks there without a complaint! Last spring break when she had just turned 6 we didn't bring a stroller for her, though we had one for her brother who was 2. She rode in it occasionally if he was walking. This Thanksgiving (she was almost 7, brother was 3) she didn't sit in it once. We're not at all a commando family, we hit rope drop but generally leave sometime in the early afternoon, coming back after a rest and swim if we feel like it and/or have an ADR, so that probably helps. All kids are different and touring styles are different. I remember on our first trip, when DD was 5, we had a sit and stand stroller and I felt like she hunkered down in it so much that she missed a lot, so I was glad to have her walking!

DS will be 4 in March and has various delays, some motor related, so we get a stroller as a wheelchair GAC for him. He walks pretty well but I wouldn't want to go without the stroller for him for a while. Plus he needs that safe place to relax while we're in lines or else he gets anxious and starts hitting me to make the lines go faster. :rotfl: His issue is that he's getting so tall I'm afraid he'll grow out of our Maclaren umbrella stroller, and then I'm not sure what we'll do!

We've been taking dd since she was 4 and we never once took a stroller. She hadn't used a stroller since she was 2; I think she would have been awfully offended at the idea of it at age 4. :lmao: We are not commando tourists, though, and went at her pace and took afternoon breaks. We had no problems at all. Frankly, there's no way I'd want to push an older kid around all day.

I do giggle when my now 21 yo dd grumbles like an elderly woman when she sees older kids in strollers. "What the heck is that about? When I was that age, I was WALKING the parks." I like to call her Grandma at that point and ask her what life was like in her day. ;)

We are still debating what to do on our May trip. DD will be 4 and DS will have just turned 7. I want to take just a single stroller to share between the two. DD is the type that will want to walk a lot and more like DS will be the one asking for a ride. (He does have issues with his legs.) DH thinks we need to bring 2 strollers because if DD is riding, DS will probably complain that he wants to ride. Not sure what we will do but at least bringing one stroller (MacClaren Volo). Any trip after this and I think we will be stroller-less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter