What age is too old to buy into DVC?

We just bought and I'm 39, DH 38. We sound very similar. I'm a Disney freak! DH, not so much. He doesn't love Disney but he does love a good vacation.

I've wanted to buy for years. We've done two tours and we just couldn't pass up this last promotion. I too, work in healthcare and DH is an engineer/manager. I bet we've had the exact conversations with our DHs. :)

At our last meeting with our financial planner, I asked about DVC. Her response? DO IT! She knew it wasn't for everyone, but said it would be good for US. She said, that for people who work so hard, it's a "forced vacation that's already paid for". She has been recently diagnosed with breast ca so I'm sure that plays into her advice. You and I both know that life can change in an instant.

Also, someone up thread mentioned grandkids. I actually hadn't thought of that. Think of all the memories you'll make with family and friends.

I was 50 when I first bought. Plan to use it for at least another 25 years or until I can't find my way around an airport!

My husband and I are both in our very early 40s and are just now buying. We had a contract in our hand back when we were renting and childless and even though there was more money then, we decided to wait until we had all of life's expenses on our monthly budget to be sure we could afford it.

I don't know how younger people do it, either. We have a 4 yr old who is our first, only, and last, so it's easier to budget the future. One college fund (if he's smart enough :goodvibes), one wedding, one first car, etc. We'll be dead before we have grandchildren.

I'm glad we waited. Renting points for years helped us understand how many we really needed and what we could afford to pay. We'll get at least 15-20 years out of it with him and many more when it's just us two again.

I bought 250 points in 2011 at the age of 56:) I have three college age children and I LOVE all things Disney as well as Florida. I have made three trips since I bought my points, and have three more planned over the next year. I am also planning to puchase BCV 100 points with my work bonus this year, as I have always loved that resort and want the home resort advantage for Food and Wine and Flower and Garden. My kids thought I was nuts until they all went on a family trip this past week. We had a blast, and my son is already planning his trip next year to Star Wars weekend with his friend. I am also looking forward to taking my grandchildren if I am blessed with some;)

Thank you all for the replies. I know I will be a DVCer eventually. ::yes:: I will keep saving in the meantime. I'm hoping I may get a bonus soon to add to my little nest egg. My younger daughter wants a Disney Beach Club vacation next year for her graduation gift. So do I buy before then or do I rent some points? Perhaps I should start playing the lottery and hope to hit it big...:rotfl:

My family sounds very similar to the original poster. I turned 40 recently, my husband is 45. The 'kids' are now 19 and 16. My husband can take or leave the holidays (mostly because we have had to travel in August due to UK School Holidays, and it is too hot for him), and the kids enjoy it, but I wondered how long it would be before they wouldn't want to go anymore.

My soul searching led me to these conclusions:
  • God willing, I will have another 25-30 good years of travel yet
  • Disney is my second home, and I would feel comfortable going for the odd week on my own if I had to
  • We will soon NOT be tied to school holidays and can go out of season, in cooler weather
  • The kids will get use out of this over the years with, or without us
  • It won't be that many years before we have some grandchildren to take

Frankly, I just persuaded myself! If you can save the money to do it, go ahead and treat yourself.

Anyone know the demographic breakdown on age of 1st DVC purchase?

i was wondering the same thing. my wife and i bought this year at age 32 but it would interesting to know how early of an age people buy into DVC.

My family sounds very similar to the original poster. I turned 40 recently, my husband is 45. The 'kids' are now 19 and 16. My husband can take or leave the holidays (mostly because we have had to travel in August due to UK School Holidays, and it is too hot for him), and the kids enjoy it, but I wondered how long it would be before they wouldn't want to go anymore.

SNIP
Frankly, I just persuaded myself! If you can save the money to do it, go ahead and treat yourself.

Hi, I bolded a part of your post. This is a link to a thread here on the Dis that you might find interesting.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2919934&highlight=children+still+love+disney

We bought a year and a half ago at age 49. Like others have said, it is generally a time when people can most affort to buy without financing.

Our daughters are 16 and 18 and absolutely love Disney. We did check with them before buying if it is something they wish to continue in the future and both were adamant that they hope to continue similar traditions of annual trips to WDW with their families.

DH and I look forward to our trips alone, spending some time at WDW while getting away from our cold winters up north. We hope to combine Disney vacations and beach vacations during the months of January and February.

I think the key for you is that your kids enjoy Disney. If your children were bored with it, I would say that you should rethink. If they enjoy going, I think you will be using your points on a yearly basis; as a family, as a couple or giving them to your kids they years you cannot go.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out the way you want.:)

i was wondering the same thing. my wife and i bought this year at age 32 but it would interesting to know how early of an age people buy into DVC.

I considered buying for the first time when I was 25, and finally bought it last month at the age of 27. It seems like I'm a rather young buyer based on this thread! What a surprise! Somehow I had imagined people buying earlier than what the thread suggests ;)

My rational is that if I'm going to buy in 5-7 years of time when I have kids, I should buy now and lock in the purchase price. We can then either go ourselves now or rent out points until we're ready. The numbers work out better this way as i'm not financing and assuming DVC purchase price increases faster than my salary in the next 5yrs, then buying today makes more sense.

I was 47 and my cradle robbed husband was 44 when we bought 15 years ago. Our son was four and he's nineteen now. And he still likes to go. We don't go as often, but we do have a mom and dad trip planned for Oct with our son and his friend joining us for about four of the nine nights. I think we are getting used to this empty nest stuff already.

:) Dh and I purchased in 2009 a the ripe old ages of 45 and 41 respectively. We were going to WDW every year and loved each trip with no plans to not go..ever. There are other places I want to travel to with him but he doesn't like to travel. Yet, he does love WDW. DVC has changed our trips in that we enjoy the amenities at the resorts more. His Mom and my parents now understand why we purchased as they have all gone with us at some point. It is just the way we wanted to spend our money. Neither or us have a real hobby, no children and we both work full time.

I am a nurse and he is a fireman with our city. We lost the contents of our home and community in Katrina, then his Dad to Cancer 5 weeks later. Once back on our feet, we jumped on a discount being offered direct. We have never looked back. Like you, I see life change in a moment...here and now, friends and family are more important these days than they were prior to 2005. DH had always loved Hummers....so after we lost a car in Katrina and he got through those first few weeks in our community.....we got him a H3, dang it...he deserved it. :thumbsup2

We just became members last month at BWV thru resale and I am 31 and hubby is 33. We have three small kids whom we have taken since they were 4 months old. We bought as soon as we could afford and when my in laws got cranky about sharing their DVC points as we have out grown a studio. They bought in 95' and are very frugal and they believe it was one of the smartest purchases they have ever made. They bought okw at $60 pt. It's going for nearly the same price on the resale market 17 years later. We only have 30 yrs left on ours so we hope the offer the extension to bwv like they did okw, we will only be in our early 60s when ours expires.

DH had always loved Hummers....so after we lost a car in Katrina and he got through those first few weeks in our community.....we got him a H3, dang it...he deserved it. :thumbsup2

Yes! I'd say he deserved it. Life is so short and we only live once! Glad you are enjoying DVC!

I was 47 and my cradle robbed husband was 44 when we bought 15 years ago. Our son was four and he's nineteen now. And he still likes to go. We don't go as often, but we do have a mom and dad trip planned for Oct with our son and his friend joining us for about four of the nine nights. I think we are getting used to this empty nest stuff already.

We will be empty nesters after next year and I have been so afraid of that day coming. Our lives have revolved around our very busy kids for so long...I cant imagine what life will be like when they are both gone. I can't imagine taking a Disney trip without them....hopefully won't have to. They love going!

I think I win this one...I am 24, my husband is 25. I wanted to buy in now so we could enjoy it for a few years before we have kids! We are also lucky to have enough disposable income now to pay the payments and kids are at least 5 years away.

I think I win this one...I am 24, my husband is 25. I wanted to buy in now so we could enjoy it for a few years before we have kids! We are also lucky to have enough disposable income now to pay the payments and kids are at least 5 years away.

I wish I could of afforded it when I was that age, but I was house poor.

I wish I could of afforded it when I was that age, but I was house poor.

We are renting until our lease is up in December, and planning on buying in the winter/spring, but the goal is to have our mortgage lower than our ridiculously high rent!

We bought in 2000 at age 57 & 58 Now have 1,000 points after two add ons. Wish we had another 1,000 The extended family have been on 6 DCL cruises and several trips to WDW. Best investment we ever made.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter