• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What age for Space Mountain?

Lees75

Mouseketeer
What age do you all suggest for Space Mountain? My kids will be 10 and 8. Our FP window opens on Sunday, so I am trying to finalise our plans.

Because it is only the 3 of us, it is either all of us do it or none of us do it. The kids are more than happy to do Splash Mountain, Everest, etc, but are not sure about Space Mountain because it is in the dark.

But I don't want to go and regret not doing it, given that it is most likely to be our one and only trip to WDW.

They will be fine, get the FP. Riding in the dark is the best part, you can't see what's coming up. No time to be scared.

I think if they can handle Everest, they can do Space Mountain.

My oldest started riding at 5. My youngest wasn't tall enough until she was 6, so she rode then. :goodvibes

Cool, thanks. We will do it. What about the Rockin' Rollercoaster? The kids are slightly worried about going upside down, but I am trying to convince them that it is a smooth ride. Am I mis-leading them?

even though it is not Disney but 9 year old grandson was trilled he made the height to ride Wild Eagle at Dollywood last week. that has a number of loops. Rock N Roll is very mild for a loop coaster, they will be fine riding it

Lees75 said:
Cool, thanks. We will do it. What about the Rockin' Rollercoaster? The kids are slightly worried about going upside down, but I am trying to convince them that it is a smooth ride. Am I mis-leading them?

Might sound crazy but I find that ride so smooth I barely notice going upside down. My nephew rodw when he was 8 and it is his fave ride.

My kids had just turned 7yo when they rode it last October. They liked it but I didn't--it beat me to death! :scared:

There will be lots of 5 and 6 year olds on space mountain - your kids will be fine.

And they'll love RnRC. I HATE going upside down on roller coasters usually - I'm short so my head invariable gets whiplash and my ears smash into the side of the shoulder restraints. I never have that problem on rock n roller coaster - smooth and fun!

One question about Space Mountain....I didn't bother with FP as not sure if my DS9 will like it or not (but he may want to ride SB when there). He's into regular roller coasters but does not like loops or anything.

How scary is Space Mountain? Does it go upside down?

One question about Space Mountain....I didn't bother with FP as not sure if my DS9 will like it or not (but he may want to ride SB when there). He's into regular roller coasters but does not like loops or anything.

How scary is Space Mountain? Does it go upside down?

There are no inversions (loops or corkscrews). Its just a rollercoaster in the dark.

We tried it at age 6 -- didn't like it (no tears or anything, but didn't want to go again). Willing to try again at age 7 -- better, but still didn't like it. Age 7 1/2 -- tried Space Mountain in California (sit side-by-side instead of tandem) and loved it! Age 8 -- loved Space Mountain in Florida.

I'd say to go for it. And I'd say use the FP because the anticipation while waiting in line will kill them if either one is nervous. Just do the band-aid approach and get them in and on the ride quick. If they hate it, it'll be over faster. But I think it's a perfectly appropriate age so go for it!

Depends on the kid but we will be doing it when he hits the height req. Right now he is 1/2 inch away (in shoes) from hitting 40 inches and he's 2 years 8 months old. With that said- I'd bet he will hit 44 at age 5. We will ride it then and determine if he likes it or not :)

I'd say to go for it. And I'd say use the FP because the anticipation while waiting in line will kill them if either one is nervous. Just do the band-aid approach and get them in and on the ride quick. If they hate it, it'll be over faster. But I think it's a perfectly appropriate age so go for it!

We already have 3FP booked for DS9, but his last one is for 1:10pm - 2:10pm. Is it likely he could get Space Mountain FP as a fourth FP from the kiosk? Or does it sell out?

My DS loves roller coasters, but I worry about that one. When my friend went with her kid the same age they did the People mover first. It takes them through where space mountain goes. She got a taste of how dark it would be and was excited and handled it better than she would have otherwise. I am doing the same thing. Much easier to change from space mountain than to try to get it the day of.

The touring plans blog tested 4th fp availability and says space Mtn is usually there less than 20% of the time by 3. The other tomorrowland attractions, speedway, buzz are typically available through the the day

My DS loves roller coasters, but I worry about that one. When my friend went with her kid the same age they did the People mover first. It takes them through where space mountain goes. She got a taste of how dark it would be and was excited and handled it better than she would have otherwise. I am doing the same thing. Much easier to change from space mountain than to try to get it the day of.

The touring plans blog tested 4th fp availability and says space Mtn is usually there less than 20% of the time by 3. The other tomorrowland attractions, speedway, buzz are typically available through the the day

Cool..thanks. So grabbing it as a 4th FP is mostly unlikely then (although it's a MNSSHP night so perhaps MK won't be as busy that day since you have to leave by 7pm?). Otherwise they can check out SB lines and decide. It sounds like one that he would like. I had totally dismissed it at first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter