What age do you go from "He was too young" to "He lived a good life?"

My grandmother lived to be 72. She died from stomach cancer and I feel if she had not gotten that, she would have lived a good while longer. I feel that her life was cut short. My grandfather lived to be 77 and I think he lived a good life. Considering all of the health problems he had in his life over the years we were all surprised he outlived my grandma by four years. Miss them both. Now when I hear of someone dying in their early 70s I think it is too young. I think 80 is the age where I can say they lived a good life.

I do think your perspective changes as you get older, but it also has changed with time. People stay active so much longer than they did in the past when it was culturally accepted to look 'old' when you were very young.

I always laugh when I see a picture of my grandmother at my parents wedding. She was only 43 years old, but looks like she might have been 68! She wears 'younger' clothes now than she did back then and she is 83!

I think your perception changes to how much you know the person. An anonymous 70 year old may make you feel they had lived a long life, but if that 70 year old was your mother/father, you would probably feel differently.

My Mom is 89 and my Father in Law is 90. I would say that they lived a good life at age 90.

Anything under 80 would be too young.

If I am reading death notices generally, meaning I have no idea who the actual person is so I don't know the physical or mental health of that individual, anything under 80 seems too young. I lost my mother at 65, my father at 69 and my brother at 47. In my mind, all of them were way too young. :sad1:

We've had multiple young deaths (30s, 40s, 50s) in my family and almost no relatives who have made it to their 'twilight years', so for me personally, when I see someone in their 70s, I think they've had a pretty good 'long' life.

Working in an ICU, I'm starting to believe all MDs consider any years lived past age 50 are a 'bonus'.

I've changed my mind. Young is my age plus 10 years.

I like how you think! Seriously, since the cradle, I always thought I would be 127 years old when I died. I don't know why, it's just one of those things that has been ingrained in me since I can remember. One of those things you just "know". Unfortunately, my parts are wearing out much faster than anticipated.

I am sorry for the passing of Marvin Hamlisch. Personally, I think he was too young, simply because he was a rare talent who contributed so much and could have given so much more, if time allowed.

75ish, with some gray area on either side. I think the "too young" comments also tend to accompany sudden deaths of people who don't "act" old or experience declining health in their last years.

44 since I expect not to make it past 43. Yikes, I've only got 3 years to go!

I always thought that I wasn't going to make it past 30. I don't know why, but that number always randomly came to mind. Don't spend all your money before you hit 43. I am now 34 years PAST the time I had given myself. I'm glad I saved some money up during those years because it's making retirement much more pleasant. ;)

The fact of the matter is that I am way overweight and I smoked for 45 years (don't anymore) and my Doctor once said to me. "Well, I don't know why you are not diabetic or have other problems, but you don't...for now." I consider everyday a bonus even though I am only 64. It comes under the old joke phrase..."If I'd known I was going to live so long, I'd have taken better care of myself."

I don't think there is a certain age. I think if someone is still mentally active in life, family and friends then when they die they do it "too young". If, OTOH, someone has had a long time illness or no longer mentally there then they "lived a good life" once they pass away.

I agree with this. My DH's grandfather was 74 when he passed. He was relatively healthy and active, still training horses, building wagons, and raising his wife's 14-year-old granddaughter who'd lived with them since she was 3. In the space of less than a month, he was diagnosed wit h pancreatic cancer, went in for surgery, and died in the hospital from surgical complications. We were all pretty shocked. He was here, vibrant and working hard, and then just, BAM - he was gone.

When I see my grown children happy and well adjusted I will have considered my work on this planet finished. Of course I don't necessarily want to die then, but I have always prayed that I will live that long.

In general though, anything over 75 is "he lived a good long life".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter