What age did your child stop believing the characters are real?

We went first when DS was 4. We didn't talk much about our plans other than we were having breakfast (and lunch and dinner) with Pooh and the gang. He also met Pluto, Mickey and Minnie. This was also the year he declared his belief in Santa.

He announced at the beginning they were people in costumes. It doesn't seem to change his excitement level. He sometimes asks if they are real and I let him take the lead in talking through his belief. I think he believes in the magic of Disney. (And Santa. Though I think he's totally conning me on Santa.) Oddly, his belief in the tooth fairy seems true.

His awe and his desire to see the characters doesn't seem to be impaired by his belief system. I will say we don't do the face characters, mostly because he hasn't seen any of those movies.

Hi O.P

when did you stop believing?

i cant wait to have kids to live in a land of make believe again, me and my wife get excited about meeting characters every year, i love when kids as questions that adults just cant answer... ive helped some parents over the years that want to keep the magic alive for their children, here are some of my answers for you if you ever get asked these questions,

1) the princess looks older than she did in the movie
A) well, have you aged since the movie? so has Belle.

2) Why are the faries so tall
A) well, Disney is the home of magic, once the faries took residence at Disney World, Sorcerer Mickey provided them with some special farie dust, not pixie dust but farie dust, like the blue fairy gave pinnochio, it holds certain properties which can cause the faries to grow. in return the pixies provide pixie dust to help the faries fly

i have hundreds more like this, if anyone would like a full list to help explain to the magic and keep the show alive PM me, :wizard:

just also been reading some of the other comments on this thread,

i think kids whilst at home away from the magic, will probably say yeah its a person in a costume, once your in the setting, in the magic kingdom and your kid meets mickey mouse, they will be awestruck! to this day, when i meet any character in the park (and im 23) somthing takes over inside, that little place in all of us and you forget everything about a costume, at that moment your kids are meeting mickey mouse.

im telling you, wait and see. your kids will be awestruck by the characters

This thread has me worried - my DS will be 4 and my DD will be 6 in october and I really hope that they still believe in the characters.

Can anyone with similar age children tell me they still believed.

some will say yes some will say no. its really how your kids and you handle it.

you just have to realize its part of growing up and moving on. did you get upset when they first started walking?

My 4 yo: never. Tried to get inside Tiggers suit when he was about 18 months old to see what kind of shenanigans were afoot. He is a very concrete thinker and wants to understand how things work more than he wants to play pretend.

That being said, he has ALWAYS been delighted at meeting the characters. He just has lots of questions he whispers to me after.

Mine never believed they were.It didn't diminish any of the magic

My kids have never believed. I guess I never thought to nurture the idea of the characters being real. We went when my oldest was just under 2... and he was terrified the first time he saw Mickey. So I just told him it's just a mom or dad in a costume and he was fine then. So we just went with it.

Still love the place, they still get a kick out of seeing the characters even knowing. Has never dulled the magic one bit :)

My dd is 14 now and was 3 when we first started going to Disney World. We have never discussed it. She is a very smart girl and I am sure somewhere down the line she realized it but she is like me when we get to Disney World it is magic. We get excited when we see our favorite characters and we never think about that. I think she said it perfectly when she was about 9 we were there with friends who had a little boy and she was talking about seeing Stitch. The little boy told her you know that is not really Stitch that is just a person in a costume. She just looked at him and smiled and said "he is real to me".

My oldest was about 3.5. That was the trip we went on when my brother was a CM as different characters. We have a picture of her with him as Goofy and she is so excited because she knew it was her Uncle. She was so proud! That was when Goofy picked one child in the morning to open up Toon Town Fair and ride the barnstormer with him. She got to walk hand in hand with him and ride it. My middle DD is 5 and knows that there are people inside. It hasn't taken away any of the magic for us. It is still a big deal to meet them!

I remember being 6 or 7 and still thinking that they were real. Commenting to Rafiki that I loved his movie, really excited about meeting the queen of hearts. I'm sure that around 8 when someone at school told me Santa was fake I pieced it together. I never told my mom though, because she told me if I ever stopped believing in Santa I would stop getting gifts. I thought she would never take me back to wdw.

My son will be going on his first trip in less than three weeks and I am excited for him to meet Mickey!

We ate at Crystal Palace a few years back, and my then 7 year old daughter saw some sort of zipper on the back of Eeyore... that did her in. "Mommy, Eeyore has a zipper on his back. There is a person in there isn't there?" ....so me being the coward I am I say....."what zipper?, I didn't see a zipper""

My girls now know there is a person in the costumes..but that doesn't change the fact they adore getting autographs, photos and hugs from everyone. The princesses..that's another story. They can see the princesses face, so obviously they are still real....

My girls, even my 10 year old, are still a little immature and believe a lot of make believe things. I'll be darned before I squish those precious moments left...

So WTH with the zippers at Crystal Palace??? Pooh has a very noticeable zipper-like birthmark as well!!

My kids are 11 and 9. My 11YO told me once at a football game that Big Al (the Alabama elephant) is "just a mascot, don't you know..." I asked what that meant and she said "a person in a costume." But not once EVER at Disney have my kids ever questioned. It's real RIGHT THEN to all of us, and that's worth the price of admission to me :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter