• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What ADR would you add, drop, or run far far away from??

The boardwalk
Oh yeah! I couldn't place what that was either! That's my favorite character meal and the food here is a step above anything else I've had on property. It has some unique items on the menu but be prepared....the two of us laid down a cool hundred dollar bill for this meal after figuring in a standard tip!!! Sorry, $100 for breakfast for 2 is stupid. It set the mood for our last trip as this was our very first meal. Great character interaction and good food but no egg is worth that hefty price tag.

Since you're staying at beach club with the dining plan, I would add Cape May buffet for dinner and/or breakfast. Buffets really help get your money's worth on the dining plan, and it's our favorite! We have it booked for both on our next trip and we're not even staying at BC. :)

Second and third Tusker House. We always go for a reservation that bridges breakfast into lunch, you can eat breakfast and then the lunch food appears. Something for everyone, but you are paying breakfast prices. Chef Mickey we found to be way over priced and just ordinary food, nothing special - even atmosphere wise. Our favorite large family buffet is Germany. You can all sit at one long table, buffet is pretty good German food, nothing very spicy, and a great show. Inside you are sitting in a German Biergarten at night -great atmosphere. Honestly, at the Magic Kingdom we tend to do fast food as a really great sit down is not in the cards there. I would not suggest Tony's. However we will go the Plaza restaurant - food is good. Not sure how it would go, but at Hollywood Studios we enjoy Mama Melrose and Brown Derby. Enjoy your trip.

I would drop Boathouse like a hot potato. In my opinion, considering that you mentioned that this will be your only trip for awhile, you should be going for either a) really good food or b) a unique "Disney" experience in each of your ADRs. I think all of your other choices meet at least one of those criteria. The Boathouse does not have any Disney magic, and you can get similar food at your local Outback Steakhouse (for a much lower price). Since you seem to have character meals covered already, what about trying one of the monorail resort restaurants instead? I'd give Kona at the Polynesian a very close look, but in general you really can't go wrong on the monorail loop (other than Narcoossee's...skip that).

So I'm having a day of obsessing over our dining reservations! :magnify: We're on the deluxe dining plan for our first night staying at the Boardwalk and on the regular dining plan for the rest of the trip, and staying at the Beach Club. 7 nights, 8 days.

Background -

Me (38) Will eat pretty much anything
Hubs (45) Not as adventurous, but eats some fish now... Can't take spicy food
Daughter #1 (14) Likes spicy food, not a big steak or fish eater but will eat some.
Daughter #2 (13) Avoids spicy food like the plague. Will eat some fish. Loves sushi.
Daughter #3 (4) Average toddler I guess lol Not overly picky, but best with mac n cheese, grilled cheese - Cheese in general is her friend.
My father (old) If he comes, he eats anything and everything. All spices, all ethnicities.
His wife (older) No sushi, not sure about spice. More of a meat and potato kinda person.

Here are our ADRs....
The Boathouse (just my family)
Jungle Navigation
Chef Mickeys
La Hacienda
Sci-Fi (for my oldest... I'm really not feeling it...)
Tusker House
Bon Voyage Breakfast
CRT

We're probably not going back to Disney for many years (if at all) after this trip so I really want to make it a good one. My older girls have been many times, but this will be the first trip for the baby.
What would you take away or add for our trip?? I feel like we may be missing something not doing a 1900 PF dinner or HDDR, but everyone keeps vetoing it! Thoughts??

TIA!!!!
Not a bad list there. A good mix but the Boathouse is the star of that group!!

Second and third Tusker House. We always go for a reservation that bridges breakfast into lunch, you can eat breakfast and then the lunch food appears. Something for everyone, but you are paying breakfast prices. Chef Mickey we found to be way over priced and just ordinary food, nothing special - even atmosphere wise. Our favorite large family buffet is Germany. You can all sit at one long table, buffet is pretty good German food, nothing very spicy, and a great show. Inside you are sitting in a German Biergarten at night -great atmosphere. Honestly, at the Magic Kingdom we tend to do fast food as a really great sit down is not in the cards there. I would not suggest Tony's. However we will go the Plaza restaurant - food is good. Not sure how it would go, but at Hollywood Studios we enjoy Mama Melrose and Brown Derby. Enjoy your trip.
Oops forgot Ohana.

Sci Fi would be my avoid. I didn’t like the food or really enjoy it the one time I tried it. I know that basically sacralige on the forums but its genuinely one of the few restaraunts on property you will now get me back into.

Love Tusker House though. Accidentally roped local friend into trying it last time. And she liked it. I get some people prefer Boma and I’m not saying its bad. I just have had experiences all over the board there.

Honestly unless the kids are big Cinderella fans your probably good skipping 1900 PF for CRT.

Last edited:

So I'm having a day of obsessing over our dining reservations! :magnify: We're on the deluxe dining plan for our first night staying at the Boardwalk and on the regular dining plan for the rest of the trip, and staying at the Beach Club. 7 nights, 8 days.

Background -

Me (38) Will eat pretty much anything
Hubs (45) Not as adventurous, but eats some fish now... Can't take spicy food
Daughter #1 (14) Likes spicy food, not a big steak or fish eater but will eat some.
Daughter #2 (13) Avoids spicy food like the plague. Will eat some fish. Loves sushi.
Daughter #3 (4) Average toddler I guess lol Not overly picky, but best with mac n cheese, grilled cheese - Cheese in general is her friend.
My father (old) If he comes, he eats anything and everything. All spices, all ethnicities.
His wife (older) No sushi, not sure about spice. More of a meat and potato kinda person.

Here are our ADRs....
Jungle Navigation
Chef Mickeys
La Hacienda
Tusker House
Bon Voyage Breakfast
CRT

We're probably not going back to Disney for many years (if at all) after this trip so I really want to make it a good one. My older girls have been many times, but this will be the first trip for the baby.
What would you take away or add for our trip?? I feel like we may be missing something not doing a 1900 PF dinner or HDDR, but everyone keeps vetoing it! Thoughts??

TIA!!!!
Never been to The Boathouse but heard good things! (DH and kids aren't seafood fans)
Never been to Jungle Navigation, but based on reviews I would if my family would go!
Chef Mickey's - never again. Food was awful, not much selection, BOTTLED SALAD DRESSING, only one vegetable choice at dinner. it was chaotic, the characters stood long enough for a quick pic and that's it. Was much more worth it to get a FP to get pics with the characters. Garden Grill is SO much better. Their breakfast is my favorite and the characters come around multiple times since it's a smaller restaurant.
The time we were at La Hacienda was when they first opened and I was very disappointed. The cheese appetizer was hard as a rock, everything else was cold. Could have been because it was new, but we haven't been back. Go to San Angel Inn. It's DELICIOUS and the ambiance is super cool! Delish margaritas!
I was not a fan of Sci-Fi - you only get to sit next to one other person and it's super quiet in there - like you can't talk. With anyone. It's too quiet to talk with the person next to you and impossible to talk with anyone sitting behind you.
Tusker House - I didn't not like it, but a little adventerous for my crowd.
CRT was yummy, and it was great time with all the princesses!

From the list of your restaurants, I would turn and run from Chef Mickey as fast as you can and never look back. There are only two places I will never return too, LeCellier (not worth a signature) and Chef Mickey. Chef Mickey was the worst food I have ever encountered anywhere in WDW. If someone would walk into a Golden Corral wearing a Mickey Mouse costume it would almost be the same experience. I'm not a fan of buffets, but for me, CM was awful.

Staying at Boardwalk/Beach Club I would probably drop the The Boathouse and do something around the Boardwalk area. Yachtsmen is a good choice and just a few steps away. Flying Fish is another option and it's also right there on the Boardwalk. Both places are 2 credits and unless you really want to visit Disney Springs, staying close to your resort and enjoying the pool/Boardwalk area is what I would do!

Jungle Navigation is a good choice, just check the menu and make sure there is something everyone would enjoy there. Chef Mickey's would also be a drop for me. If you want to meet the classic characters, you've got Cape May breakfast right at the Beach Club. La Hacienda is great for Illuminations if that's what you're planning. We enjoyed it on our last trip. Sci Fi is a great choice and definitely a family favorite for us. We also really like 50's PT.

Tusker House, again, you will meet the same characters as you would at Chef Mickey's if you decide to keep that or if you go with Cape May. Tusker House was just OK for us but people on here rave about it. Other choices in AK for 1 credit table service would be Rainforest Cafe which my kids love or Yak & Yeti (check the menu). Bon Voyage breakfast is perfect since you are staying Beach Club. I really want to try it. CRT is definitely a great way to meet the princesses and eating in the castle is fun. This was a one and done for us but like you said, you aren't planning to go back any time soon and for your 4 year old, it will probably be well worth it.

You mentioned HDDR. I would absolutely add that if you can! Maybe the night you planned to do Chef Mickey's? HDDR is fun for the whole family and always a huge highlight of our trip.

Have fun!

Here are our ADRs....
Jungle Navigation
Chef Mickeys
La Hacienda
Tusker House
Bon Voyage Breakfast
CRT
I wanted to elaborate on why I chose La Hacienda. We did have good service there, but I think with so many people in your family disliking spicy food it’s not good enough to offset that. The first thing they’ll do is bring out tortillas with super hot/spicy salsa that only half might eat.

Another vote for dropping Tusker. We've given it multiple chances and we have yet to be impressed with the food ... breakfast and dinner. I have friends that rave about it and maybe we've just gone on bad days, but I can't see spending that kind of $ to give them another chance...so I certainly can't recommend it. We're adventurous eaters, so it's not that either...just not a fan of their food and have some quality concerns.

Thanks to everyone for your input! I have switched a little....

I kept Boathouse, The Jungle Navigation Co., Coral Reef, La Hacienda, Tusker House, Sci-Fi, Bon Voyage & CRT.
I swapped Chef Mickeys out for a breakfast at Disney Jr Play 'n Dine. I know, I know, terrible food. But my toddler will LOVE the characters there! And while I hate making breakfast reservations, at least this one is in a park.

My father and his wife have dropped off our Sci-Fi reservation, so I'm hoping that gives us a better chance to get a car, and not be stuck at one of their picnic bench tables. But I would LOVE to switch that one out for Via Napoli... Darn kids! LOL

Thanks to everyone for your input! I have switched a little....

I kept Boathouse, The Jungle Navigation Co., Coral Reef, La Hacienda, Tusker House, Sci-Fi, Bon Voyage & CRT.
I swapped Chef Mickeys out for a breakfast at Disney Jr Play 'n Dine. I know, I know, terrible food. But my toddler will LOVE the characters there! And while I hate making breakfast reservations, at least this one is in a park.

My father and his wife have dropped off our Sci-Fi reservation, so I'm hoping that gives us a better chance to get a car, and not be stuck at one of their picnic bench tables. But I would LOVE to switch that one out for Via Napoli... Darn kids! LOL
I didn’t love the food at Via Napoli, and the atmosphere at Sci-Fi makes it worth it. Have fun!

HDDR is a dinner show - which means that little conversation happens during the meal. Depending on your family dynamics, that could be a factor to consider.

Sci Fi would be my avoid. I didn’t like the food or really enjoy it the one time I tried it. I know that basically sacralige on the forums but its genuinely one of the few restaraunts on property you will now get me back into.

Love Tusker House though. Accidentally roped local friend into trying it last time. And she liked it. I get some people prefer Boma and I’m not saying its bad. I just have had experiences all over the board there.

Honestly unless the kids are big Cinderella fans your probably good skipping 1900 PF for CRT.
I agree with Sci Fi, but I didn't want to be overkill with my negativity lol. I've eaten there 2 or 3 times and it's one of the few places that I walk out of wishing that I had gone somewhere with "real food". It's not just bad, it's really bad IMO. Neat atmosphere but that's where the good time ends. 50's Prime time is much better for that park.

I agree, drop the boathouse. We went there for dinner and had the most tasteless steak ever. The Flying Fish or Yachtsmen Steakhouse are so much better choices and very convenient to where you are staying. In fact, I think the Flying Fish had the best steak on the property. I also vote for Boma for breakfast. The atmosphere is really nice and the food is great.

We tried the Sci-Fi during our last visit. Loved watching the movies but I have to tell you for some reason my back started hurting while sitting in those car tables. The food was nothing to write home about. The 50’s Prime Time is a better choice IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter