• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What about the Animal Kingdom?

I love AK. The only thing I don't like there is Bug's Life because I'm terrified of bugs. I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet: the parade is amazing.
We have been going to AK since it opened. I have pictures of my ds playing in the boneyard. He is now a college student and we feel AK is a must do just for the amazing parade.

We love Animal Kingdom for all the reasons mentioned. We like to take our time in the parks often over two days. We do the Safari twice a day as the animals do roam. We hope to see DiVine and we will also do Flights of Wonder. As mentioned Flame Tree is a must do.

I do like Animal Kingdom but I don't do the "thrill" rides like Dinosaur, Expedition Everest (I'm a scaredy cat!) and Kali River Rapids, so that makes it more of a half day park for me. I love the safari and could ride that over and over. Also Festival of the Lion King is amazing and I cry every time. With our first trip with DD coming up and her love of animals, I'm sure we will spend a whole day now and see the parade as well :goodvibes

All the mention of AK lacking rides and being a half day park is confirmation that Disney made the right choice with Avatar.
BRING IT ON!

There is way too much to do there on one day. Its not all about rides at this park though Dinosaur and Everest are the best. If you take the time to watch the shows, do the trails, Conservation Station, meet the characters, eat or shop etc., its definitely a two day park.

It's all about what you're looking to get out of the park.

If you're primarily about rides and attractions, it's going to be a half day thing for you. It's just the way it is. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that mindset either!

If you're more about details, environment, taking it slow, and absorbing the park itself, then it's going to be a full to multi-day park for you. This is how it was designed and is fully intentional. It works for some, not for others. To each their own :). (This is the mindset that I'm in at the park over several days. Of course, the fact my camera viewfinder is permanently attached to my eye socket the whole time I'm there helps too :p)

If you don't know, I'd plan to spend a full day there for your first time. You may love it, you may leave at noon and spend the rest of the day in the pool at your resort (or back at your favorite park). Either way, you have fun :). Now, if you're looking to just squish it in somewhere that it doesn't really fit just because you feel that since you are there you should do it, then I'd recommend skipping it and freeing up that time for something you know you'll enjoy. Perhaps down the road you'll be back with enough time to give it a real shot.

We all really enjoy AK but our entire family agrees that it is #4 on our list. There are lots of things to do and explore but we find some things to be bothersome. For instance, even though the line for Kali is cool, the ride itself is far to short and anti-climactic after the usually long wait. (Plus we all hate wearing wet clothes as you walk around the huge park.) Primeval Whirl is a ride that we all detest (and we are ride lovers!) Finding Nemo show is ok but not our favorite.

With that said there are things that we :love: about AK. FotLK is fantastic. So is EE and Dinosaur. It's Tough to Be a Bug is fun and the details throughout the park are great! I could spend hours looking at all the animal carvings on TOL. Our kids love the Boneyard but not as much fun for DH & I (they really should have something better for adults here and at the HISTK playground in DHS!)

I would plan to spend a whole day here but take your time and really enjoy the park.

Our visit this year was the first time that we spent the whole day at AK. Usually we are done by about dinnertime but this time we had to pull ourselves out of the park at 7pm. Plus even leaving at that hour we didn't get to see either FOTLK or the Nemo show :( We did Everest many times and also DInosaur as these are my kids favorites. We rode just about everything - could have done without visiting Rafiki's planet watch though as there was really nothing to do there - we enjoyed the train ride though.

Maybe its not a zoo, but our family loves it because its zoo like. It also show cases a lot of different cultures. So, it ended up being half the family's favorite park and the park of choice for our "extra" day.

But the whole family thought Finding Nemo was terrible. Never again.

AK is unquestionably the best themed park in Orlando. Also the prettiest. Most peaceful...and finding any semblance of peace in a theme park is, IMO, a triumph.

I sometimes just slip off to an edge or corner and stand there looking around for a minute.

It's just all so well done.

But most people don't take the time to notice all that, nor do they have any interest. They want entertainment. :) I get that.

ITTBAB is a great movie. Very witty, cute and a lot of fun. That little song at the end...I just love it. "We're Pollenators!" It is like 30 seconds long, but one of my favorite Disney songs. I wouldn't take preschoolers in there, but for everyone else, it's great.

Kilimanjaro Safaris was always a good ride, but I hated going on it because for a loooong time, they felt that the ride (and the animals) should come second to their dumb (and politically preachy in a childish way) storyline. Now, in addition to seeing the animals, you often get someone who talks about them and point out interesting facts. So much better.

Festival of the Lion King is the best show Disney has. Acrobats, fire, singing, dancing...it is a phenomenal show. And although people line up 30 or 45 minutes early, you can show up at the last minute and get a decent seat. If all you did was see this show, you'd have received your money's worth at AK. ...and for those that saw the Broadway show, it doesn't compare - this is much better and worth seeing...you won't feel like you duplicated.

Expedition Everest is not a rollercoaster that could hold up well in comparison to real thrill rides. As coasters go, it is kind of wussy. But it's a good ride and after RnRc, the best thrill at WDW. The queue area is amazingly well done. I have often waved people past me so I could stop for a minute and look at stuff there. Very impressive.

Dinosaur is very herky-jerky. Definitely not for people with back problems! It's fun. My favorite thing about dinosaur is when you get off and watch the videos...you can see him in the office halls. Unfortunately, many people talk through the video set-up and it is difficult for newbies to hear what they're saying. Still, good ride.

Primeval Whirl (PrimEVIL Hurl) is an old-fashioned coaster, but you also spin while riding. I'll do it if kids want to, but it's a lot of spinning and jerking with no real payoff. All the kids I've gone with really like it, though.

Kali River Rapids. Love it! Again, there is political preachiness. But it's a good ride, bouncing along in a raft, going down a hill and either seeing someone get drenched or getting drenched yourself. I try to ride this right before I leave unless the weather is very warm and dry, which isn't often.

The Rafiki thing (Rafiki's Planet Watch?) has a really nice petting zoo for kids. My favorite part, though, is watching surgeries or procedures being performed on the animals. They don't always have an animal needing surgery, but it is interesting to watch if you're into that kind of thing, which I totally am.

Rainforest Cafe is much better than the flak it takes around here. I've never had a bad meal there. Once upon a time, the Disney food was better, but that is no longer the case. It's as good or better than almost all the WDW restaurants. It is loud, though. So is Tusker House. I haven't eaten at Yak n Yeti because I'm still working up to being that adventurous.

The characters, IMO, never look cuter than they do in their safari garb.

The walking trails are great. I could spend all day looking at the bats. Love the gorillas, too. I always checkout the Komodo dragone, because he's the baddest of the animals...but he never moves. Most people like the tigers.

I could keep going, but this is already the longest post I've ever made and too long as it is.

Good luck with your decision!

eta: Nemo sucks.

We like AK for the shows mostly, they are all great. Contrary to most people here, I would be fine if I never rode EE again, probably the most overrated ride in WDW, the queue is awesome, I'd rather go through the line and skip the ride. We go in the winter months, I don't want to walk around a half day wet, so Kali is out. We have zoo's and forests in oregon so we don't do a lot of stopping and looking at trees and such. It's a half day at best, maybe only a couple hours.

AK is by far my most favorite of the 4 parks. I love all but Dinoland. Hate that, and I usually run right through it. One of my most memorable things from all of Disney World is Devine. I just love her, and make sure to see her as often as possible. I just love watching people walk right by her without even knowing she is there. It is my favorite park to stroll through. Love it love it love it! Do not miss Devine!!!:thumbsup2:cool1::banana:

I was only at AK once and I don't plan on going back. The char breakfast at the Tusker house was great, but everything else- meh . We did the safari, the rapids (my favorite ride of the day), the boneyard, and the triceratops spin. After that there were no other rides my daughter could do and she didn't want to watch anymore shows. She just wanted rides. So we left and went to MK. For me, it wasn't that exciting. After the character breakfast, I just didn't feel the magic! To me, it was a big zoo.

boo...hisssss :goodvibes

I see a lot of people disappointed with Hollywood Studios - but what about the Animal Kingdom? This is one I never hear much about. I have a feeling we will spend a lot of time at the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and at least half day at Hollywood Studios since we booked the Fantasmic package...but what are your thoughts on the Animal Kingdom? I really want to do the safari - what else is there to do there???

I LOVE LOVE LOVE DHS!!! It was equal to MK for me and my family (DH and DS13). Didn't love AK at all. Couple great shows (Lion King especially) and Safari was ok - EE and River ride good.

Oh wow.... this makes me sad. ITSNOTAZOO and was never intended as one. There are so many gems to AK. You ha e to set aside the mindset of "rides". Disney in general wasn't built specifically for rides. Its about learning and exploring.

It is a zoo. Registered as a zoo. Pays the zoo fees. Has zookeepers. Animals.

They marked it with their made-up African "Nahtazu!" word because so many people said, "It's just a zoo and we have a zoo at home..." and blew it off. You could go, ignore all the zoo aspects and still have an excellent time, but...

It is a zoo. It is totally more than most any other zoo (except BG, I think), but it is, in fact, an excellent zoo.

I'm a huge fan of AK. Last time our family went, we made the mistake of only scheduling a half day, based on reviews I had read - huge mistake! :(

We don't do everest, although DH and DD might this next time around. We did what most people recommend: we took our time, stopped at each exhibit and looked around. Even the bat cave was fascinating - sometimes you'd walk by a spot and not be able to figure out what animal was hidden in there, so you have to stop, be still, and wait to see it move. On occasion it was even right in front of your eyes!

This time we will plan a full day and take our time even more. I look forward to DS3 playing in the boneyard, and dd and I going on Dinosaur together. We're having breakfast at tusker house with Donald, and we'll go on kilimanjaro safari and a train ride (what more could my son want) to see animals (oh yes - that's what he would like!).

I think people who say "we have zoos" are either very fortunate or unaware of the details in the AK "zoo". We have zoos here, but we can't see tapirs and capybaras, asian tigers, and gorillas, year round in a natural looking environment.

We're choosing not to go to HS this year, as we personally won't get much out of it. To each their own, KWIM?

Okay okay.... It's not JUST a ZOO!! It's more than a zoo. :stir:

It might have been bc we had been battling some family issues for two days and my hubby woke up with a fever that morning after already dealing with some other health issues that just didn't allow us to really find the magic of that park.

I am not a thrill ride junkie. I didn't even go near EE or Dinosaur.

Maybe it's just a family thing. My parents don't enjoy the park either. They don't even schedule it in their trips anymore. The only reason they went this time was to have breakfast with us. They left after breakfast.

If I can ever get to Disney for more than 4 days, I'll go back to AK and see if I find an appreciation for it. For right now, it's not on my priority list.

We spend probably about 40 days of the year at Animal Kingdom.

We spend maybe...3, 4 days tops at Hollywood Studios.

Everyone doesn't have to like the same things. I'm sure the DHS fans are happy I'm not clogging up their queues, and vice versa! :thumbsup2

We spend probably about 40 days of the year at Animal Kingdom.

We spend maybe...3, 4 days tops at Hollywood Studios.

Everyone doesn't have to like the same things. I'm sure the DHS fans are happy I'm not clogging up their queues, and vice versa! :thumbsup2

When we move to FL, I'm sure we wil lbe like you and spend more time there. Hoever, only having a few weeks a year there, we find ourselves limiting our time there (the fact that we have two pre-teen boys probably has something to do with that as well ;) )

We love it AK! I definitely pick it over DHS. My preteen/teen boys love it as well. They like thrills, but they also love nature/science/animals/conservation and AK really appeals to that. (Maybe it is just our whole family - my husband and I both worked at our zoo for years and my family still goes regularly. We're just an animal kind of family.)

The details are amazing, the atmosphere is relaxed. I feel a sense of well-being walking through - an experience that is very different than the magical happy feeling I get walking through MK. At the same time, they both invoke a great deal of emotion (happy emotions). I wouldn't give up a day at AK for anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter