What a wonderful "community"!

chickie

DIS Veteran
I've been wanting to write in for awhile, but I just couldn't figure out what to say.

My father-in-law passed away over the weekend. He had been suffering for a long time with ALS (I posted about this on the support and compassion boards.) When we returned home, I jumped on the disboards to see what was new, and I was shocked and saddened to hear of Bob's sudden passing.

It had been a very long and hard weekend for our family. But we found so much support from everyone that knew and cared for my father-in-law. My in-laws live in a small community about an hour south of St. Louis. I've never been to a wake where there was a steady line of people all the way out the door of the funeral home for several hours. I never realized how many people knew and respected "Lennie" (my DFIL).

This "community" of people reminds me of that small town. This has been a very hard time for all of us here on the boards. I cannot even begin to imagine how hard it has been for our dear podcast crew and Bob's family. But the love and support I have seen on these boards is almost overwhelming. It seems as though we have all been touched by Bob in some way, even though we have never met him. And I imagine that most of us, if not all, would be at that memorial if we just had the means to get there. And I hope that Bob had just a small idea of how much he meant to so many, just like Lennie.

Pete, this is a big testament to the site that you started some 11 years ago. I know that even you didn't know what you were starting. But the people on this board are some of the most caring, compassionate and friendly people that I may never get to meet. And your crew, including our dear Bob, have been close friends to us (sometimes whether you like it or not);) .

But, I am just so proud to be able to be a part of such a "small community" like this. Even though I know most of you by our silly screen names, I'd be proud to call every one of you a friend. And being part of this community has helped me cope in not only the death of my father-in-law, but in the death of our dear Bob.:grouphug:

Our love of Disney has brought us together, but for many of us, I think a certain type of friendship (or kinship) keeps us all together.

Bob was a wonderful, fun-loving guy, and I can only hope that, even though I never got to meet him, that my Father-in-law gets to meet him in heaven. I think they would have fun together!

Thanks for listening,
Jackie

I started listening to the dis podcast at January of this year... and I feel I get to know all the crew... I am so happy to be part of this community too!In this forum you find caring people that concercens about other people without even seen then face to face, I think it also helps the podcast crew... they always make us feel part of what they do and their passion ... and I am serious... A group of wonderful people (now very strange to find people with good feelings) gathered long time ago to create something that they can be proud of. Keep up with the good work and being the way you are... Pete you created something wonderful because you have done this with all your heart... and we can feel it. So congratulations to the podcast crew: Pete, Julie, Kevin, John, Corey, Bob, Regina, Alex, Will (sorry if I forgot someone) for doing this and congrats to all the people that cares and shares their feelings on this community.
We know that Bob is proud of this beautiful community and the wonderful people he got to be with every Tuesday!

Beautiful post, Jackie. Also, big hugs to you and your family :grouphug:. My dad died of ALS so I have some idea what you've been through. It's nice to be reminded how lucky we are to have each other, even though we only know each other through these boards.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I hope everyone is doing okay this morning. I still have to catch up from the weekend and see how the memorial and the meet went.

What wonderful words..

I agree this "community" is great! I dont have any actual close friends so sometimes I come to this site to reach out to others when I need to.. It feels good to know there is someone out there who I can "talk to" if I need to..

Jackie,

I am very sorry for your loss. Your post was heart felt and appreciated.

It's a Small World After All.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter