What a disaster!!

Enjoying your trip report. Not too long at all. Keep all the details coming. Wilderness Lodge is my favorite resort.

OK, I'm definitely on board for this one! Keep it coming and don't leave anything out! :goodvibes

Thank you every one for the encouragement. Glad every one enjoy my report. I will do my best to write as detail as possible.

After going away for 7 days, coming back to work was tough. I spend 2 days just to catch up on office email and requests. I barely have time to even think. At the same time, I am moving my office back to PA. My head is spinning like a tops.

I did however already start writing the next installment today. Just a paragraph here and paragraph there between work. Hopefully, it will get done before the weekend is over.

I also wants to thank all the new readers for dropping by.

Great update! I'm so sorry about your camera bag, I would be nervous to send it UPS too. I hope everything worked out ok in the end!

Good luck getting caught up at work, going back after vacation is the worst!

Just wanted to say I am enjoying your report. I can't relate from the camera equipment angle (point and shoot kind of girl) but I have had blisters nearly ruin a trip to Disney. Can't wait to hear more.....:)

Just chiming in to say I understand.

In 2006 we went to WDW and my father came along in a separate vehicle.
When we got a little way into Georgia my car died ..... on the interstate :eek: Fortunately we were able to get it going again but lost several hours in the process. Well, since we were running so behind we decided at 2:00 am that we should all just stop and get a motel room for the night. When we went to leave the next morning my father's car wouldn't start :headache: .. the alternator went out, so we spent the rest of that day having his alternator fixed and left the next day..
By the time we finally got going the next morning tropical storm Alberto was coming through and we drove through torrential downpours. The next day, our first day at Disney, (we ended up losing 2 of the 4 days we planned on going to DW) the first part of the day it rained... alot.
After that things go better but we went to Daytona Beach for the 2nd half of the week and I got a BAD sunburn. I was so concerned with making sure DD had plenty of sunscreen on at all times that I neglected myself. :sad2:

We laugh about it now, but there was a silver lining. That first day at Disney after the rain stopped the sun came out and the weather was wonderful. The Magic Kingdom was deserted and most rides were a walk on. We had such a good time :thumbsup2

Great update! I'm so sorry about your camera bag, I would be nervous to send it UPS too. I hope everything worked out ok in the end!

Good luck getting caught up at work, going back after vacation is the worst!
That's the worst part of vacation. Not fun.
Just wanted to say I am enjoying your report. I can't relate from the camera equipment angle (point and shoot kind of girl) but I have had blisters nearly ruin a trip to Disney. Can't wait to hear more.....:)
It was painful but luckily I had the blisters two days before the trip was over. It could've been worse.
Off to a great start topdog. Looking forward to more. popcorn::
Hello KSD. Thank you for the encouragement.
Just chiming in to say I understand.

In 2006 we went to WDW and my father came along in a separate vehicle.
When we got a little way into Georgia my car died ..... on the interstate :eek: Fortunately we were able to get it going again but lost several hours in the process. Well, since we were running so behind we decided at 2:00 am that we should all just stop and get a motel room for the night. When we went to leave the next morning my father's car wouldn't start :headache: .. the alternator went out, so we spent the rest of that day having his alternator fixed and left the next day..
By the time we finally got going the next morning tropical storm Alberto was coming through and we drove through torrential downpours. The next day, our first day at Disney, (we ended up losing 2 of the 4 days we planned on going to DW) the first part of the day it rained... alot.
After that things go better but we went to Daytona Beach for the 2nd half of the week and I got a BAD sunburn. I was so concerned with making sure DD had plenty of sunscreen on at all times that I neglected myself. :sad2:

We laugh about it now, but there was a silver lining. That first day at Disney after the rain stopped the sun came out and the weather was wonderful. The Magic Kingdom was deserted and most rides were a walk on. We had such a good time :thumbsup2

That must've been awful at the time. I can only image the stress level must've shot right through the roof.

I'm really enjoying your trip report....sorry for the not so great start to your vacation. Can't wait to hear more!

Day #1 (Sunday) Part 2

Whispering Canyon Cafe was crowd but not full. The CM told us there will be a few minutes wait. We took the pager and sat at the lobby. Obviously, I wasn't able to sat too long. In a matter of a few seconds, I got up and start walking around the lobby. I was able to hunt down a hidden Mickey by the fireplace and I am pretty sure there are plenty people already know where that was.
DSCN0362.jpg

It did not take long and the pager goes off and my DW flagged me down.

We walked in and the CM leaded us to our table. A very young CM name "Pippin" came wait on us. She was very friendly. Asked us has we been at WCC before and do we have a meal plan, all the fun stuff. We answered accordingly and then we gave her our order.
First, I started with a Mango Colada. It was mmm...mmm... good. Hit just the right spot.
WCC_D1_P_drink.jpg

DW has a Chocolate shake. No picture for her food because she thought that was too corny. It took me a while to turn her around. For appetizer, I had a cup of Southwestern Chicken soup. It was delicious.
WCC_D1_P_appetizer.jpg

I was so hungry...I can't remember what my DW has for appetizer or maybe she skipped the appetizer. For main course, I had an Angus Chuck Bacon Cheeseburger (Burger was very very good. :thumbsup2 )
WCC_D1_P_maincourse.jpg

and DW has some kind of salad with salmon. For desert, I had the Kahula flavor chocolate cake.
WCC_D1_P_desert.jpg

This cake nearly knock my socks off. It was fantastic. I believe DW might've skip desert too.

When "Pipin" came back with our check, she explain to us how the meal plan works and the gratuity was no longer included but we can add that to our room key. That's exactly what we did. There goes 2 points to our meal plan.

After we left WCC, we went back to the check-in desk and see if our room is ready. The CM told us our room is ready and gave us our room number. Room # was 5132.
5132.jpg

We even confirmed on the WL address to make sure my friend mail it to the right place. The CM did told us, make sure the package has the room# on it. So when they receive the package, some one will call us the package has arrived.

Here is the view from the balcony of our room.
_DIS5951.jpg

_DIS5955.jpg

_DIS5957.jpg

The room has been rennovated like what I have seen on some pictures. New headboard with new furniture and new LCD flatscreen TV. I do like the flatscreen TV but I missed the old tube TV with the cabinet that has two doors to close it. The door has some kind of Disney characters on it too, I think. The wall hook was very nice too.

No more than 5 minutes after we got into our room, some one has knocked on our door. Our luggage has arrived. The CM brought them into our room and greet us with a big smile. I did gave him a few dollar for tips but not sure how much people usually tip them.

After we unpack, I was exhausted. My DW turned on her cell phone because we shut them off at the flight and never turned it back on to conserve the battery. Some one has left her a message. It was our friend to confirm the "Eagle" has landed. Code word for the camera bag is in her possession now. LOL... I gave her the room# and reconfirm the mailing address. Lastly, I told her just sent it for next day 10:30am delivery with x amount of $ insurance. I know the next day 8:30am deliver would cost a whole lot more. She got all the information and said she will UPS it tomorrow morning. From that point, I can only wish the solar system must line up so the bag will arrive in one piece.

By then, I can't keep my eyes open and neither was DW. We both took a nap on top of the bed cover. Woke up in about an hour later. It was about 4:30pm. We decide to head to MK for a stroll. We freshen up a bit and then head down to the lobby and walked to the boat dock. We love riding the boat more than the bus. Personally, I like the boat even more than the monorail but that's just me.

As soon as we got to the boat dock, the boat has just arrived. Perfect timing.
DSCN0124.jpg

The boat ride was nice. Air temperature was about 70 degrees. It was very comfortable compare to our single digit degree temperature back home. Nonetheless, we took our sweatshirt with us for JIC.

By the time we docked at MK, it is almost 5:30pm. Sunset just begun. There was a nice warm glow at the castle from the sunset. I couldn't help but taking a few snap shot even with just a point&shoot camera.
DSCN0136.jpg

DSCN0137.jpg

It does feel a little disappointing knowing my regular camera is sitting at home. It is what it is. I am not going to let that drag me down.

The park was pretty crowd but not overly crowd. We basically just walked around the park and checked out the gift shop. That's another fun thing we love to do. I love checking at those merchandise display. I also notice they have some promotion on $30 purchase and you can get a Mickey watch for only $15. If you spend $50, you can get a MK throw for $15 or $20. Pretty good bargain but I would rather wait for a few days before I start buying souvenir.

We start walking back toward the entrance by 7:00pm because we have a ADR at Tony Town's Square at 7:35pm. That's when I stop and took a picture with Goofy.(See my intro.) DW has to be the photographer on this one.

Since we were still early, I want to go up to the train station balcony to see if there is any good spot to watch the "Wishes". While the balcony might be great to watch the "Wishes" but I don't think it's a good place for taking pictures. One, it is too far from the castle. Two, there is a flag pole right in the middle and a couple of trees on either side that kind of block the view of the castle. Just when we were about to walk back to TTS, the train has arrived. I looked at the watch and it was still early. I ask DW if she want to ride and she gave me one of those why not look. The conductor said that will be the last train for the day anyway and the ride would last about 20 minutes. So we hopped on and went for a train ride, in the dark.
DSCN0149.jpg

After the train ride, we went back to TTS for dinner and it was packed. We waited patiently with room fully for hungry parents and children. We did not get seated until close to 8:00pm but that's okay. We are not that much of a hurry any way. That place was mopped with people.

Once we got seated, again, another nice CM came and greet us. I was thinking. I have never experience one CM gave us any attitude whatsoever no matter where we are or what we want. What does Disney feed these CM with? Did they paid them that well to be that happy all the time? I know...I always like to know those useless information.

The CM asked us do we have a meal plan. We answered yes and we have a deluxe meal plan. Then we gave him the order and just observe the surrounding. We sat right next to the Lady and the Champ fountain. A lot of little kids came by and took picture next to the fountain. Some even try to take picture of the fountain themselves. Very cute.

So, our drinks came first. I have a lemonade with Raspberry flavor.
TTS_D1_P_drink.jpg

DW might have a ice tea or something like that. Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. I think I might be still half asleep. Bread was pretty good and I was hungry too.
TTS_D1_Side.jpg

It did not take long before the appetizer came out. DW has a tomato and mozzarella salad
TTS_D1_B_appetizer.jpg

and I have a cup of Portabello mushroom soup.
TTS_D1_P_appetizer.jpg

Both were very good. Next...the main course. DW has Catch of the day which is Perch served with Orzo Pasta tossed with Pancetta, Roasted Garlic and Seasonal Vegetables topped with Balsamic Maple Glaze.
TTS_D1_B_maincourse.jpg

I have New York Strip Steak served with port wine sauce, bake romano cheese potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
TTS_D1_P_maincourse.jpg

My steak was all right. It did not has the WOW factor but not bad. DW loves her fish though. Then desert comes around. I have the Tiramisu - Espresso soaked Lady Fingers, whipped mascarpone and dark chocolate shavings.
TTS_D1_P_desert.jpg

It was fantastic. DW has the Lemon Walnut Layer Cake - layered vanilla cake filled with lemon curd and she like it very much too.
TTS_D1_B_desert.jpg

All in all, the Tony's Town Square dinner was not bad but it can be better. I think it is so popular because of the location. I might give it a try again but only if I ran out of other restaurant to eat.

Now that our bellies are full, we need to walk off the food. It's already after 9:30pm and we head back to MK since it is closing at midnight. We walked back to the castle and admire how the color light changes. Then we too a ride at "It's a small world". It's my favorite ride at MK. While we were waiting in line listen to the music, I start humming along with the music and sang "It's a small world" in Chinese. My DW turn her head to me and start rolling her eyes. :) Because people around me start wondering what the heck I was singing. Yes, I can sing "It's a small world" in Chinese. May not be the whole song but I can sing most of it. I don't think there were too many people knew there is a Chinese version of "It's a small world". I learned that when I was about 8 or 9 years old when I was still living in Hong Kong. That's where I was born and raise. There's another Disney song I learn too but don't remember the name of the song. It's something with the "Happy place". I know the tune but just don't know the name.
Anyway, the ride was great. After we came out, we then headed to Haunted Mansion. There was no waiting time at all but let me tell you. I rode the Haunted Mansion countless time but never at 10pm at night. It was creepy to say the least. It's definitely the best time to take that ride. After that, we were just hanging by the castle admiring how pretty it was the water reflection from to the castle in complete darkness. Obviously, more pictures.
DSCN0179.jpg

By the time we had enough MK, it's already after 11:00pm. It's time to head back to WL. Tomorrow is another day. However, even I was very tired, I was only able to sleep for just a few hours. My mind is still thinking about the camera bag. Will it get here or will it get lost? If it get here, will it be in pieces or still in one piece? The stress was wearing me out or maybe I am just worry too much. Nonetheless, I managed to get a few hours of sleep any way. DW probably fell asleep before her head even hit the pillow. LOL...

You are one lucky man

I would give anything to eat like you do, but instead I'll live just vicariously through your pictures and sigh

Enjoying your report! I really like the picture of the castle with the sun reflecting on it.:)

I was thinking. I have never experience one CM gave us any attitude whatsoever no matter where we are or what we want. What does Disney feed these CM with? Did they paid them that well to be that happy all the time?
No not at all...I have several friends that work at WDW and believe me they don't get paid NEARLY enough for all the great things they do...how they bring "the magic" to visitors...they get paid peanuts while Disney's CEO Bob Iger gets a 51 million dollar bonus! :mad: The CMs do it because of their love of Disney...it's a shame they don't get paid as well.:sad2:

Sitting on the edge of my seating hoping your camera makes it!

Love the update!

Questions:
1. Will the CM always ask if you have the meal plan?? We've never used it before this next trip. I don't remember them asking before. At the end of the meal, do you get a receipt to show you how much the meal would have cost? I don't know how you would know what the tip would be without this. Do you have to figure it out as you are ordering?

2. Did you write down all the details of what you ate for your TR? I would not be able to remember all of that. Those pictures are amazing!! (I can't even imagine what your pictures will look like when you get your camera) WOW:worship:

We are going to try TTS this trip. We love Italian food in our house. Thanks for the review.

Can't wait for more!!popcorn::

Saved by the food!! I'm sorry to hear about your camera bag. It must have been devastating to find that it hadn't made the trip when you spent so much time preparing. I'm waiting to find out if it makes it there in time!!! Your DW's camera takes really nice pics tho!

Great trip report!!!!:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Topdog I am enjoying your trip report very much! :goodvibes And the pictures. :thumbsup2 I am subscribing so I don't miss any of it. popcorn::
I have to wait at least another year before we can return to WDW and the LODGE!

You are one lucky man

I would give anything to eat like you do, but instead I'll live just vicariously through your pictures and sigh
Ha! Ha! Trust me. It was not easy. Fortunately, we were able to burn it up fairly quickly when we walk around the park.
Enjoying your report! I really like the picture of the castle with the sun reflecting on it.:)
Thanks. That was taken with the newer point & shoot camera.

No not at all...I have several friends that work at WDW and believe me they don't get paid NEARLY enough for all the great things they do...how they bring "the magic" to visitors...they get paid peanuts while Disney's CEO Bob Iger gets a 51 million dollar bonus! :mad: The CMs do it because of their love of Disney...it's a shame they don't get paid as well.:sad2:

Sitting on the edge of my seating hoping your camera makes it!
Thanks for the well wish. I really wish the CEO realize how important the CMs are. They really set the stage as soon as the customer cross that entrance.

Reason I said that was because there's another "member" in this trip. I did not mention it because it seem very "silly." It's a Hallmark Xmas stuff bear (we name him "Ted") that travel with us on every trip. It's a long story why we did that.

Long story short, in 1995, my DW's first trip, we drove down to WDW from PA and we were staying at PR. When we drove pass the WDW front gate, Ted was laying on the dash. The CM at the gate spotted him right away and asked us does he need any special care? At first, I thought the CM was just trying to be funny. As I read more about how the CM conduct with their customers, I realize they are very observing and it's part of their working culture. It does make their customer feel very welcoming and special.

Since then, I've been trying to understand how that work from the training side. Not to mention, the business unit I work for has a very large customer service unit, about 4-500 people. At one point, my company even thought about the idea to sent some of us to get train at Disney University. They stopped short due to budget reason.

Love the update!

Questions:
1. Will the CM always ask if you have the meal plan?? We've never used it before this next trip. I don't remember them asking before. At the end of the meal, do you get a receipt to show you how much the meal would have cost? I don't know how you would know what the tip would be without this. Do you have to figure it out as you are ordering?

2. Did you write down all the details of what you ate for your TR? I would not be able to remember all of that. Those pictures are amazing!! (I can't even imagine what your pictures will look like when you get your camera) WOW:worship:

We are going to try TTS this trip. We love Italian food in our house. Thanks for the review.

Can't wait for more!!popcorn::

Great question.
Most of the CM did asked us about the meal plan. However, I think it's more of a confirmation to the CM. From what I understand, when we make our ADR, our dining plan information is already in the system. They printed out a little note and give it to the CM when we get seated. That way, the CM already know we have the meal plan. I believe the restaurant we "crash" in with out reservation did not ask us about the meal plan. We usually mention it to the CM before we order anything. CM will tell us what we can order since there is a different between regular meal plan and the deluxe meal plan which is what we have.

When the check comes, it does list every item we ordered and the price of every item we ordered plus the grand total of the food and tax. It also suggest how much tips you want to put down on the receipt. They printed out 18% and 20%; it even shown the dollar amount too. All I did was to circle one of them and the CM will take it with my Kingdom key card then charge it to my room. You also has the option to write down more or less tips in dollar amount as well should you opt not to choose the 18 or 20% tips.

When CM came back with the receipt for me to sign, there were 2 receipt I need to sign. One is for the tips only (for most of the meal, I gave the CM a minimum of 18%. There were a couple I gave 20% because the CM did worked very hard.) and the other is for the food but it should show $0, I think. We did get a copy of the receipt too but it also show $0 plus how many point we have left on our meal plan. Every meal we ate is 1 point per person per meal. 7 day for 2 people with 3 meals per day, that's 42 points all together. After TTS, the receipt shown we have 38 points left.

For the most part, that's how it work on every restaurant we went to. There were a couple that work a little different. But in general, that's how it work.

One other thing I forget to mention is every single CM knows the menu like the back of their hand. Not one CM has forgotten anything what's on menu or how it was prepare. Very impressive. :thumbsup2 There was no cheat sheet either.

Thank you for the compliment about the pictures. No, I don't take notes through out the trip. It's a work habit of mine. My way of think is if I wrote it down then I don't have to memorize it. Then when I loose my note, I won't remember anything anymore. But if I force myself to memorize everything, then the information stays with me for good. I've been doing this since after college. However, it does has some draw back. If I got some major distraction, I will forget some details. Case and point; look what happened to my camera bag. :rotfl2:

However, there is a little trick I have to help me remember every thing we did during vacation. Doing Disney for 7 days is a lot of stuff to cramp in. Even this brain can't retain every thing we did. Since I took so many pictures along the way every day, I just organize all my picture at the end of the trip by day. Day1, day2... Every picture has a time stamp. I just follow the chronological order of the files and that will tell me where did I went to or stop by at what date and what time. No need to remember anything. Very easy to follow. It takes a little time to organize them but once it's done, it tells me the whole story.

As for the food, I did took picture on a few menu. Mostly I rely on surfing the net. Disney site has some. Allears.net has some and DIS has some also. As soon as I see the menu, I can put 2 and 2 together. I believe there might be one or two I can't find the menu. That's because of Valentine day. The restaurant has a special menu create for that day so I won't able to find it any where on the net. I will just have to do my best to remember it.

Saved by the food!! I'm sorry to hear about your camera bag. It must have been devastating to find that it hadn't made the trip when you spent so much time preparing. I'm waiting to find out if it makes it there in time!!! Your DW's camera takes really nice pics tho!

Great trip report!!!!:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
Thank you for the kind words. Hope you enjoy the TR.
Topdog I am enjoying your trip report very much! :goodvibes And the pictures. :thumbsup2 I am subscribing so I don't miss any of it. popcorn::
I have to wait at least another year before we can return to WDW and the LODGE!
Glad you like the TR. It will be a while before I return to WDW also. I can't image we want to stay at any other resort other than WL. I even thought about travel to Yellow Stone Park to stay at the original Old Faithful Inn just to compare. DW already looking at Disney cruise with our friend at the end of this year. :scared1: It really depends on how much it cost and what's my budget. I better not forget my camera bag this time if we end up going. Because there is no way to mail the bag on to a cruise ship unless UPS can helicopter the bag over. :rotfl2:

Glad you like the TR. It will be a while before I return to WDW also. I can't image we want to stay at any other resort other than WL. I even thought about travel to Yellow Stone Park to stay at the original Old Faithful Inn just to compare. DW already looking at Disney cruise with our friend at the end of this year. :scared1: It really depends on how much it cost and what's my budget. I better not forget my camera bag this time if we end up going. Because there is no way to mail the bag on to a cruise ship unless UPS can helicopter the bag over. :rotfl2:[/QUOTE]

Doubtful UPS has oceanic helicopter service, but maybe the coast guard does! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter