What a budget busting summer!

toledo13

A dream is a wish your heart makes.
Did anyone else have a really rough summer, $$ wise?? My goodness, so many things popped up!!

Car repairs- $550
Air Conditioner- $130
Eye Doctor- $600

among other things....

:sad2:

Yes, our 10 year old dog has been to the vet probably once a month... Part of the problem is the vet we keep getting, who sees disaster in everything. We haven't gone once without paying less than $100 (and getting new meds). Usually our bills are in the $200 - $300 range.

New dishwasher, dryer repair...day before leaving for vacation, and deductible on a new roof...from storm damage while on vacation. :headache:

First vacation away from Disney in a few years and look what happens. :upsidedow

Had to put a transmission in the car :scared1: and then the home AC died - turned out a black snake crawled up in the unit and got wrapped around the fan shaft. That and every bill I get going up this year - yikes!

My summer was rough too, I bought a new house and underestimated how much it would cost to run. I went from pretty much bill free to dreading the mailbox.

We're in the same boat:
New C/A unit, $600 emergency vet bill, new to us minivan, graduate tuition (I thought I was being reimbursed a percentage...but I miscalculated), wedding shower & gift, baby shower....

yep..............our list is very close to yours.............

Car AC repair/unexpected eyeglasses/truck emissions repair.

All in the past 30 days.

Luckily our next trip is already paid off.

my dh just smashed our driver side front door window with a rock while mowing last night...oh goody i love spending money on stuff like that. (Im just seriously glad I wasnt the one mowing when it happened)

We actually had a pretty good summer budgetwise- especially compared to last summer when the sides of the driveway washed out in a storm and we had to fix it fast before the tar collapsed at the edges and our kitten broke her leg- requiring surgery involving pins and a plate :scared1: Counting our blessings this year!

Right there with you, my friends!!! We had saved $3000 for our Disney trip in January. Needless to say, that is GONE and THEN SOME. I am hoping for some kind of major discount or we will have to cancel our trip!!

DS gets braces sooner than expected- $1400

taking van to get oil changed and finding out we need new brakes - $400

traveling to cousin's wedding (instead of our usual summer beach trip :sad1:) -hotel/tux rental for hubby/food/gas/etc - $1000

returning home to find the upstairs air conditioning had gone out (fortunately they could fix it instead of having to replace it) - $400

DS starts football (signup/uniform/pads,etc)- $300

ALL 3 kids birthdays over the summer - $500

DH professional exam fee (could mean a raise though!) - $250

Sigh...my ever optomistic DH says "at least we had the money!" but in my head all I can think is "but that was our DISNEY money!" :sad2:

We have had the worst summer possible. Our bathroom pipe broke when we were out of town over Memorial Day. Water ran from Saturday until Monday. Everything was completely ruined. Both the msinfloor and basement were gutted to the studs. Our insurance is covering a lot but we are paying a lot out of pocket too. Things that they paid to repair we thought were too old to put the money into and bought new. Like the air condition/ heating system, our washer and dryer. And then the upgrades for cabinets and flooring. I will have a completely new house inside but we are so over our budget it is not even funny! DH keeps telling me not to worry and we will be so glad we did all we are doing before we move back in but I hate having so much money spent at one time!

I hear ya. I had to get the A/C fixed that was $169 but at least it runs much better and my electric bill dropped $25 this month. I also needed new contacts, and I have vision ins but they only pay for so much. The DR charges a fitting fee among other things. UGH! So there was another $200. Plus had to have some scripts filled and dr visits so there's another $100.

We were going to go to WDW the week before Memorial Day, but kind of glad we had to cancel. They had that low pressure that dumped all that rain on FL so that might have been a blessing. Our trip money went to fixing my car $1K worth of repairs, bought a used riding lawn mower for $600 and it needed $800 worth of repairs, and had to fix up some stuff after a tornado hit us. The seller of that mower was never home and long gone. :sad2: We still ended up with a great deal since it was a 2 year old craftsman that does look brand new and cost over $2500. I was still upset about that whole deal. :headache: We also had to have our washing machine repaired. Another $120 and the part only cost $10! ACK!!!! Lesson learned on that one. I found the problem using the net plus step by step instructions with pics on how to fix it. DH was too scared to do it and thought he would make it worse.

We didn't take a "real" vacation because of dental bills, car problems (that resulted in a new car), and a major gutter leak that damaged the siding. It just seemed foolish to spend the money when every time we turned around there was another $1000 expense.

We really have to get our house painted next year and I'm not looking forward to the expense. We redid the kitchen when we moved in and had to buy all new appliances (exc. dishwasher and microwave.)

As much as I hate the idea behind this thought... at least we're all in the same boat together!! I guess? :confused3:rotfl::sad2:

Well, it didn't happen this summer but last year close to this time. We had just moved here to Texas from North Carolina. My older son was running around the park playing with his cousins and being chased by my cousins husband. Well, the boy can run. Extremely fast. He was running and his hand hit a pole. He came up to us holding his hand and his finger was swollen. We thought he had just jammed it. A week later, finger is still swollen and now purple. Took him to the doctor. It was broken.

Turned out that it was broken in a joint so they had to make sure they fixed it correctly or he would have problems with the finger long term.

$15,000 later.....

We are still paying on it :scared1:

Oh! The $15,000 is only for the surgery. That's not the doctors visits and therapy afterwards. :headache:

Aaaaaaand we had no insurance! :rolleyes:

No real issues this year...so far. We quinch and cover our eyes whenever we see him running now lol

$400 for van repairs (still need rear brakes and shocks)
DH's work car gave out and we are now sharing said van
contacts
school fees for DD
all new shoes for DD who went thru a growth spurt
birthdays

I should not be so sad, but as our vacation is in a couple of weeks it puts a whole damper on it. Everything is paid for, but every time I spend a dime, I will be thinking I should put it in the new car fund. Fortunately I just got a new job that starts next week, and DH has 2 jobs. We will have enough saved for a new to us car in about 2 months and then we can replace our EF. But I am still sad:(

:headache: We also had to have our washing machine repaired. Another $120 and the part only cost $10! ACK!!!! Lesson learned on that one. I found the problem using the net plus step by step instructions with pics on how to fix it. DH was too scared to do it and thought he would make it worse.

I hear ya...we found out the part for our dryer was $17 and could have installed it ourselves after we paid over $200 to have it done. UGH!!

I never knew how expensive it is to have someone in a hospital 2 hours away from home.

hotel $54
food $150
gas $300
funeral clothes $100
chiropractor bills from sleeping in a hospital chair for 3 days $300
Dr. bills and ultra sound bill. my father died of an aneurysm and the surgeon ordered me and my siblings to go get checked now because my father and grandfather had them in the same spot. $500

School clothes for daughter $200
school fees $25

That is just what I can think of at the moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter